Memoirs of an '87 Camper

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Heatmizuh
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Memoirs of an '87 Camper

Post by Heatmizuh »

Yep, you read that right. 1987. Things were a lot different back then than the Space Camp you all know now.

Such as:

Several of my counselors were actually in the Space Camp movie, which had filmed the previous year in Huntsville. The film company donated several copies of the film to Camp for us to watch. Sure enough, they were extras in several scenes.

Habitat? What habitat? Our living quarters were above the cafeteria - basically a big open room with bunk beds, and about zero privacy.

Same for the shower. Big open room.

I don't know how it is now, be we had the run of the entire place 24 hours a day. Hide and seek at 3am is a blast.

Buzz Aldrin spoke at our graduation.

Plus a ton of other fun things...Like assembling giant tetrahedrons in the UAH swimming pool, as well as the NBT.

Feel free to ask some questions about Camp back in my day, I'd love to answer them -- brings back great memories.

Troy
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

When I went to Christmas camp in 2003 we had the run of the place when the musuem was closed to the public. We ran through the museum inside and out playing hide and seek. It was a great time.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

At Alumni Camp, you can go on photographic missions at midnight. Those are fun! :P

-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

Pete Conrad Fan wrote:At Alumni Camp, you can go on photographic missions at midnight. Those are fun! :P
hahahaha, I wonder who you did that with! :D ummddeeeeeedummmm!
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

iheartspacecamp wrote:
Pete Conrad Fan wrote:At Alumni Camp, you can go on photographic missions at midnight. Those are fun! :P
hahahaha, I wonder who you did that with! :D ummddeeeeeedummmm!
No idea!!! Image
-Sarah

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I went to Level I in the summer of 1989. The hab was open then, but the showers (even on the girls floor) didn't have any curtains or dividers. Everyone showered in their swim suits.
We did pool time at UAH, building tetrahedrons and practicing getting into emergency rafts (both one and multi-person rafts). I don't remember which shuttle simulators were there, but there weren't many.

Last time was there was for Level II (now ASA) in 1992. I know a lot has changed since then as well. And in about two weeks, I get to go see it all when I go for Adult ASA. Whoo-Hoo!!
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper

gt0163c wrote:I went to Level I in the summer of 1989. The hab was open then, but the showers (even on the girls floor) didn't have any curtains or dividers. Everyone showered in their swim suits.
We did pool time at UAH, building tetrahedrons and practicing getting into emergency rafts (both one and multi-person rafts). I don't remember which shuttle simulators were there, but there weren't many.

Last time was there was for Level II (now ASA) in 1992. I know a lot has changed since then as well. And in about two weeks, I get to go see it all when I go for Adult ASA. Whoo-Hoo!!
Yes!! I did pool time! I recently transferred my video (remember that option?) to dvd and watched us swimming around in the pool. I don't recall the shower situation, but I know it wasn't what it is now. I think it was open when I was there too.

Oh, and I didn't get to SCB Friday, but she's boxed up and shipping out tomorrow.
-Sarah

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

welcome, Troy! there are a few old-timers on here like yourself who were around in your day. Guys like Joker, Trigger, and b52murph to name a few. Here is a huge thread in the Space Camp movie forum called "before the hab" that you may find interesting:

http://www.hab1.com/HabForum/viewtopic.php?t=359
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Heatmizuh
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Awesome

Post by Heatmizuh »

Ah, the old, old days.

Reading through it brought back some more memories. Like the girls staying at the hotel across the way.

I was in Academy in '87 -- We all had black baseball caps with our team names on them -- Discovery (Mine), Pathfinder, Atlantis, Colombia, Challenger (I know, still fresh in everone's mind), and Enterprise.

I do recall the 1/6th Moon Sim...basically a reverse pogo stick chair. And then's there's the six degrees of freedom air-hockey chair, which I nearly gave myself a concussion on. We all were in EVA suits that were made for adults, thus cumbersome and claustraphobic to deal with.

The Marshall tour was effing awesome, as I recall.

Troy
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

monkeynautt wrote:When I went to Christmas camp in 2003 we had the run of the place when the musuem was closed to the public. We ran through the museum inside and out playing hide and seek. It was a great time.
Always a good time. Especially when trying to evade the security guards. ;)
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993