space camp where i work

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

space camp where i work

Post by Boomerang »

Well not quite but close. The museum where i work which is the visitor center for NASA Langley Research center. When i was at work yesterday i was talking with my boss the director of Education who told me that we have coontrated out to the same company that did the shuttle sims for space camp or atlast one of the camps though not sure which one to build us a shuttle cockpit simulator and mission control center. It wont be an enterprise sie or even anything close to space camp but it will be capable of running full missions including diffrent problem scenarios. Looks like they will be installing it in may, We will be using it for our school programs and summer camps and evenutally there is talk of within 10 years creating our own resident camp though not afiliated with pace camp. I also know included in the remodeling plans for our space gllery is a DF type simulator and a gemini rendevous and docking sim as well as a lunsar lander simulator. All exciing plans for the future,.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Point of advice to you:

The words Space and Camp next to one another are trademarked. Do not call your camp anything with Space and Camp together. Space Science Camp is good, but something like Summer Space Camp is not.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

That's good advice!!
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Same goes for 'space academy'.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

And for all of the USSRC programs.

Trust me - I've had to tell offending programs that they can't use the name.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

'Space Explorers' is a popular one.

Our science centre uses 'Spaceketeers' and 'Martianauts' for its two summer space programmes.

Back to the original post, I think your space centre has a really cool idea. The flight sim and the orbiter sim sound incredible. If only we had something like that up here...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Welol i was mainly using the name in the title just to gety attention. We are still a long way off from doing anything more than day camps none of which are ever with that name we have some stupid names almost every tme. Initially the sim will mainly be for education programs and some of our summer day camps sometime down the road within the next 10 years there is talk of a resident camp probably not until or unless we get a seperate education center built which is also a plan for sometime in the next 10 years. But dont worry the name Space Camp wouldnt actually be used. Typicly our day camps ar Blast Off Camp or Rocket Kids camp or something like that. If he idiots and thats being nice in our marketing deoartment were to do that however i will make sure to let them know and keep from them getting sued. We have enough budget problems as it is with NASA education cutbacks.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I'm doing a "camp" this summer at a local school. I probably am calling it Space Explorers or Space Adventures. You probably can't use the terms "Space Camp" or "Space Academy". Though I do know teachers that got permission to use the t-shirts or flight suits for their camps or school programs.

The store has been very cooperative and will sell me badges, etc. at reduced cost. Unfortunately the stopped carrying the denim caps which were very nice. The usual cost of such things is about $15 (their cost was $8), so I may just get caps and separate NASA badges that the parents can sew on. I'm also having shirts.

If you are still on, it might be fun to exchange ideas. But anyone else with ideas, it would be great to hear them. This is for kids 5th--7th grade.
I'm all excited about this!

The past two years I have been doing a couple "classes", one hour long for three weeks (everyday). I had two groups, one little kids (K-3rd) and one with older kids (4-6th). With the little kids I did "nanonaps" with "sleeping bags"; space pudding and lemon ade; made a solar system and sunprints; and did alka-seltzer rockets. With the older kids we did more types of rockets; some great comet stuff; science related to humans in space, etc. Everything was hands on. This will be a half day, and I can do a lot more stuff. I also have a simulator. I was looking for pictures of it, but guess I have them somewhere on my hard drive.

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Are you familiar with the NASA Educator resource center network? If not go to www.nasa.gov and look them up and find your regional service center. They provide free resources to educators across the country. They should have a website with a list of available materials as well. Its a great resource for pictures, lesson plans, activities etc.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Yes, I am thanks. I also attended the Space Educator Conference (SEEC) this year in Houston. I found out you can rent out kits, for instance of space food or a glove (even a whole space suit though the shipping would be prohibitive).

A lot of my ideas came off those pages. I also had the kids go on the NASA pages themselves.

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Another resource you may want to look into since you said you work with special education groups is SERCH South Eastern Regional Clearing House its a group within the science directorate that deals with special needs students of all types and works to improive accessability of NASA materials to these students. I went to there confrence in Huntsville in 05 they hopefully will be holding theire 7th confrence this summer though no announcement of where yet. Itsa a great group and dedicated to making science available to everyone they can also be found on the NASA website.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Zero Gravity Plane!!!
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Thanks. I teach special ed. high school during the year, but the summer program is regular ed. I do have some special ed kids who can be "mainstreamed". For instance, I have learning disabled, high functioning autistic, and ADD kids. I teach reading during the year so it is pretty structured.

BTW, someone mentioned a 0 g plane. I still need to find a PC to play with but I am thinking of using Orbiter software, just to play around with at the camp. They supposedly have a very neat low gravity plane on there.

It's funny to think that some of you are the same age as my high school kids. But the internet is an interesting place.

--des
LB206 wrote:Another resource you may want to look into since you said you work with special education groups is SERCH South Eastern Regional Clearing House its a group within the science directorate that deals with special needs students of all types and works to improive accessability of NASA materials to these students. I went to there confrence in Huntsville in 05 they hopefully will be holding theire 7th confrence this summer though no announcement of where yet. Itsa a great group and dedicated to making science available to everyone they can also be found on the NASA website.