one week down.

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

one week down.

Post by Boomerang »

well here it is the weekend and tommorow will be one week since i arrived down here for training and i have to say though it has been some long days and alot of info crammed into a short time it has been fun. In alot of ways the training feels like beeing a camper again except it is a more serious atmosphere since you are held accountable to for everything taught.

To give you an idea of what we have had to cover in the first week of training alone. In the sims we have covered Take off landing and naviation, air to ground combat and air to air. As well as how to operate the console that controls all the simulators.

We have finished the lanfd survival stuff including intro to, shwelter building, food and water procurement.

We have covered Patrolling and combat movement as well as the T-Ops briefing and how it should be conducted.

We've had classes in aronautics, aerodynamics, and lectures on most of the aircraft on campus.

We also covered ejection and procedures associated with it.

Plus we have had alot of procedural training covering being RA's, scheduling, Emergencies etc.

For those of you who have been to AC and are thinking that doesnt seems like much because trainees do all that and more minus the procedures stuff but also keep in mind we are getting alot more in deptah and we get tested on all of this stuff as well.

This coming week we still have water survival, escape and evasion, more specifici stuff on the patrolling and its asociated operations, more testing and practical parts where we have to teach the lectires back to the rest of the counselors. But at the end of the week assuming everything goes well we graduate and get our wings and become the newest AC counselors.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Jason... somehow I missed what T-Ops actually is... what is it? That may have been one of the day 1 briefings I missed.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

You were here for it unless it was when you went for your drug test. Its the one Shaggy and Ruth did it was in 2 parts. Agressor and Allies. actually its the briefing i really want to get to do.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Oh yeah, that. Cool. How much of that scenario is new, anyway? That's really cool. The only problem, which I easily discovered when we did the run as counselors, is that the target area is just too far away from both bases! It took me forever to get there! I did shoot a few guys down though (which I failed to do in air-to-air), so that was cool.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually that mission and briefing only seem to be a kickoff for a series of events if you look on the schedule we have a mission 2 and i think the SEAL ops is part of it. Granted all this stuff is new since i was there in 96.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, it is cool how it kind of just sets up the second half of the week. Woo! I really, really can't wait for the kids to start coming!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well we are half way through a second week down here and all thats left now are one more test, teachbacks and some other training. The hardest test was done yesterday so things are going well at the moment. It is definatelyn starting to heat up down here during the day though.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008