My Observations.

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

My Observations.

Post by Fatal291 »

Hello I have been looking at media from space camp.. mainly youtube vids. Anyways I was wondering whats the difference between Space Camp Alabama and Florida. I had no idea there was one in Florida. I'm From Virginia and I'm trying to find the closest location and the most fun.

From what I've seen it seems like a lot of joking around.. I am always serious i know. In a lot of the videos i see a lot of the counselors usually looking like "hurry up already" or something. its funny actually. I dont want to point any of them out but in most of the youtube vids the kids are goofing off and the counselors look annoyed. Well anyways i was just wondering whats the difference between the alabama location and the florida location, and how often are you working.

Also has the price for the suits changed? How come you can't take the ones you wear home i mean its not like you dont pay enough..
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

The Florida location has closed. They now do a 1 day called ATX (Astronaut Training Experience) and the summer I believe has a day camp, but nothing close to what it used to be.
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

So Alabama is the only Space Camp Location in the US?
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Alabama is the only U.S. Space Camp currently running. However there are other, simliar programs. The Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas runs what seems to be a similiar program. http://www.cosmo.org/camps/ Their camps generally include a trip to either Johnson or Kennedy Space Center, location dependent on which level you attend. The adult programs look a good bit less involved than Space Camp's. Prices seem to be similiar. I've never been to the Cosmosphere, but hope to go at some point in the not too distant future. And many science museums and some colleges run space camps, generally in the summers. Many of these are day camp type programs and most are geared towards younger kids. But, as far as I can tell, none of these camps (even the Cosmosphere) have anywhere near the set-up that Space Camp in Huntsville has. It is expensive, and for most people it does require air travel (which adds to the expense, unless you've got frequent flyer miles). But, from the research that I've done, it's the best in terms of facilities and program.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

If you get a good team, there's an even mix of both being serious and joking around. How old are you if you dont mind me asking? If you're in an older group, things would def be more serious....most of the time. :) A bunch of us just got back from the Alumni session where our ages ranged from 20-45 and there was definitely some great joking around but we all got down to business when we had to. :)

I believe the price of the flight suit is $80, not too bad really. Yeah you pay a lot for the camp itself and it would be great if they would just give you one but you definitely get your moneys worth for the training and camp experience! :)

Don't worry about the goofing off.. you'll have a great time regardless!
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

im 18, 19 in dec. wow they go to the space centers ive never gone to either plus they get exclusive tour.. but they are farther like you said :cry: