Promoting Hab1

Have something to say about Hab1.com? Or perhaps you'd like to make a suggestion. You can post such things relating to Hab1.com here. This forum will also be used for announcements related to the site/forum/etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Promoting Hab1

Post by Benji »

Thousands of people have become fans of Space Camp on Facebook, yet the Hab1 Forum has less than 500 registered members. I think there's clearly demand for Hab1.com, but people have trouble finding it; you wouldn't know it's here unless someone tells you about it, even if you're looking for it (it's not high up in the search rankings).

If we were to start promoting Hab1.com, this forum would become busier and more diverse; this could be a good thing as more interesting discussions start taking place, or a bad thing as the community we have becomes diluted. So, I pose to you the following questions:

1. How did you find out about Hab1.com?
2. Would you like to see the community grow?
3. How can we promote the site to accomplish this?
Ad astra per aspera.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I found out about Hab1 because counselor Brent told me that an embarrassing story about him was posted here. It took me a while to find it because I didn't have the correct URL, but I'm glad I kept trying.

I have four ideas for promoting this site:

1. A note in the graduation materials telling campers about the site
2. Posting links in related Facebook groups
3. Asking the USSRC to hang our poster somewhere visible to campers
4. Having counselors tell their groups about it

So there's my two cents, what ideas do you all have?
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I found this sight one night many many years ago it seems like when missng space camp after being gone from camp for 5 years or so at that point. I was searching for anything space camp and found this sight. I think their were 5 posts here at the time total. Then within a year the forum exploded with people and posts. Sadly as people left for college and camp years ended it has sloed down dramaticly compared to those days.

As for advertising i don't have much beyond what Benji said. Advertising it on Facebook and myspace twitter etc would probably be a big boost. and as much of the rest as we can. I know many counselors do tell their teams about this sight I know i did but something in the grad packs would be helpful. alot of kids probably are told about it but forget or don't right down the URL.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I believe that I found this site in a search one night a few years back. Advertising on sites like facebook and myspace can help to promote this site and bring more people and their adventures or questions to us.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I found this site while looking for information before the first time I went to camp. I think that mentioning the site on facebook/myspace and on different groups on those sites would help a lot. I'm sure once people know about it they'll be more inclined to join.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

I found this site when I was at Space Camp. I was in the lobby of the sim pit, next to the cafeteria, and I saw there was a box with a bunch of Vincent Vazzo's stuff in it. I thought to myself, "Wow, this guy must be a Space Camp legend!" So, I read the poster above him, and it mentioned Hab1.com. When I got home, I registered, and voila! Here I am!
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell
CRS
Counselor
Counselor

on the home page

Post by CRS »

If you go to Spacecamp.com homepage and scroll to the bottom there is an icon and link for hab1 along with FB, youtube, and twitter as well. The other ideas are great.
Revan
Camper
Camper

Post by Revan »

I've been posting the Hab1.com link on the Space Camp official FaceBook page.
Space Camp 2005, Team Aldrin.
Space Academy 2008, Team Charon
ASA 2009, Team Von Tiesenhausen
12 Day ASA 2010, Team Liberty Bell
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I found Hab1 during a web search looking for information on camp before I went to adult ASA a few years ago. It does show up in web searches, but you do have to dig a little bit.

I think we would all like to see the community grow. There is a sacrifice of some of the intimacy of the community, but the diversity of ideas and topics that are brought up with more people is, in my opinion, well worth the sacrifice.

I think the promotion ideas which have been stated are good. The more ways these forums are promoted the better chance people have of being aware of them and, in turn, signing up and becoming a part of the conversations.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin