[Skylab] Story on Front Page

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

[Skylab] Story on Front Page

Post by Boomerang »

If you havent seen it take a look but vincent posted an article about the deteriorating condition of the old skylab trainer that use to be in the space and rocket center. It also on a disturbing note mentioned people being allowed to climb inside the apollo 16 command module for a 10,000 dollar donation. A note on the second part i have seen pictures of someone recently by the looks of it in the gemini trainer thats in the museum and ewas disturnbed by this then. I have never seen anyone in the apiollo 16 command module but if the gemini is allowed i wouldntr be suprised about apollo. I assumed the person in the gemini capsule may have been changing out the light bulbs since its lit from the inside. However this is still not allowed by the Smithsonian. I know someone who use to get to change the bulbs in the apollo 12 cm and the Smithsonian put an end to that many years ago.

As someone who works in a museum this is disturbing to me if true. Its unprofessional and its risking serious damage to a national treasure. If true and i cant say for sure that it is because i don't know they need to end this practice.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

While the donations are good, one slip and the module could be wrecked. Just imagine somebody accidentally kicking one of the panals. This is probably not the best idea...
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

All the more reason that I think Space Camp needs Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo sims. Not only can you teach the kids about the early days of the American space program, but the donors can play on the sims to their hearts content and leave the museum pieces alone.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Archives

Post by Conan »

I remember in 1996 our ASA team toured the Library in the USSRC. The Librarian told us of finding old archival films of early rocket tests at Marshall. They were stored in a sub-basement under the Omnimax theatre with no climate-control. She didn't know anything about proper film preservation, so she just left them there! I emailed the National Archives and the American Film Institute at that time to see if they could offer to preserve the films but I never heard back if they did.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

a source i have who wishes to remain anonymous but is reliable has contacted the Smithsonian and recieved the following response

"I wanted to let you know that we are on top of this (as best we can). There is a dispute between USSRC staff and volunteers regarding what happened and we continue to investigate as well as insist that Smithsonian policies limiting access to artifacts be adhered to in the future.

I do appreciate you bring this to our attention."

Allan Needell
Curator, Space History Division, NASM
v. 202/633-2412: f. 202/312-2859
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

I was flabbergasted to read the front page story! It seems like with the new Davidson building there would be room to return the Skylab to the museum!

bnavier brings up a good point about the Sims. I know there have been a few posts about the furture of the sims, post STS, in the Forum. Wouldn't it be neat to have older Nasa program missions? It would almost be a juxtiposition directly with the new Ares vehicles.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

last summer during alumni weekend I was hanging out at Otters when a couple of Space Camp councilers sat down at the bar near me. After a few drinks, they began to tell stories about sneaky things they done after hours around the museam. One of them mentioned that they had keys to all of the exhibits, and would allow themselves to sit in the Blackbird cockpit, try on the spacesuits on the main floor, and do other things I'm sure the USSRC wouldn't appreciate them doing. It's a good bet they were also helping themselves to Casper and the Gemini trainers as well.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
JVH
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JVH »

I do not think that this is the case. The space camp counselors do not have the keys to that kind of stuff in the museum. Being a new counselor, I have not heard of the Counselors letting themselves in the trainers or Casper. The museum staff is the department that would have that kind of access, but again I haven't heard of anyone letting themselves into the capsules.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I was recently down at the USSRC and noticed that at least from my car that it appears that the cover has as at least partially been put back in place.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

JVH wrote:I do not think that this is the case. The space camp counselors do not have the keys to that kind of stuff in the museum. Being a new counselor, I have not heard of the Counselors letting themselves in the trainers or Casper. The museum staff is the department that would have that kind of access, but again I haven't heard of anyone letting themselves into the capsules.
Well I just assumed they were councilors, so they could have been museum staff...
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Personally, I suspect they were BSing you. It happens a lot when you mix cocky folks and liquor and Otters. :? You can be assured if a counselor or any employee was ever found doing such a thing they'd be gone in a heartbeat!
Living the dream