write up my summer

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

write up my summer

Post by Boomerang »

here it is my summer. Pictures still coming

Well here atlast is the long promised write up of my summer or as much of it as i can remember. Remember it was 3 months so its hard to get everything down but i'll try to get as much down here as possible.

May 13th 2007 i flew to Huntsville arriving in the familiar airport tha i had been through so many times. Though due to some remodeling it looked a little diffrent. The one strange part was noone was at the gate to meet me like there had always been before. I knew someone was meeting me so i headed down to the baggage claim where i spotted two counselors in space camp jackets. One i'd laer work with throughout the summer callsign Baywatch the other i don't remember who it was. Before i went to them Charity Nehls aka alumni Andi spotted me and introduced herself. We grabbed my bags and went to her car to head off to the place that would be my home for the next three months. On arrival we went to Hab 1 where registration was in full swing for the upcoming week however it was still the slow period of the year so it wasnt busy. In Hab 1 i met Kim Dickerson the Chief RA and head RA for Hab1, and Jason callsign Tiller the head RA for Hab 3. Also met Matt Green the weekend manager, i also believe i met Jeramy and a few others at that point. I got my key and headed to Hab 2 where i'd be staying in roome B-19 right next to sick bay and orion bay. I started unpacking then headed over to the museum just to take a look around. At 4:30 i went to dinner where i met Vincent for the first time we sat and talked for a while before i eventually returned to the Hab eventually making my way up to hab 1 to the ward room whee i met a few of the counselors who were working there this summer. Later that night i also ran into a friend from home i use to work with who was also there for the summer. I went to bed that night knowing i had to be up early and a long day lay ahead.

The next morning came bright and early. I headed over to the educator training facility to start our orientation. The first thing up that morning was getting our ID photos taken. We headed over to Human Resources for the pictures then back over to the ETF for the endless line of paperwork as well as introductions etc. Paperwork took up the morning. After lunch we went for our drug test at a nearby clinic then returned this time to Aviation Challenge. Most of that afternoon was more welcome stuff intros and ice breakers. We also got to fly the mach 2 sims for the first time. We were divided into 3 teams. The Skinny Dragons, Wild Ducks, and Top Hatters each with a mentor counselor. I was on the skinny dragons team with Shaggy as the leader. We may not have had the most team sirit that definately went to the Wild Ducks but we had the best team cohesion of any of the three groups. Training lasted 2 weeks covering everything we would need to know to have a mach 1 or 2 team. Mach 3 team leaders get an additional week of training following the 2 weeks. During that 2 weeks we had to cover flight simulator sessions we would have to teach as well as flew them, lectures in survival, aircraft, history, etc. And we had to be checked out and certified on all equipment used. As part of that we were tested on everything we covered having to score an 85 or higher to pass an you had 2 chances to pass. we also had to do teachback on certain lectures. We basicly went through 2 weeks of camp except we had to be responsible for everything we learned when tested on it. At the end of 2 weeks we first witnessed an AC graduation as well as helped run it then we had our own where we were all presented our wings and certificates that officialy made us counselors. after graduation we had a cookout at AC with all the new counselors, current counselors management and any family that came to graduation. A tip here for anyone wishing to become a counselor in any progrm. don't take anything for granted. If you think you know your stuff you can always know it better. Study yourself and be prepared when it comes to all tests and teach backs. They ar not going to just hand you your counselor wings you will have to earn them. If anyne coud be a counselor everyone would do it. It is alot of fun but it is work and you do have to take training seriously if you want to get through it.

After training was over it was time to get down to work. For some it ment mach 3 training. Others got teams right away. And others had to wait as AC was just getting started for summer. For me the next 2 weeks began a job that would continue all summer working in camper services at night. Camper services is where name tags are made, grad packs made and paperwork proccessed among other things. And this summer was the center for a new project where eac team was given a digital camera for the week and expected to take pictures of the team then they were burned onto cds and sold at graduation. The first couple of weeks were just paperwork and answering phones. Gave me days to reaquaint myself with my second home and get to know my coworkers. Being in a wheel chair it was difficult to work out the logistics of having a team so most of the summer i was working support and camper services as well as working as a museum guide.

June 13th the official 25th anniversary of Space Camp and the day of the Hall of Fame Dinner. I had thhe day off and would work the event that night. I had to go to a dress rehearsal that morning and could tell already this was going to be big. The Von Braun Center was decked out and we were ready. 8 people were to be inducted tha night and i was to be the door greeter and would get to meet all of them as well as all the guest speakers. I also met two hab 1 members that morning. When that evening came i was there in blue flight suit ready to go. Before the evening was over i met asronauts Jim Halsal, Story Musgrave, Jan Davis, and Dottie Metcalfe Linnenberger, Space Camp Founder Ed Buckbee, and actor and Star Trek Captain William Shatner. Once all the greeting was done i got to go inside and enjoy te dinner. It included historic space camp footage from the last 25 years. Speakers from digntaries and astronauts, the hall of fame inductions, and the presentation to the Space Camp #1 fan. The evening was incredible and just the beginning of the 25th anniversary celebration.

The following day the first of the two alumni camps began. Though i wasnt a participant in the first camp i spent alot of time with them getting to know a great bunch of guys and girls who shared my same love for space camp. We had 2 ATO's to otters during the weekend one with Astronaut Hoot Gibson a highlight of the week after already enjoying dinner with him. We also had lunch at the marriott on sunday after their graduation. Even not being on the team i was sorry to see them leave that day.

The next day a monday we had another anniversar celebration at the camp. It was the anniversary of the first graduation. That night we had dinner in the shuttle park to the recorded music of the astronaut band Max Q. Then that night we had fire works with the Saturn V replica as a backdrop. When i saw the trainees out there watching i felt the same magic i had 16 year arlier sitting there as a camper.

In the weeks that followed i got to work AC day support running the mach 1 sim room and grading Top Gun competitions. Still working camper services at nights. I also spent several weeks working as a Museum guide and even worked space side support for a week. The Saturn V was also moved to its new location during this period which i got to see. I also got to attend the Apollo Saturn Reunion where i met astronauts Walt Cunningham, and Owen Garriott and fomer NASA administrator George Mueller. This included another Fire Works display which was just as impressive.

A third display also took place for the opening of the International Space Camp Week near the end of July. That was a fun week getting to meet and work with trainees from all over the world. I was also back on AC support for several weeks doing more of the same but still no team.

Then August 2 the second alumni camp began and this time i attended as a trainee. I had a blast with nother great team and hot to really enjoy myself. Got to use the shuttle simulators for the first time since 1998, got to show off my skills in the AC sims and see what cm is like today verses when i was going there. Plus another dinner with Hoot Gibson and a night at the museum with Astronaut Bob Springer. The night before graduation all of us went to one of our teammates house and watched and overquoted Space Camp the Movie. Sunday we graduated then went to lunch and later that night dinner. That was a great weekend and we have hopes of doing it again someday as a group.

After the Alumni camp i realised my summer was coming to an end. With only 3 weeks left to go. I couldnt believe it was almost over. The first 2 weeks was spent doing Ac support and Camper services. Then finaly with some help from my friends thanks Petru and Critter especially i got a team my last week there. I was given the Mach 2 Falcons team. 12 boys and 3 girls. It was a great team with who made a tough week easier. I shared day duties with Critter who helped me out when i couldnt do something and Mouse was the night counselor. I was glad my one team was one of the good ones and hopefully all will return next summer. Though there were a few rough spots as always we had a great week an i was sorry to see them go. When they graduated on Friday i got to see their evals and all seemed to enjoy it as much as i did. and that afternoon i had 1 last job to do we went to the sims and did everything we could to crash the system. We never did but it was fun trying. Then i clocked out for the last time and my job their was over.

the nextnight i went out with several other counselors to a local bar where we just had a good time and enjoyed the time together. I soent that whole day packing. When sunday came i turned in my uniforms and did my last laundry and just tried to enjoy the moments i had left there. Monday came way too soon and before i knew it i was saying goodbye and boarding the van to the airport. I made it home that night having lost my luggage but it came in the next day. Now i just cant believe its all over. I cant wait till january and the possibility of returning to camp. I recomend the experiance to anyone who is considering it. Its hrd work and long hours and the pay isnt great but it is entirely worth it.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Thanks for the write up, Boomerang! It truely is an incredible experience and I'm glad you had a great one.

Welcome to the ranks of being a veteran counselor!!! :D
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

What a wonderful summer! Thank you for taking the time to write up a summary for everyone. I am glad you had such a great time and that you want to retuen. Space Camp and Aviation Challenge need people like you to keep the programme going strong!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

great write up! :) sooner or later I'll finish my alumni camp writeup too and post it on here..haha!
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Sounds like you had a great summer! I was sorry to leave after the alumni camp was over too.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Sorry I took me forever to respond. It looks like you had some high and lows but overall it sounds like you had some fun.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Hey, you forgot to mention you met Lisa and I and ATOed with us at Otters... er, I mean, specifically ;)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Richasi wrote:Hey, you forgot to mention you met Lisa and I and ATOed with us at Otters... er, I mean, specifically ;)
I agree. I had no mention. It made me so sad! :cry:
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

pilotgirl21 wrote:I agree. I had no mention. It made me so sad! :cry:
See how we rank? :)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Richasi wrote:See how we rank? :)
I guess that we weren't that important after all!