First Memory at space camp

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

b52murph wrote:Anybody else remember sleeping in the basement of the bubble? I have to dig out my pics and post 'em. Good stuff!
Yes...you have to dig out your pictures and post them! :D
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

I'd be glad to dig out the pics....but it will be a few months. They're in my folks' house in N.H. and I'm stationed in N.M. Don't worry...I won't forget. Thanks for the interest.
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Camp I, April 1986; Camp, April 1987
Academy I, April 1988; Academy I, April 1989
Academy II, Feb 1990; Aviation Challenge, Jun 1990
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hey, I'm in Albuquerque. If you are going to be in Kirkland, that's in ABQ.
Welcome. (Of course, I should tell you that after a beautiful spring you will be in our lovely summer). But welcome anyway.

--des
b52murph wrote:I'd be glad to dig out the pics....but it will be a few
months. They're in my folks' house in N.H. and I'm stationed in N.M. Don't worry...I won't forget. Thanks for the interest.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

LB206 wrote:Well though th bubble housing the original training center was before my time i've seen some pictures of the interior and exterior as well as some old video taken inside there. As for antone remembering sleeping in there well anyone who ever slept in the lower level of hab 2 has done so because the lower level rooms someone pointed out were the rooms that were under the original training cebter the bubble as it were. Tbe bubble was aprently built on a concrete slab that also served as the seiling i guess you could say for thosr basement rooms. Today hab 2 is built over that sot. I slept in one of those rooms my first year there in 91, The bubble today as someone poointed out is now the bubble down at the aviation challenge lake.
some interesting history about the bubble - it was originally built and used to house one of the energy exhibits at the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee. The fair ran from May-October of that year, so I'm guessing the bubble did not come into use at Space Camp until 1983?
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

this is not the first memory that i have going to ASA back in 99.... but its one of my favorite memories... and one that makes Space Canada and myself laugh to this day...

its how we first meet that week.... she got in uber late that first day, it was actually the early arrival day, anyways all of us girls where already there, and they had us and the boys in watching a movie.... and i cant remember the movie.... apollo 13, deep impact ... something like that... anyways half way through and here comes a new girl wearing a bright red berret.....

movie over and the cart us up to the dorm room, and i think it was brandi and justene that moved into the room with the new girl cause there was 8 of us girlys and only 7 to a room...

So it was lights out and I walked over to the next room and stuck my head in to say good night...

my excat words were "Good night you all" and the new girl laughed at me..... i was totally like.. wow what the???? and she was like.. i have never heard anyone say that before.. and i was like.. OKAY.. COOKOO I went back to the room i was in and told all the girls that the new girl was crazy.....cause she laughed at me....

and that was the defining moment of our friendship that has lasted 8 years now .. hehehe

i will let Space Canada talk about the toothbursh thing if she wants too.. LOL

__________||||||||
ASA Oct 99 ---> Noodles, friend of SpaceCanada
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Ah yes, the toothbrush story...

Does anyone else ever make a total mess with toothpaste droll all over the place when they brush their teeth? Well, I do... and I never saw anyone else who couldn't control their toothpaste drool until I met Kayla. Yup... messiest toothbrushers around!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

And she said 'Yall'... funniest thing. I heard it said in movies before but never in person. I went into hysterics every time she said it. Too funny...
Last edited by SpaceCanada on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jennifer -
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

LOL.. i could not believe it that next morning all of us at a sink brushing away and you just out of nowhere like yell at all of us to stop.. we all do and were like okay.... and you went to each of us to see if we had toothpaste foam on our faces.... and I was the only one.. LOL

destiny.....crazy destiny.... I need to make a remeber when box for you again.. i have not done that in years

OMG do you remember that darn glow int he dark footprint on the wall of my bunk!!!! LOL
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

no ... see living in nashville i get made fun of because i say You all.. not Y'all

I really did say you all.... i cant stand the sound of YALL eww shutters...

lol...
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Haha, I do! Someone who stayed in the room before us (who knows when) painted their foot with glow in the dark paint and stamped it on the wall. Craziest thing. I found glow in the dark plastic feet at the store one Hallowe'en and hung it on the wall in my bedroom in memory of that glowing footprint...
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

It must have ben the accent combined with 'you all' that made me laugh. Here we say 'Good night mates' or Good night everyone' but not 'you all'.
- Jennifer -
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

LOL... ah.... memories...

I remember being held up on the tarmac of the ariport in hunstville for almost an hour because som yahoo was late getting onto the plane...

oh thats right it was you :-P

brandi, me and a Space Academy kid all sitting in the plane as we waitted and waitted on the tarmac for some unknown reason... only to see who else...

but a girl in a bright red berret come running onto the plane!!! my jaw dropped... what the heck was Jennifer on our plane for!!!
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

lol you guys seem to ge getting you're own personal iron gump thread going.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

that reminds me, one of my first memories from Camp was triggered when i said "ya'll" in a conversation. I quickly learned i was one of the only native Southern guys on the team. One teammate was serious when he asked me why i had all my teeth, and why wasn't I wearing overalls. (no joke). I guess some people watch too many cartoons! My response was "Welcome to the South, you have much to learn about our country!"
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

iron gump????

space camp is cool becasue it does open the doors for kids from all walks of life from all over the country to mingle... it was my first taste of people outside of washington oregon and idaho.....
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

My one couselor was from Kentucky and would say mkay and y'all. It amused me. When I was at camp some of my teammates were amazed that I didn't have a thick Canadian accent. Because of tv and movie people think Canadians all speak the same but there is a difference just like in the states.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

If you don't know what iron Gump is look under the Aviation Challenge section of the hab forum because you've missed some great stories.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

LB206 wrote:If you don't know what iron Gump is look under the Aviation Challenge section of the hab forum because you've missed some great stories.
I will agree with LB206 the Iron Gump topic is one of the best in the AC section.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
andystroik
Camper
Camper

Post by andystroik »

I will always remember my first week at space camp.

After finding out what space camp was thanks to the movie, I WANTED TO GO ASAP!!!
My mom and dad agreed I could go to ASA and told me we’d make a family road trip out of it.
Well I signed up and waited for my week. Then space camp called and said they were canceling my week not enough trainees. I transferred to the very next week SCIVIS
So ok its only anther 7 days.
When we got to Huntsville and I saw the Saturn 1b at the AL welcome center and you couldn’t have made me stop smiling!!!

Got one more day to wait or so we thought…
We got to the hotel and no sooner had we unpacked then camp called. ( hey where are you your supposed to be here to sign in and start your week) we jumped back in the van and raced from our Huntsville hotel (a nearby super 8) to the base.
We were whirl winded through unpacking and dinner and then I find myself at the welcome ceremony Ok I said to myself I can slow down now right… WRONG after the opening we had a fire drill ( I had never been in anything but a family home fire drill before)
I-I-I-I
Well my head was spinning until the next day but due to the fact that space camp was to blame for my being late they gave me the 80 dollar clothing set free!!!!

Since then I have been back for SCIVIS 2005-2006 (2007 I am go for launch)

Andy
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Funny! (Actually a little sad, but that's another story.) I have a funny story about New Mexico as well. I was in Chicago and writing a money order to New Mexico and the guy said I was going to need an international form. LOL!

--des
Hotdog wrote:that reminds me, one of my first memories from Camp was triggered when i said "ya'll" in a conversation. I quickly learned i was one of the only native Southern guys on the team. One teammate was serious when he asked me why i had all my teeth, and why wasn't I wearing overalls. (no joke). I guess some people watch too many cartoons! My response was "Welcome to the South, you have much to learn about our country!"