New flightsuit for 25th Anniversary

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

New flightsuit for 25th Anniversary

Post by Hotdog »

You guys have inspired me to put together a flightsuit for myself for the 25th Anniversary:

ImageImage

In a thread a few months back, we were talking about orange launch-and-entry flightsuits, so I decided to go with that, especially since everyone has a blue (or green) one.

Think I could get away with wearing it to the Rocket Center when I come to visit in a couple of weeks?
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

It looks great! :D
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

Wear it! Everyone will know who you are for sure!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Re: New flightsuit for 25th Anniversary

Post by Joker »

Hotdog wrote:ImageThink I could get away with wearing it to the Rocket Center when I come to visit in a couple of weeks?
There's "Go Big Orange," then there's that.

Seriously, do NOT make me regret being an alumnus of the University of Tennessee. That? Goes a long, long way.

You kind of look like a wayward museum guide run amok. Get used to pointing people toward the Spacedome Theater, man.
U.S. Space Camp, May 1985
Aviation Challenge Staff, 1996-1997
"Livin' in fear's just another way of dyin' before your time." -- Drive-By Truckers
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Joker, did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Is that an ancient Space Academy t-shirt or a newer sweatshirt? They used to make a t-shirt with a big logo but it got replaced, and I dont' think they have made these in years.

I like the look. I don't think the cap is very spacey though.

--des
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

Hotdog wrote:Joker, did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?
Lighten up, Francis.
If you're gonna wear that much orange outside the Knox County limits, and you're not about to board the bus to strap in for an eight-and-a-half-minute trip downrange, you should make sure you fit one of the following job descriptions:

1) You are a ward of the State:
You've been a very bad boy -- up to and including being in the short-to-long term custody of any local, state or federal Department of Corrections -- Maricopa County, AZ excluded.

2) Rebel Alliance Rated Aircrew:
You've decided to stick it to The Man -- assuming that The Man is Emperor Palpatine. Your job may include flying X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wing, and/or Speeder types. This, sadly, also includes Snowspeeder rear gunners -- they're the Rebel equivalent to "self-loading baggage." They'd put droids back there to crew the weapons, but Jawas run the shop in too many places. It's easier to just recruit warm, but minimally effective bodies from aggrieved or oppressed worlds. Stay on target...

3) You are an early-to-mid 1960s test pilot:
If you have The Right Stuff (and no, not the little Space Camp medal), you can pull off that much orange and no one will say jack. YOU tell Wally and Al they're not hardcore. And Gus Grissom's so freakin' hard, he can pull off silver boots with a sage flightsuit. Remember, kids, the hatch didn't just blow -- the Mercury capsule design specifications just didn't accommodate the structural strain of containing Gus's awesomeness in that tiny space.

4) You're Bruce Willis or Ben Affleck.
Something about "armadilloes" and "zero barrier." And "all-go-no-quit," or something to that effect. The popcorn was good, though. And you gotta like the hit-or-miss CGI (hey, it's a fancy fictional military shuttle! Now it's Atlantis! Oh, wait, there are TWO OF THEM!). But Affleck gets cred, cause they let him play in the NBL -- but no amount of cred makes up for "Gigli."

5) You are Dave Bowman.
Open the pod bay doors, HAL. And sing that "Daisy" song. It soothes me.

6) Someone just stole the first Firefox prototype.
Adding insult to injury, he also stole your fancy black flightsuit and helmet. So you have to go chase down the Yankee imperialist dog in the only machine fast enough to catch him -- the other MiG-31 airframe. And you have to do it while wearing a bright orange flightsuit and trying to remember how to say "Don't bring snacks into the museum" in Russian.

And I don't eat corn flakes.
"Livin' in fear's just another way of dyin' before your time." -- Drive-By Truckers
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Ha, funny read. But ya may wanna take your own advice and...
Joker wrote: Lighten up, Francis.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

des wrote:Is that an ancient Space Academy t-shirt or a newer sweatshirt? They used to make a t-shirt with a big logo but it got replaced, and I dont' think they have made these in years.
--des
Sort of. It's just a t-shirt, like the one seen here: http://spacecamp.ibnerd.net/main.php?g2_itemId=6227

i still have a couple of them, along with the cobalt blue shorts
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
Joker
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Joker »

Hotdog wrote:Ha, funny read. But ya may wanna take your own advice and...
Joker wrote: Lighten up, Francis.
You're a funny, funny man, Hotdog. Really. Especially considering that I'm not heavy about the issue in the least. Read your response -- I'm not the one who needs to lighten up, though I definitely will. I plan to spend next weekend at the beach watching the STS-117 launch, so that'll be delightful. I'll have a nice bourbon for absent companions, a light umbrella drink in your honor, and then pour some out for my homies.

But you asked if you could get away with wearing a bright orange flight suit with your personal patches on it. No one's going to arrest you for it, and you're well within your rights to do so. It's just a far, far braver move than I'd make. Then again, I've seen what some counselors do to their flight suits, so probably no one would bat an eye if you rolled in hot and visible.

If you don't want to hear a response you don't like, even if it's friendly ribbing (which was my intent), don't ask the question on the Internet.

So good luck with it. Really.
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

First things first as read once in "Twisted Mego Theatre..."

"Mother Of God...."

Attention all hands. Attention all hands.

Joker wins best post of 2007 so far. Love the visual aids, amigo.

That is all.

:D
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I don't think so, as I got a new one in mid 1990s I think. I don't wash it/wear it much but it is kind of getting frayed along the edges. And oh the infamous shorts. I wonder who they are designed to fit, as they never fit me, and consequently I still have them. I occassionally wear them to clean house as they really aren't entirely decent. (I'll let ya'll figure this one out.)

Btw, seriously-- well not really-- about all that orange. If you don't have the badges it DOES look like a prison outfit!! I had kind of thought of uniforms for my little space camp and thought about orange, but it just looked so prisonish. OTOH, I don't think this one here looks too prisonish, but I didn't look from behind. You wouldn't want someone to think you are an escapee from Alabama corrections. :-)

Scrubs are about the easiest way to get one color, and they really like escaped convicts.

Maybe some of that ribbonish stuff like they have on band or military uniforms in the back? One of these over each shoulder.
I think a NASA cap would look good.

--des
Hotdog wrote:
des wrote:Is that an ancient Space Academy t-shirt or a newer sweatshirt? They used to make a t-shirt with a big logo but it got replaced, and I dont' think they have made these in years.
--des
Sort of. It's just a t-shirt, like the one seen here: http://spacecamp.ibnerd.net/main.php?g2_itemId=6227

i still have a couple of them, along with the cobalt blue shorts
Infinite Joy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Infinite Joy »

Thanks for the General Mills plug! (I recently worked in Cheerios product development.)
Chris

Space Academy Level I - 7/29-8/4/89 - MS, SS
Alumni Adult Space Academy - 6/14-6/17/07 - PLT, CAPCOM
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yeah, but I don't think p** and Cheerios is exactly a great breakfast favorite. :-)

--des

Infinite Joy wrote:
Thanks for the General Mills plug! (I recently worked in Cheerios product development.)
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Well this thread has reached a low not seen in some time! :?

And Joker, this isn't the Barracks. Please tread lightly.
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

lol funny stuff.