Backpack/Fanny Pack

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

llchart
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Backpack/Fanny Pack

Post by llchart »

I saw a lot of posts about bringing a backpack... Would a fanny pack work just as well? Would it be big enough?

Thanks!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I usually bring a shoulder bag - like a miniature backpack. I hate waistpacks, but that's just me. Whilst travelling I sometimes bring my camelback (it has a mini backpack) because of the nice built-in 2L water reservoir but it's a pain to bring in airports now with the liquid restrictions.

Basically, you need something that will be able to hold the following:

- camera
- small water bottle (especially in summer)
- small notepad and pen/pencil
- wallet
- duct tape (you know, just in case)
- small sunscreen (especially in summer)
- hand sanitiser (optional, but useful at times)
- mobile phone (if you bring one and don't lock it in your locker)

And, if you're really one of those 'be prepared for everything' types, you can carry a sweater for the chilly AC rooms (they're not cold to me, but I'm Canadian), a mini umbrella (not necessary), a multi-tool (only if you're an adult), scissors, bandaids, deck of cards, snacks, etc.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I would recommend a backpack because you are going to be carrying quite a bit around with you. A camera itself would end up taking up taking a lot of room out of your fanny pack. We also got little notebook things that we had to carry around with us-I don't know if they still give them out, but they are bigger than a fanny pack, so you would have to carry it in your hands. Don't forget to bring a couple of pens with you too!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

As far as the notebooks they are quite a bit thinner now and a camp or academy or Aviation challenge might fit folded in half in a fanny pack but i doubt it amnd an advanced academy one would not because its larger in its dimensions though still thin compared to what they use to be.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Anything that will carry a roll of duct tape! that probably would work just fine and its good to be able to carry things around. I always bring a backpack that doubles as my carry-on bag when I fly down.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I agree with the backpack idea. I always take one and it's usually pretty full (water, camera, log book, etc). Also, it's sometimes helpful to be able to carry your flight suit around. Depending on the schedule, there may be days when you need to wear it at times but don't want to wear it the entire day and you don't always have time to go back to the hab.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I recommend a small backpack, as opposed to a waist pack (don't call it a 'fanny' pack around a Brit or Australian unless you want either major blushing or snickering). As others have pointed out, the waist pack is really too small to carry the things you want to carry. The counselors are issued the 'string' backpacks (basically a drawstring bag with strings long enough to form shoulder straps). That's about the right size. You can carry your logbook (even AA size), your camera, a sweater/jacket for cool rooms), and any personal items.

Regarding carrying your cell phone...youth trainees are not allowed to use cell phones, IPODs, MP3s, etc. during the time you are with your team. As a matter of fact, it is highly discouraged that you bring them at all. These things get lost every week. The Space Camp lost and found currently has almost 100 cell phones, five IPOD/MP3s, three digital cameras and two PSPs that have never been claimed. If you bring your phone, LOCK IT IN YOUR LOCKER during the day! Even adults loose these things, trust me. If you must have your music at night (warning, if you are a kid and are seen 'plugged in' during the day, it might be confiscated), LOCK IT IN YOUR LOCKER during the day. These things have been known to grow legs.
Living the dream
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

street wrote:Regarding carrying your cell phone...youth trainees are not allowed to use cell phones, IPODs, MP3s, etc. during the time you are with your team. As a matter of fact, it is highly discouraged that you bring them at all. These things get lost every week. The Space Camp lost and found currently has almost 100 cell phones, five IPOD/MP3s, three digital cameras and two PSPs that have never been claimed.
Yes, of course!

it always astonishes me at hoe things don't get claimed from lsot and found, especially pricey things like phones and iPods. I could use an iPod... maybe I should claim I lost one. Ha!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Having worked last summer in Camper Services where th lost and found is located its amazing what turns up in there. And though a bit of topic if you order a prepaid package which atleast last year came with a bag to put everything in at the very least put your name somewhere in that bag. Because guess what they all look the same and it is amazing how many of them get lost every week and cant be identified. The lost items put in camper services are kept for i believe its about a month sometimes a bit moreafter that things are cleaned out and donated to charity. Otherwise there would be no room in that office. So also if you lose something and dont realise it till you get home contact camper services it may still be there.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

SpaceCanada wrote:
street wrote:Regarding carrying your cell phone...youth trainees are not allowed to use cell phones, IPODs, MP3s, etc. during the time you are with your team. As a matter of fact, it is highly discouraged that you bring them at all. These things get lost every week. The Space Camp lost and found currently has almost 100 cell phones, five IPOD/MP3s, three digital cameras and two PSPs that have never been claimed.
Yes, of course!

it always astonishes me at hoe things don't get claimed from lsot and found, especially pricey things like phones and iPods. I could use an iPod... maybe I should claim I lost one. Ha!
You know why those things are never claimed don't you?

It's because their parents told them not to take them to camp and they did anyway. Admitting that they lost them there would get them in more trouble than saying they lost them at home :(
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08