All of my counselors left...

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Deimos
Camper
Camper

All of my counselors left...

Post by Deimos »

I have heard that all my counselors left now. Pat and Lindsay Gill left, then Lunchbox and Julie from last year, lunchbox i heard was fired, and now our 2 counselors from this year, Rachel A and Crystal Robinson are leaving. Sad since i usually look forward to seeing them the next years. Oh well.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the only 2 i recognise are the last 2 names and yes they are leaving in the next couple of weeks. Sadly we have lost some good counselors this year.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

That's a shame. I know I wish I could have done it longer. The counselors I worked with did it for the love of the program, definitely not for the pay.
1MileCrash
Camper
Camper

Post by 1MileCrash »

aren't a lot of the councilors college kids that are doing it for a summer job or for the experience?

i know that one or tow of my councilors were college kids that once they finished their schooling they moved on to full time jobs elsewhere.

another was doing the same thing until he finished his degree and went into the marines as a pilot.
Space Camp - July 1997, Titusville, FL, Team Orion
Space Academy - July 1998, Huntsville, AL, Team BDM
Advanced Space Academy - July 1999, Huntsville, AL, Team Gagarin
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Yes most are college students but all i will say is of the above people i knew this summer and others not listed they had other reasons for leaving. College is often part of it but definately not all of it. However at this time i am not going to go into other reasons and thats all i will say.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

I haven't been on here in forever... but the USSRC does in fact fire people on occasion. Haha. Funny stories I can think of....
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

1MileCrash wrote:aren't a lot of the councilors college kids that are doing it for a summer job or for the experience?

i know that one or two of my councilors were college kids that once they finished their schooling they moved on to full time jobs elsewhere.
That's exactly what happened to me. I did it for the three summers between years at college and then moved on to a full time job after I graduated. I'm still at that job today, so for me, it was the right move.
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

Some of us get burned out. Working 160+ hour pay periods gets tiring, and while we love the campers, there's sometimes too much BS to put up with.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Hi Repeat long time no see. Formerly LB206 here now working at AC for the summer atleast for a few more days. And Repeat is right the job as fun as it can be is exhausting and counselors really do burn out.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Repeat wrote:Some of us get burned out. Working 160+ hour pay periods gets tiring, and while we love the campers, there's sometimes too much BS to put up with.

It always hit me worst mid to late August. 160 work hours is no joke either. I was one of the late ones back to school. Wednesday after Labor Day. So, I'd work the doubles after everyone went back. My campers didn't have a day AND night counselor. They got me...all day...every day. Plus, at the time, we had airport staff and I helped out with that. I had some weeks where I'd be working 16+ hour days without a day off.

And yet, I still miss the silver Pringle cans. :wink:
Rabbit
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Rabbit »

JennieM wrote:They got me...all day...every day. Plus, at the time, we had airport staff and I helped out with that. I had some weeks where I'd be working 16+ hour days without a day off.
This is the truth. Especially with the Mach III counselors while I was at AC. Some of those guys regularly had double teams. With Mach III that often means going to bed after your campers do anytime from 11pm-1am and getting up before your trainees did at 6am. And it's not your normal camp job where the kids have downtime (at least when I was there) so you're going all the time. Except when we slept at the IMax. When you see the same movie every week it's easy to train yourself to wake up at the right time. ;) And don't forget if you don't have double teams, you have support. It's a really fun job, but it can wear on you. Sometimes I wonder how we managed all that, plus our off time activities. Wow!

-Rabbit
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Rabbit wrote:Sometimes I wonder how we managed all that, plus our off time activities. Wow!
I chalk it up to being much younger then. I can't even make it to midnight anymore. I very distinctly remember one summer when after two or three weeks of 16+ hour shifts and very little sleep (take an additional hour to get up and ready before the campers and another hour after the campers go to bed) and I was EXHAUSTED! I went to bed immediately after graduation. I was in one of the counselor rooms on the 4th floor without windows. When I woke up, the clock said it was 4:30 or so. I thought, wow...perfect timing for dinner. Only, when I left my room, the windows were dark. Talk about massive confusion for about 10 minutes. It was 4:30 AM! I slept for almost 18 hours straight.

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat! :D

Rabbit...you need your gold wings! You deserve them, too! :wink:
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

JennieM wrote:I chalk it up to being much younger then. I can't even make it to midnight anymore. I very distinctly remember one summer when after two or three weeks of 16+ hour shifts and very little sleep (take an additional hour to get up and ready before the campers and another hour after the campers go to bed) and I was EXHAUSTED! I went to bed immediately after graduation. I was in one of the counselor rooms on the 4th floor without windows. When I woke up, the clock said it was 4:30 or so. I thought, wow...perfect timing for dinner. Only, when I left my room, the windows were dark. Talk about massive confusion for about 10 minutes. It was 4:30 AM! I slept for almost 18 hours straight.
Ahhh...the joy of waking up and not knowing if it's AM or PM outside. I've had that happen at least once when I was supporting wind tunnel tests, working nights. Always kinda befuddles the main desk clerk when you call down from your hotel room to ask first what time it is but then whether that's morning or night. Never fun and seems to be taking longer and longer to recover from it.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin