What and Why?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

landon
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by landon »

Answers:

#1: I understand fully that space flight is not the glamor (if you wanna call it that) presented in some movies.

#2: Thats the #1 reason why I wanna go.

#3 & 4: I don't really get along with other kids very well. I have always been the homeschooled kid who hangs out with older adults. So I really don't think I'll make to many friends.. Anyway, I'm not paying $1,000 to make friends, Im doing it so I can experiance the "Space" part of it. I'm just so much more mature than a lot of other kids "my age" (No disrespect to anyone here, you all seem very mature). I just don't get into the same stuff kids do.

#5: number 2 main reason why I wanna go.

Overall, to me its not the "Camp" experiance I wanna go for, its what the camp is , I never did like camp. Mom sent me to summer camp a few years back and I hated it... I'm just not one for being around groups of kids...
Landon Parks,
[email protected]

Wants a Gmail address? Ask me.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

landon wrote:I really don't think I'll make to many friends.
If that's how you feel going into it, you might very well not!

But understand that your fellow campers probably have a lot more in common with you than other people your age that you're used to meeting.

I've met some of the very best people I've ever met at camp!

Give 'em a chance!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Vincent wrote:But understand that your fellow campers probably have a lot more in common with you than other people your age that you're used to meeting.
I'll second that... While there may be a few 'Kevin Donaldson' type kids (SpaceCamp the movie), there will be a lot of highly mature kids there too.

I'm a lot like Landon when it comes to my concern with the attitudes of team mates. Nothing irks me more than immature, irresponsible, inconsiderate people. However, my team turned out pretty good. You're bound to find someone who will share your take on things.

To sum things up... everyone can go to Space Camp and have a good time, even those Kevin Donaldson types. It is definitely worth the money, even if you have to fly from another country and pay the early arrival and late departure fees. (My flight cost nearly as much as the tuition!) While it is considered a summer CAMP, it is like no other camp I have been to (and that's a lot of camps).

Trust us when we say you'll have a great time - we can't all be wrong!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

landon wrote:Answers:

#1: I understand fully that space flight is not the glamor (if you wanna call it that) presented in some movies.

#2: Thats the #1 reason why I wanna go.

#3 & 4: I don't really get along with other kids very well. I have always been the homeschooled kid who hangs out with older adults. So I really don't think I'll make to many friends.. Anyway, I'm not paying $1,000 to make friends, Im doing it so I can experiance the "Space" part of it. I'm just so much more mature than a lot of other kids "my age" (No disrespect to anyone here, you all seem very mature). I just don't get into the same stuff kids do.

#5: number 2 main reason why I wanna go.

Overall, to me its not the "Camp" experiance I wanna go for, its what the camp is , I never did like camp. Mom sent me to summer camp a few years back and I hated it... I'm just not one for being around groups of kids...
For the record its quite unlikely that you'll be the only homeschool student there. Take what Vincent says very seriously as its very true. A lot of us make the best friends we've ever met at space camp because we have more in common with them than we do other kids that we meet. I think that you'll find its very worth the money even though it seems like an awful lot.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

I hope it is not all Geeks.. 8O .. i was looking at a few pics

http://spacecamp.ibnerd.net/main.php

and IMO it looks like Geek Central. BTW Do u get a type of certificate stating you attended for the records?
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

i dint have an album up there but man thats harsh, and believe most of the people there arent geeks or nerds amazingly they usualy are in the minority, especially at ac, and most of the time at sc too
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Sorry I know this is a few post back
If you think anomalies like psychological ones don’t appear in space, such as astronauts would try open the hatch or air lock you are dead wrong. In Mike Mullane’s book he says the reason Commanders least in the days when he was flying was given the only key to the hatch was because one very bright astronaut was getting a little too interested in the hatch’s mechanism for his crew and Houston. Mike didn’t explain what happened to the crew member but after that commanders where given the only key to the hatch.

More recent topic
When I was there a few years back I to landon didn't have a lot of friends too. I was not home schooled but I was an only child who grow up around a lot of adults, but didn’t hurt me at camp. I actually made some friends both trainees and counselors A) who are very much like me and B) I was able to make friends out of my norm. When I went to camp the first time I was nervous about what I was getting into but I decided to go with the flow the best I could. Some of them around here know that I have had some problems at camp with maturity of my fellow campers but I have been able to look over it for the most part. The maturity level sometimes is controlled by the counselor you have, from the past three time I have been there I have had almost the full gamit of maturity levels of counselors: the mature, the one who is both mature yet still have a goofy side, the one who needs to find the decaffeinated coffee, and the one who if mature but lets the trainees act like goof balls.

Most recent topic
I know some here will not like me using this word but must of us are geeks but we are on different levels of geekyness and there are those who just come to camp for various reasons. I personally feel like Fatal291 you are using the word geek in the derogative sense. Plus you are only using the basis for the term by looking at about some hundred pictures and the pop culture ideas of a geek. You should not make a claim like that until you have been there. At Space Camp there are standard space travel fans, the closet geeks, the geeks who can recite all the lines from Star Wars, the D&D players, the nonconformist geeks, the anime geeks, and much more. I went to Tech school for one year and meet more geeks there then I will ever meet at camp. Plus look what the space program is run by geeks, bean counters, and some military types.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I personally don't consider myself a geek, and I love AC!

I've made some lasting friendships at camp, plus my brother met his girlfriend of over a year at camp, and they are the cutest couple I know!
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

being a geek is not bad.. not to mention the subject were talking about. I'm not saying it as a negative thing.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

That is one of things I dislike about the net it is hard tell what the person is actullay saying if they actually joking, being mean, or being real. But then why where you asking Fatal291 if Space Camp is geek central? As I have said at Space Camp you get levels of geek, I would say that you don't get many Super geeks.
I am sorry tennisrox014 I should have made it clear what I ment, I was mainly talking about Space Camp and geeks.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

i'm confused, so many words lol. :D
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

Haha. Okay, I chuckled looking at this. I don't know if most people would consider me a geek (I don't think so though) but my friends kinda always made fun of me for going to Space Camp and AC... not so much AC though, they just said I was obsessed. Crap even a guy at AC made fun of me for going to Space Camp later... it just happens. I dunno... I like all the interesting people you get to meet. Whenever you do something like this you are going to meet tons of different types of people, its part of the appeal for me. And I like talking to geeks... I am a history major and 3/4 of my classes are "geeks"... I find them very interesting to listen to and always learn something!!!

And to the guy who doesn't wanna make friends, I would almost reconsider going, you're going to have a miserable time. I met some of the best people at camp... I still talk to a few couselors and campers starting from when I first went in like 4th grade (now about to start my senior year of college). Just my opinion though... half of camp is the social aspect, and it may help you to hang out with kids your own age... :) I can't think of one person at camp I didn't like... maybe you can use this as a "growing experience"... Okay... I feel old so am gonna shut up. But give people a chance.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
landon
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by landon »

I'm not saying that "Im not gonna make friends!", I'm simply saying that making friends is not my main reason for going. So in the long run, if I dont make any friends, I won't be sad about it. If I do make a friend or two, great! I'm just not holinf it as my #1 priority for going, thats all.
Landon Parks,
[email protected]

Wants a Gmail address? Ask me.
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

lol space camp stereotypes....

First off i would like to say, yes i pay (hemehem..my parents pay)for me to go to space camp 80% for the kids. My first time, it was just for the experience and the interst in space. But now, its mostly for the kids i meet. And i really have little desire to work for NASA. But i go to spacecamp. I mean, i go to tennis camp and basketball camp. I dont plan on being Shaq or Federer. My friend goes to film camp. He has no desire to be a director. It IS that way for some though, im just saying camp is not a bunch of kids striving to major in quantum physics and more kids wanting become CAPCOMS for nasa .

Yeah when people think SpaceCamp they think a bunch of nerdy, homeschooled kids who are anti-social and don't have lives. I've been three times to Space Academy and everytime there has been tops ONE of those in each of my group. And they make tons of friends just like everyone else. Then there are the kids who don't make alot of friends at home so they try to act diferent at camp (because no one knows what they really are like). They make no friends. Beleive me. Don't Try it. [ok im getting a little overly stereotypical but bear with me]. Then there are the normal, average, popular, goths, jocks (yes i said jocks), punkrockers, stoners, dropouts, ditsy blondes, cheerleaders, rednecks, skaters, etc. While i was at camp, i know homophobes who've become great friends with gays and radical atheists who become best freinds with devout-cristians. Yeah. I'm not lying.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

I work my tail off during the summer and have paid for half of AC the last two years, but then I view Aviation Challenge as home and Georgia, my fall/winter/spring vacation. I LOVE AC. As for the kneepads, this really only applies to AC, but you get pretty banged up during E&E, and your knees take it the hardest, and knee pads could be helpful if you want some protection. Duct Tape does not really conern anything being broken, but theres always something you will find while your there you will need duct tape for.
As for friends, dont worry about it, my third year (2005) I wasnt going with friends like I usually do and I was worried that I would have a miserable time, quite the opposite, I STILL talk to a lot of my teammates, and it was without a doubt my best summer EVER!! Dont worry and just be yourself. Im kind of a hypocrite because I am me at AC, and not when Im at school. If you love Space Flight and have a passion about it, you'll get along just fine with other campers at SC
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Aviation Challenge Crew Trainer 2010-2011 - Starbuck
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

part of the fun though is showing each other the nasty bruises and cuts you get on your knees from E&E...
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

Thats true, but if you dont feel like getting any, even though most true to thecore ACers will take the cruises and cuts with pride
MACH II - 03 Hook/Jinx - Eagles(Anime) - Week 38 Right Stuff · MACH III - 04 Okra/Jinx - Blacklions(Snort) · MACH III - 05 Clips/Fish - Blacklions(Spyder) · MACH III - 06 Shaggy - Pukin Dogs(Stargate) · MACH III Elite - 07 Hawg/Forecast - Vigilanties(Spyder)
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I remember coming away with alot of scrapes and bruises when i was done with escape and evasion.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Spyder
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spyder »

oh yeah, I mean the last year I did E&E(I ended up in sick bay after SEAL OPS last year) I could not kneel comfortably for a couple of weeks, but man were those cuts and bruises cool looking
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

key on the brusies...yea i was really mad when i ran into the falcon(f16) bc my teeth were chipped and i had the scar across my face but now i think of it as a really cool scar bc i have this great story to go with it!!.. and im prolly the only one that has ever done that...lol
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper