What and Why?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Landon, when I was younger, I was a lot like you. Not homeschooled, but just didn't really fit in with kids my age. I never had a lot of friends, mostly because I wasn't into what everyone else was. My interests laid more in science, space flight, technology, history rather than the latest in popular culture, music, etc.
The first time I went to camp (the junior high program, it was called Level I at the time. It's just Space Academy now.), it was a good time. I knew no one going in and got along pretty well with everyone. The experience was great. The people were good.
When I went back when I was in high school (Level II, now Advanced Space Academy), I had an amazing time. The program was great, but so were the people. There were so many people who were a lot like me. We didn't fit in out in the "real world", but at camp, we were among others who understood us, who had the same interests and had a lot of the same goals. It was an amazing time.

Now, I'm looking forward to heading back for the adult ASA program. I want the experience for camp again, but I'm also looking forward to the people that I will meet.

As for duct tape, I agree that it's a good thing to bring. I found it useful each time I was at camp and plan on taking some with me when I got in September. I also recommend a good pocket knife/tool (leatherman/gerber/buck tool), a flashlight and some string or cord. These things might not come in handy, but, then again, they you may run into a situation where they will be invaluable. (Of course, I'm the type of people who normally has a small kit with these type of things and a few other random bits, with me most of the time. Can't count the number of times this stuff has come in handy.)
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

That was almost like reading about myself, of course it was more in the Aviation/Miltary field. If you have a real passion for the field for which you are attending the camp for(in your case, Space Camp ir Academy), then you'll find some great friends who will have many of the same passions as you. I cant remember if I said before, I still frequently talk to people that I Went to camo with back in 2003.
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I don't know if they would let you use a multi-tool knife (Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss Army, etc.) at Space Camp. Adult camp maybe (because adults can get away with a lot more) but probably not for the youth camps.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:I don't know if they would let you use a multi-tool knife (Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss Army, etc.) at Space Camp. Adult camp maybe (because adults can get away with a lot more) but probably not for the youth camps.
Yeah, as I was typing that I was kinda wondering. When I went to SA and ASA in the late '80's/early '90's, everyone had at least a small Swiss Army Knife. But I also carried a small pocket knife all through junior high and high school (and in public school no less) with no problems. Don't think most schools would allow that now.

Anyone know the current rules on pocket knives?
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

I do, I assume the rules are the same from AC to SC/ASA. There are NO pocket knives/weapons parafenilia allowed to camp. If you arrive with them, you may give them to the PM to hold onto and they will be returned at the end of your stay, but if they find you with them after they give you a chance to turn them in, your immediately decamped.

I mean I assume if thats the rule at AC, its the same if not more strict at SC/ASA
Last edited by Spyder on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

DARGH! Okay, I understand the reasons behind the rule (and the rules at all of the various places that restrict pocket knives), but it also frustrates me. In so many ways, it's just trading the appearance of security for the inconvenience of many, many people. Pocket knives aren't weapons - they're tools, and useful ones at that.
Grrr...Argh....okay, I'll stop now before I really get started with the appearance of security rant.
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

Well I mean its not like they go through your stuff looking for switchblades and crack pipes. I mean its all on the honor system, though I dont know what kind of moron would bring a crack pipe on premesis, the other trainees would beat the crap outta you. and they probably wouldnt get decamped either. They would be heroes
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

SpaceCanada wrote:
I'll second that... While there may be a few 'Kevin Donaldson' type kids (SpaceCamp the movie)
I had a few
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Guess what, I found a use for the duct tape! I fixed a pen that fell down!

Bay 205-Team Orville

Bay 221-Team Von Braun
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I didn't bring duct tape to the Adult academy, but I was on the flight deck so i probably wouldn't need it. We didn't tape our counselor to the chair or anything. LOL!

As for the anomolies, yes, that much is the same. It is how the operate in the astronaut corp. They create anomolies to recreate what just might happen in space. In ours, I still remember we lost an engine and had to do an abort to orbit. I am not sure if this has ever happened in NASA. I'm sure those not on the flight deck have different sorts of anomolies, but I don't recall these. We had some minor ones, maybe some pressure gauges or something... I'm guessing they all have a major one and a minor one or two.

I don't think anyone is pulling your leg re duct tape though. This is a geeky bunch, and we all love our duct tape. I use it all the time, and have never used it for ducts!! (or ducks)

---des
landon wrote:They better not tie me down to anything if I go... lol. As to these "Anomolies", it seems to me from what Im reading that the whole EDM is filled with nothing but these, which to me would get kind of boring and "Unreal" after a while... I mean, in real life, there isn't going to be THAT many anomolies in such a short time period... Unless NASA totally looses touch and just lets it all go.

I can see maybe 2 or 3 anomolies the whole time (even thats a bit extreme)...

Personally, rather than fill up the missions with Anomolies, they should just make the missions themselves more interesting. At least thats they way I see it, because if the missions where REALLY super interesting, there wouldn't be any time for a ton of Anomolies....

I can see maybe the shuttle loosing radio contact once, some kind of engine failure once and maybe a home sick austronaut going nuts, but anything more would just be to much, for the shuttle anyway.

I'm guessing the Adult Academy is like this too? I mean for kids it one thing, but I cant see a bunch of adults putting out an imaginary fire on the space station :roll: ...Maybe thats just me....
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

i remember using duct tape when i had to put out a fire on the shuttle. most of my crew was out on EVA, and i needed a way to "lock" the airlock so that they couldn't come inside while the fire was burning in the cabin. duct taping the door shut and locking them inside the airlock saved their lives!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

I drew a picture of an evil counselor (bubbles) as a joke, even though I don't know anything about her. I drew a counselor in front of a team in the rocket park. The counselor said that she was bubbles, then she took someones shoe, then someone taped bubbles to a chair, so that's why you need duct tape. But I know nobody can have bubbles because she interns at disney world.

Bay 205-Team Orville

Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

SpaceCanada wrote:I don't know if they would let you use a multi-tool knife (Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss Army, etc.) at Space Camp. Adult camp maybe (because adults can get away with a lot more) but probably not for the youth camps.
Just try and get it through Airport Security and find out whether or not they're allowed :wink:
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Mercergl wrote:
Just try and get it through Airport Security and find out whether or not they're allowed :wink:
That's what checked luggage is for. Never had a problem with pocket tools/knives in my checked bags.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Duct (Duck, Gaffer's) Tape

Post by rkolker »

Not only should you bring it to Space Camp, you should carry it with you at all times in your life! Okay, maybe that's not practical, but depending on your age, keeping some in your car, in your backpack, or wherever will get you out of lots of situations.

I've always found a small (Maglite sized) flashlight is useful on sims, because not every corner of the shuttle/station is well lit.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

des wrote:. In ours, I still remember we lost an engine and had to do an abort to orbit. I am not sure if this has ever happened in NASA.
It has, on one of the early shuttle missions.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985