What's the word on working this summer?

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

I'm having my interview any minute now! Woo!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

I just had my interview. Interesting that you all either got hired already or told no already... I was left up in the air to hear later. Huh.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i had mine this afternoon. Good news and bad news on this one. Good news they want to hire me bad news they need to figure out what i can do there being in a wheel chair but they do seem willing to work with me to help figure out a place for me. Was told they could let me know within 24 hours. I need to send an email with more info to them to help come up with something.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Cool! I'm sure they'll figure that one out. Did they hire you for AC only?

That's what I got. I got the job, AC only, and it sounds like I'll be getting teams. I think I want to go for it, but the only question is whether I can tackle the neverending hours and strict structure of the place, but I'm sure I can.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well even though i wouldnt mind working AC they said theyd try to find me a place topside because its more likely i could do stuff up there. They asked what types of things i could possibly do i mentioned lecturing, mocr, or ISS sims, heloibng with the VIP's and other guest over the 25th anniversay ( this would look good for the museum as well to have a disabled person visible during the events working there) also i have training in alot of the areas coverd by the X -camp from scouting experiance and model rocket experiance. i know the x camp stuff seems a little less likely but they dont just do the ropes stuff but also cover first aid and alot of outdoor skills. Also said i could help with admin stuff if nessecary. Tried to give them as many options as possible. hey seemed like they did want to hire me if at all possible so keep your fingers crossed. I'm sure i could help with some of the outdoor sjills stuff done at AC as wellas nessecary. So we
ll see what happens tommorow.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Good luck! You're lucky, then, if you get to work at SC. It would definitely be my preference, and I'll be keeping my ears peeled the whole summer for transfer opportunities. But then again, all the physicality of AC would be good for me, too, since I haven't been working out at all lately.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Is it just me or is it looking like a Hab 1 summer at camp this year.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, it is. I'm glad we'll have each other to joke and hang out with.

I'm seriously split over the whole work constantly throughout the day thing. I know it will be fun with the campers and everything, but still, the idea of absolutely no breaks (except for meals and team time, I guess) really bugs me. I'll probably end up accepting the job because I know it'll be good for me, but it still bugs me. It also bugs me that to get there on time I have to take my self-scheduled exams the first three days they're available, all in a row. That'll be difficult, though I can pull it off. I know how to study properly for each of them (and will have to *gasp* actually begin this weekend!).
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, Congrats to MNathaniel and LB206 on their SC/AC jobs. You will have to take lots of 'Hab1.com members together' photos!

Have a great time everyone! Send us lots of photos and stories throughout the summer! With all of you down there, I (and everyone on the forum) should be able to live the summer at USSRC vicariously through you. Ha!

It will also make me long to visit camp that much more... it may become reality in August, before the STS-118 launch, so we shall see. It is not official, but we will know more in July.

On another note, you should find the Hab1.com poster and make it part of this 'hab1.com' summer as well.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

Congrats boys! I'll see you both there in June.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Alright i am so excited. It is confirmed i will be an AC counselor 2 for the summer after i get through training ofcourse. Man i have alot to do and not alot of time to do it in. I was told i would mainly be working sim support for mach 1 and or 2and possibly get a team or teams during the summer. I may also beable to work topside. They arent sure which dorm i'll be in yet but mostlikely one of the ones top side. Wow i didnt realise training starts so soon though i was told to be there by may 13th with everything starting on the 14th. I have got tons of stuff to do in 10 days.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

LB206 wrote:Alright i am so excited. It is confirmed i will be an AC counselor 2 for the summer after i get through training ofcourse. Man i have alot to do and not alot of time to do it in. I was told i would mainly be working sim support for mach 1 and or 2and possibly get a team or teams during the summer. I may also beable to work topside. They arent sure which dorm i'll be in yet but mostlikely one of the ones top side. Wow i didnt realise training starts so soon though i was told to be there by may 13th with everything starting on the 14th. I have got tons of stuff to do in 10 days.
Congratulations! Maybe you'll be able to get away from the campers and take some time out and enjoy some of the alumni activities too. Hopefully I'll get to see you down there next month!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yay! This is going to be exciting, but yeah, the early training date means I have to take all my (luckily self-scheduled) exams on the first three exam dates, drive straight home (Atlanta), unpack and re-pack, and then head on over to Alabama.

It's going to be a challenge, but it should be awesome.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my camera and laptop... I'll call HR about that one. I'll most likely bring the camera, the question is getting photos off of it and stored somewhere.

This sounds extremely odd, but I'm going to ask for time off the exact dates of the 25th anniversary celebration. Considering everyone else will probably want to be working, I just might be able to do it. I have tickets to Bonnaroo, and it'd be awesome if I could make it. But if I can't, at least I'll be there for the 25th... I'll ask if there's any way to get off to go to the Shatner dinner.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Thankfully my last day of exams uis today but flying down there i'm going to have to take some stuff and have other stuff shipped to me once i'm there. I'd say camera is a must i am going to try to get a lap top before i go as well.

What date are you arriving in huntsville? I'm getting there ont he 13th the HR people already said they can get me a ride from the airport. Wow i'm so excited about this.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Pretty sure I'm driving over on the 14th. I'm really excited about this, but the only thing that messes with my head, still, is this whole constant working thing. Pretty sure I said that yesterday, but it's still true. But it'll be worth it.

So yeah, I guess I'll bring my camera and take tons and tons of photos, most likely. Knowing myself, there's a chance I could have enough photos every week to fill up a CD for my team to take home, though I'll probably not take my camera out that much. But I do love photographing people. Taking photos of my teams would be covered by the disclaimer everybody has to sign anyway, right?
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I'm buying a new digital camera for my trip. It will be the first time I will have a digital camera at camp and so I will have so many pictures and I'll only be there for a week.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
wayfarersgirl
Counselor
Counselor

Post by wayfarersgirl »

I'm so psyched about working AC this summer! I'm not clear, though, on how the schedule differ from Space Camp, which is what I've worked before. MNathaniel, you mentioned all-day shifts and the like. How does the AC counseling schedule work? Are they going to be understaffed, or is it just the way things go?

Basically, I guess, I'm asking all the ways AC differs from SC for a counselor, so I can be prepared.

I'm having to start the drive as soon as my college graduation is over (like, within the hour) so I can get moved in on Sunday night. Have any of the other new AC hires gotten their packet thingies? Ruth mentioned it, and I haven't seen one.
There's nothing beyond the sky. The sky just is, and it goes on and on, and we play all our games beneath it.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Nope, haven't gotten any packet thingy.

I really don't know what the difference is. All I've been talking about is the nearly always on-duty hours I've heard about for Space Camp that I can only assume are true for AC, also. And the only difference in counselor job between the two I know of is that it's more military down at AC. I've never even been a camper there.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I dounbt counselors are on duty at all times. The schedule will vary like any other job you might have to work during the day or night but not just constantly. Every counselor i know has never said that. Counselors have time off too.

I doubt its diffrent from the Sc counselors and wayfarersgirl can shed light on that. I know when i went to AC there were counselors who were off duty just like every time i went to camp. Yes there are alot of hours we all knew that going in but its not constant.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I have recieved no packet either though got an email this morning. Mnathaniel you might want to consider driving over before the 14th i was told we had to be in the Human resurces office at 8 AM Monday morning the 14th for badgeing and drug testing.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008