Alumni Camps Whos going and when?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

So I feel like i'm completly out of the loop since I haven't been on hab1.com for such a long time! I wouldn't even know abou thte alumni sessions if it wasn't for the facebook group i'm in that refered me back to hab1! I'll have to look into these sessions now that I officially cannot go to the regular asa sessions because of my age :-(
~Siobhan
Space Camp 2000 - Cygnus- wk 38
Space Academy 2001 - IO- wk 36
Space Academy 2002 - Galileo- wk 38
Adv. Space Academy 2003 - Von Braun- 36
Adv. Space Academy 2004 - Von Braun- 37
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Why can't you go? There is an adult Advanced camp (with is probably as rigorous as the regular ASA. There is also an adult weekend camp, that contains elements of SA and ASA. The only problem (and it is a big one afaik) is that the ASA is only in the fall. Sort of leaves off people who can't take off in the fall, like teachers (I know they expect that I would go to the Teacher Academy, another adult program, but I teach reading during the year.

--des
spacy chick wrote:So I feel like i'm completly out of the loop since I haven't been on hab1.com for such a long time! I wouldn't even know abou thte alumni sessions if it wasn't for the facebook group i'm in that refered me back to hab1! I'll have to look into these sessions now that I officially cannot go to the regular asa sessions because of my age :-(
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

When I think of Adult space camp I picture post-college people, older than me... I feel like i'm in limbo right now if I went, I wouldn't be with people my age... Not like that would be so terrible but still... With my major I dont see working there as an option either. I need to intern during the summers...
~Siobhan
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

spacy chick wrote:When I think of Adult space camp I picture post-college people, older than me... I feel like i'm in limbo right now if I went, I wouldn't be with people my age... Not like that would be so terrible but still... With my major I dont see working there as an option either. I need to intern during the summers...
I don't know.. I want to say someone on here going to the alumni camp is like 20 or 21. That's college age. and i'm only 5 years older than that. so I dont think you'll be stuck with all old farts! :)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hey hey, what's wrong with the old farts!!!!!

--des
iheartspacecamp wrote:
spacy chick wrote: I don't know.. I want to say someone on here going to the alumni camp is like 20 or 21. That's college age. and i'm only 5 years older than that. so I dont think you'll be stuck with all old farts! :)
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

des wrote:Hey hey, what's wrong with the old farts!!!!!

--des
iheartspacecamp wrote:
spacy chick wrote: I don't know.. I want to say someone on here going to the alumni camp is like 20 or 21. That's college age. and i'm only 5 years older than that. so I dont think you'll be stuck with all old farts! :)
hahaha... nothing! :) i'm heading that way too!
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

You know, for regular adult camp, I was wondering the same thing. For alumni camp, I don't think it matters as much. But for adult camp or adult ASA, I always wonder what the average age is. This is why I said at some point perhaps there should be a college-aimed version with a slightly more serious curriculum than ASA.

But when it's an alumni camp, you're all alumni, so age doesn't matter at all!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I'm 31 and heading to adult ASA this fall. I haven't been before, but I'm hoping that it's as serious as youth ASA but with more in-depth lectures. We'll see. I'll make comments after I return home.

I too have wondered what the average age of participants at adult ASA is. The British guy who wrote up his trip to 8-day adult ASA a few years ago made it sound like his team was on the older side (40ish+). But, I'm not too worried about it. I figure that everyone who's paying the money to go to adult ASA is a space geek anyway and will be serious about the program. After that, age is only important if you start talking about pop culture, family or other similar topics.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

It was a very mixed group age, sex, and seriousness wise. There were some adults on their 7th run of it, so that seems pretty serious. I thought some of the people weren't quite as geeky in space as I was, but the staff did seem to take the thing seriously (though I can't compare of course).
There were some people that found it just way too geeky for them, and so I kind of wondered what they were expecting. There were quite a few people older than I was (1989) and a few younger. There weren't any graduates of the regular ASA and as I said I have never been able to attend the the Adult ASA. BTW, it may be some of the people are a little older as they finally have the cash to attend.

As for relationships cross generations, I think they are interesting. I have a friend in her 70s. She is a most interesting person, and I find her more interesting than some of my friends more my age. OTOH, I have had way younger friends and I find them interesting too. Maybe this is a good cross cultural experience for you. :-)
The age divide can be just as interesting as someone from another country or outer space (I consider I am probably an alien as well. :-))

This is a good cross cultural thing for me as I have determined that I am easily and far and away the oldest person here.

--des
gt0163c wrote:I'm 31 and heading to adult ASA this fall. I haven't been before, but I'm hoping that it's as serious as youth ASA but with more in-depth lectures. We'll see. I'll make comments after I return home.

I too have wondered what the average age of participants at adult ASA is. The British guy who wrote up his trip to 8-day adult ASA a few years ago made it sound like his team was on the older side (40ish+). But, I'm not too worried about it. I figure that everyone who's paying the money to go to adult ASA is a space geek anyway and will be serious about the program. After that, age is only important if you start talking about pop culture, family or other similar topics.
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

spacy chick wrote:When I think of Adult space camp I picture post-college people, older than me... I feel like i'm in limbo right now if I went, I wouldn't be with people my age... Not like that would be so terrible but still... With my major I dont see working there as an option either. I need to intern during the summers...
Well, I'm going to the alumni camp and I'm 26, but I still look like I'm about 18. I was worried that everyone who was going to sign up for the alumni camp would be like 18 or 19 years old. But then again, I am able to fit in with just about anybody!

There is probably a large age range in the adult camps. And if you attend the alumni camps, everyone has attended camp before and kind of knows what goes on.

When I went to advanced space academy the second year that I went, I was the oldest camper in my group by a few years to most of the campers. There was only one person that was a year younger than me. I was about to start college and most of the others were freshman in high school. I swear, the website says 15 years old for ASA, but some of the people on my team had to be 13. You just learn to get along and work together with your teammates, no matter what their ages are. I have a feeling that it's the same with adult camps.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
spacy chick
Camper
Camper

Post by spacy chick »

I was always on the older side of my group when I went to ASA but i think they somewhat try to get you with people around your age... I remember other ASA groups didn't have people as old as my group... and i know older people are not "old farts" I mean i'd have something in common with them since they came to camp... but I am one of those 19 year olds and i thought people going to the adult camps would always be way older... I remember seeing my science teacher at camp one time i went so that left quite an impression....
~Siobhan
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I will be there in June I registered earlier this week.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

ApolloXI wrote:I will be there in June I registered earlier this week.
I guess that I'll see you there! Only 4 more weeks left!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

just an fyi b/c i know some people mentioned that the alumni camp might get cancelled or combined. i just called SC to make sure the August camp is safe before I buy my flight and the guy reassured me that spots are filling up and they WILL not cancel any of the alumni sessions. :lol:
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Sweet. I'm wondering if I'm going to put in my 2 weeks notice to leave before the program, or perhaps try to get the 4 days off and stay on for another week or so. We'll see... all I know is I'm really enjoying myself!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Well this is great news!! I guess I should go ahead and sign up. I was told that I may not get full pay for summer school as only 12 kids have signed up (I need 7 in each session). However, the good news is they are giving us a raise so I will actually make more money this year!
(I'm still wanting more kids in my space camp!)

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Glad to hear the registrations are going well. i look forward to seeibng some hab oners this summer. Don't know what i'm going to do with my august reservation yet. I did ask for the nioght of the alumni dinner dance off in june so hopefully i'll be at that. Since the alumni groups will be coming down to AC we should see you guys there.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I registered on Thursday for the June Alumni Session. There's some people going from here in August that I'd like to meet, but the June dates are special to me (read the sig).

So, hope to see everyone who signed up for June, soon!
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i look forward to seeing everyone down here whether its in june or august. This is one of the bennefits to working here this year.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Richasi
Top Gun