New guy, ready to go...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

New guy, ready to go...

Post by Mercergl »

Well, this is my first post on Hab1, but definetly not my first time here. Great site, and very helpful. I'm going to my second year of SA in a few days, and its the 8 day. Anything I should know that changes? Also, Duct tape. Don't quite get it, but i understand how useful it can be. I'd love to hear any stories about it if you have 'em. Mine is really haow much i needed some. You know how the handles in Hab1 are a flat 'U' shape? Well, ours fell off. Some Duct tape ould have really come in handy then! :idea: :!:
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

In 8 Day, you get to do four missions and one 6 hour mission, which is neat.
Also, you pick tracks... I don't think you pick tracks in SA...

You also get to participate in the Amazing Race, hang out and bond with your team a LOT more, and just spend more time at the center!

Every minute is packed with something new and exciting, but I just can't describe how it is different, I just know that it is.

As for Duct Tape, I was the only 8-Day camper who brought it last year, and I used it to tape nametags that were falling apart, posters in the wall of our room, teammates to each other, as well as made anklets, rings, bracelets... by the end of the week, my name became 'DT' (Deetee phone Home Depot... we need more duct tape!) and they made me a duct tape crown.

Any other questions, just let me know! Who knows, I might see you there!
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Thanks, and that's good news. I loved the shuttle mssions last year, so it will be great to do more. Thanks for the welcome and advice! :D
Don't Panic

spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

No problem ;)
I love the missions too. I was pilot on the 6 hour, and the commander and I had so much fun while everyone else was having their medical anomalies and such :P
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I was pilot in one of my missions. There were A LOT of buttons, oh and we crashed the shuttle. We were trying to land manally (not sure if that is usually the case) but we both lost control of the shuttle. I think it was switching control from the commander to the pilot and back. Eventually we landed on the runway on two wheels and a wing! Everyone from the ISS had gone to Mission Control to watch! :)
Don't Panic

spacegirl129
Camper
Camper

Post by spacegirl129 »

After a couple missions of being pilot, I've gotten used to all of the checklists.
Next to me, commander will be freaking out because he has one minute, but I'm already finished and tease him for it :P

I love watching the landings. They're pretty funny. Forgetting landing gear, landing sideways...

On one of our missions, the commander decided the mission was headed down anyways, so he didn't land on the runway... instead he just kept going straight. He flew into a 'virtual wall' (I'm certain there's a better way to describe that), so it looked like the shuttle just hit some invisible wall and fell straight down.

Quite funny.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Hmmm... I should try that... In the practice lander in the museum of course... :wink:

Also... I'm pretty sure that we survived out interesting landing... it was better than the one that the pilot of my flight home did, but thats another story...
Don't Panic

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

In our mission a couple days ago, the commander made a beautiful approach and landing, but they had forgotten to put the gear down. It appeared that they were floating a couple feet above the runway. They realized they forgot the gear, so they deployed it and the wheels came right down to the runway, which I thought was a pretty nifty way to land. When they came to a stop, the drag chute was still sticking straight out beside them. While we were laughing about it, the chute started moving, twisting around the rudder, though it didn't seem to get any shorter. We had a good laugh about that, too, then went out to have a few drinks with Hoot Gibson.
Ad astra per aspera.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Ha ha, that sounds very action movie-esque :)
Don't Panic

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

same landing we had when i commanded Discovery in '92, it would have been a nominal landing if my pilot hadn't hit the landing gear switch and stowed the gear back inside the shuttle while trying to touchdown!!!!

ah, this is why space camp is so great
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Hotdog wrote:same landing we had when i commanded Discovery in '92, it would have been a nominal landing if my pilot hadn't hit the landing gear switch and stowed the gear back inside the shuttle while trying to touchdown!!!!

ah, this is why space camp is so great
LOL, I can't agree more! :D

EDIT: Do 8day academy missions include anomaoies? (or however you spell it)
Don't Panic