High School

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Was your High School Experience...

good
30%
alright
30%
bad
40%

Total votes: 10
karatebando
Camper
Camper

High School

Post by karatebando »

I have talked to and heard many horror stories about high school. You have the jocks, the cheer leaders, the nerds, the goth, emo, the people stuck in the 6os, and who knows what else. My high school experience was nothing like this. Everyone knew each other, we all talked, it was like one huge family or something. I am a bando (marching band member) and I had football guys yelling at me across the hallways. My school was very large and impacted yet we all had the closness that I have only heard of from a small school. There was no groupies at my school. Did anyone else get this experiense or was it by some weird fluke just my school? Not trying to brag. My school did have some problems with bullying and such but it was the kids who were under classmen trying to look good to the seniors. (We did have gangs at our school and so called nerds and some what of a popular group but like I said unless you were part of those groups you would have never known.) Middle school was the total opposite.
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

high school

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

im still a junior in high school but my experience is almost exactly like that minus the gangs..lol... i have a different perspective though... i go to an all girls catholic high school.. yea there is a total of about 450 kids in entire school.. about 120 give or take in each class... i literally kno every one in my class and id say 95% in the senior and sophomore classes and about 20% in the freshman but i kno all if the teachers and all of them kno me... and here a really kinda if intresting fact... last year was the first year in 14 years that the basketball team made it to the state tournment and our entire school got off jumped in school buses and went to the game... pretty big impact on the other team but we ended up loosing :( ...

...o yea and for those people who think im crazy for goin to a single sex school...lol.. there are all guys schools too and they are 3 of them: each about 5 times larger than us...and there are about 4 all girls schools in the area also and they are anywhere from the same amount to 5 times larger than us...
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I loved my high school! I just graduated in May. There were about 300 people/class, but we only had 3 grades (10-12). I didn't know everyone else in my class, and it was pretty cliquey I'll admit, but I was close to my friends! I was a 5 year member of varsity tennis, and so we were a really close knit group... plus.... I'll admit it, I was one of the "smart" kids, so I was a member of two kinda "groups" you could say. Having seperate distinct groups sucked, but it worked out for me. I'm sure some people at my school didn't like it.
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

Yeah there was probably around 600-700 students in my grade.Our basket ball team went to state finals as well. The whole school showed up, we had to buy tickets from the other team because everyne wanted to go. We did end up winnning, better then our football team ever did. Basketbal games are a lot of fun.
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Bad experience - was very glad to get out of high school. Attended a ten year reunion that made me realize just HOW BAD IT WAS. I'll never go to another reunion event.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

High school = somewhere in the middle for me. It wasn't the worst experience in my life (unversity), but it was far from being the best (technical school) as well. I went to a middle-size Catholic school, about 250 people per graduating class.

The school population itself was rather friendly and social but I never really enjoyed the experience much. I was a 'nerd' who somehow could chat freely with people in every social circle (football players, popular girls, rebels, etc.) yet never really had a place to call my own. There weren't any problems with bullies or troublemakers, or if there were, I never really knew about it. With big glasses, frizzy hair, tomboy, and both fashionably and vertically challenged, I would have been the perfect target for bullies. Then again, I also had guys on the football team who liked to protect me like a sister... so I had that going for me.

Most of my classes were a lot of fun but a few felt like a waste of my time. I liked the options I had but some of the mandatory claasses made me miserable on occasion.

I didn't partake in too many of the extra clubs or activities partly because none of them interested me. I just sat in the corner of the library with my CD player, a book, and rather kept to myself most of the time. There was the odd JELL-O eating contest, girls' retreat, and fly-on-the wall compeition that I did. I was content for the most part.

Overall, high school was good, with a lot of good memories and fun times. There was a 5 year reunion a while back but nobody ever told me about it. I doubt I would have went anyway.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

My best memory of high school was last year. The seniors did not play a prank on the school that year. The year before that the seniors went crazy with pranks. One year all the seniors hung bras all over the campus. At the high schools in my district they would put rubber chickens in the mall (Central quad area) or put stickers that said the rival school rocked.

Anyways sense the senior class could not come up with a prank together, one kid decided to tow our principal's car. He called a donation center to get the car towed. The day the company was suppose to pick it up, they called my principal. He must have gotten a nasty shock from that one. The same guy who did that also payed a friend to walk at graduation for him. No one noticed. The even funny part of that was that the kid is short and he hired a really tall guy.

We had a joke at school about one of the kids. He was 20 years old when he graduated, he was held back for sports. Anyways at prom anyone over the age of 21 was not permitted for obvious reasons. People would go, "You know Tom, he can't even go to his senior prom." when he graduated someone in the crowd said, "Finally Tom graduated." All through that year he was made fun of because of his age. He took it well though, never taking it to heart. In fact he even made fun of himself as well.

Gotta love High School.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I teach high school (special education reading) in a low income school.
There are over 3000 kids in the school, and this is quite a small city.
This is considered to be the second worse school in the city.
I could tell you all stories that would make your hair curl. I did not have a very good high school experience, in fact it was pretty bad. At least I hope to be a good teacher for my kids, however in fact, it is very hard to teach. The priority is definitely not teaching. If I got all the b.s. they wanted on the boards, hung up the right charts, gave the right finals, handed in the right lesson plans, and got my paper work handed in and on time they would think I was a wonderful teacher, even if I taught nothing. In fact, sad but true, there are teachers like this here. They don't teach anything, but the administration thinks they are terrific. My co-teacher and I ignore as much stuff as we can possibly and safely ignore. I think this is called passive aggressive. Oh well. :-}

BTW, there are really serious social problems here and somehow these kids are supposed to do as well as middle income kids. One of my kids, the other day said, "My brother is getting out of jail tomorrow". YIKES.

Did a mention "No Child Left Behind". Kids now have to take long and boring tests that only help big testing companies. They are basically locked in a room for two days and tested. The special ed. kids cannot hope to pass them as they can't read them. I can read the *directions*. Big help!
The kids can't even listen to iPods. It's crazy.

--des
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I went to a Catholic all female high school after graduating from a public grammar school. Living in Chicago, there are many choices, and I chose a school that only one other girl from grammar school that went to my high school (and I didn't like her either). I went out of my way to meet people right away.

I made the softball team my sophomore year and also played my junior year, but I couldn't stand the coach so I didn't play my senior year. I never really fit in too well with those girls because almost everyone who played softball played volleyball and basketball too and already formed their groups. I also joined a club my sophomore year where we did live broadcasts on TV throughout the school. That was probably one of my favorite things in high school. I put a lot of time and dedication into that club until I graduated.

By the time my senior year started, I joined another five clubs because, well I don't know why, but it was my senior year and I wanted to go to lots of Christmas parties and stuff. I wanted to spend some more time with my school friends.

I mostly hung around with people from my neighborhood and others that I had met through the girl scouts when I was younger. I never did much with people from school. High school was pretty much down the middle for me. College was the best time of my life I have to say.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director