What's the word on working this summer?

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

They seem to be acommadating your disabilities in other ways, so I don't know why not this one! I also have a disability (not visible), and I think what you need to do is express your needs in easy to understand terms and help them to be able to provide for these needs. For instance: (I am just using this as an example: "I am capable of swimming but if I had to tread water for more than x amt of time, this would present a problem as I can't use my legs".

BTW, this is neither here nor there I suppose, but years ago I learned something called "drown proofing" where you tread water with your arms, but not the way you do in the usual way. You use very wide strokes and you actually let your head go under. It is much more relaxing and less tiring. From what I just read they aren't teaching this so much as you lose more body heat doing this. However, I would bet I could use the drown proof technique for an hour and may have tried this. I saw very contradictory ways of describing this. One was a so-called "dead man's float" and one was having one's hands bound and going to the bottom. Neither describes what I learned.

--des
LB206 wrote:Well the swim test is not one i have to worry about though i am capable of swimming if i had to just with the arms getting me in and out of the water would be another issue. But the camp is aware that i am limited on some thigs and are seeming willing to work with what i can do. Also found out today looks like i will actually be staying in hab 2 to make it easier to beable to get to meals at times whem i dont have to be at the lake that way i'm topside and dont have to worry about transportation back. They said they have a van that can transport wheel chairs but its a hassle. And i can get in and out of someones car easy enough.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

So everyone else is there? I got a special one-day extension because of exams, and yet I'm still stuck here at college. Geez... I kept adjusting and adjusting my schedule based on what I was and wasn't ready for, and now I'm just trying to get everything packed so I can go both home and to Huntsville in the morning. Geeeeeez... you guys have no idea what kind of stress I'm under. At this point, all I want is to be able to get to sleep.

I'm going to need a lot of caffeine for both drives!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I was wondering what happened with you. We all survived day one ofcourse most of it was paper work but there was some AC related training as well. Hope to see you here tonight or tommorow. Do you know what hab you're living in i'm guessing you'll be down at the lake since it sounds like they need more down theere.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, I'm down at AC hab. But right now I'm in that ward room place in hab1 because I needed to check my email... luckily my school email works!

I just had to frantically drive to the mall (I got here pretty dang late) and get my hair chopped off. Woo. My friends will never recognize me. Luckily you guys didn't know "old" me.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

So, everything's going pretty well, and I'm learning new stuff, since I've never done AC before. Though it will be a challenge, I think I'll be able to pass the tests at the end of the two weeks as long as I study hard. Other than that, not much to report. Woo!

Oh, and I'm now officially Cast Away, due to how I looked last night before the haircut. Woo!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Yes we all have our new callsigns now. From today on i guess i am now Boomerang due to the fact that i keep coming back here. Word of advice to people who might want to be a counselor in the future expect alot of training crammed into a short time.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

If you guys want a username switch to reflect your new callsigns, let me know. I'd be happy to oblige.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

LB206 wrote:Word of advice to people who might want to be a counselor in the future expect alot of training crammed into a short time.
That is entirely true. However, I do feel like they're teaching it so we can learn it and I'm absorbing a lot of stuff the first time.

Yeah, Vincent, go ahead and make me Cast Away. It's who I am. In a few minutes I should have a very explanatory post up as to that one.

Today they had some inspirational speeches and important people talk to us, so suddenly I feel like I'm really a part of something awesome. I'm really looking forward to getting started!
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Well, that was a quick name change! Here's a little explanation of my call sign. What I looked like two nights ago:

And, after leaving Hab 3 at about 8:10 and rushing to the mall before it closed, then driving back: