Anyone from Richmond Virginia because i need help

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Anyone from Richmond Virginia because i need help

Post by Fatal291 »

Hey I've been trying to find some NASA programs near (Richmond, Virginia) but I can't.. Sure we have events at the Science Museum to view the sky every 3rd Friday.. but really thats it for here. All I get to do is watch NASA Programs on TV basically. Anyone here know of some programs I could get into to prepare me for NASA or any for of Astronomy? I realize many places are not in my area.. or even state but I am just looking for a group club at the least, their is nothing here to offer on this subject and I am growing restless and a little upset because of it. Thanks I've asked many NASA speakers yet they tell me to email them and never respond.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I don't know anyone group since I don't live in Virginia but you can try looking up rocket organizations, astronomy organizations, and various other groups on the web to see if any are in your local area. Some time you just have to look deep on the web. There are not of NASA sponsored programs for the kids or teens but when you get into college, doors to NASA or it’s contractors start to open. If you don’t believe me I can send you some names of people who are now working for Space program in some way. I kind of understand it is hard to find stuff to do space related. Plus with the way the space program.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Try www.nasa.gov there are several summer progra,s available to high school students including some residential ones if the location is't close enough. It's probably too late to apply for this year though Your closest NASA center is Langley Research center about 90 minutes away in Hampton VA i know they have had residential programs for students in the past. NASA funding especiallyu im the education field is up and down right now so i can't guarantee anything. But give it a try.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

^ Not trying to be mean but obviously that was my first choice to find Space Related programs. As far as Hampton it's not fair, no one is willing to drive me back and forth to Hampton from Richmond.. as much as I wish someone was the reality is they won't. The Sience Museum here SUCKS. Maby if I was 8 and had no idea how my body worked, or what kinds of snakes are in my backyard i would be impressed.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the programs may have been cut out completely thank congress for that one. As far as transportation that would have been the advantage to a residential program youd just have to get here at the start and a ride home at the end.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Living in hick-ville Alberta I have very limited space resources available to me. There is a science centre in Edmonton, at which I am a volunteer, but even its space exhibit is weak, and after going through it a few times I know it all...

However, being a volunteer there has opened some doors to me, even if they are small ones. I have been able to peruse their library of space stuff, help them develop better space exhibits, and improve upon their summer space camp.

Other ways to get involved with space definitely start at Space Camp. There, you learn more about the different ways you can become involved with the space industry and NASA. You will also meet up with teens and adults who know a whole lot about space, space programmes, and the many opportunities that are out there. Unfortunately for me, most of these opportunities were only open to US citizens, and the Canadian Space Agency - Agence Spatiale Candienne, only offer things to people in Ontario and Quebec for the most part.

Oooh... you could be a Space Camp counsellor...

There is always the self-study option, the one I use most often. My library card history will show that I have borrowed nearly every space science book from my local library and a few from libraries across the province. (Lobraries across Alberta are linked together so that you can borrow any book from any library and have it brought in to your local library for you - it's great... I'm sure tey have similar set-ups elsewhere.)

You can also investigate into astronomy clubs in your area, college courses on spatial mechanics, space physics, astronomy etc. Often Universitites will let high school students take courses if they have reference letters from teachers and demonstrate appropriate skills for the class. Then, as a university student later on, you can dive into serospace topics.

Lastly, there is the military option. I tried that route too but I didn't meet flight crew requirements due to some silly reason. The option is there though, and it could be worth pursuing.

Otherwise... I cannot think of too much else at the momet. There are so many ways to keep learning about space and being involved even in remote areas. You just have to keep looking, and take every small opportunity, for they may lead you to something bigger.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

(sign) To the user above I've been to all the sites you just listed thanks anyway. Most of the links on the sites to other sites that i would need don't work. I emailed almost every email address I saw on the NASA websites. As far as volunteer.. I sent them like 3 applications to volunteer and I've even left a message to check up on them and when or if i can work and I've herd nothing back from them. I hope you guys see why i am so upset about the limited amout of stuff here.. and what little we do have isn't very effective. :evil:
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well too bad yopu aremm't closer to hampton the Langley visitor center has so,e great volunteer oppurtunities. If ypu ever get down this way let me know i can show you alot of space history here.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

How about a ride.. I'm not even 30 mins from Richmond Airport :wink:
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

If i could i would do it but i don't have the transportation out there either unless its an ocasional hospital visit to mcv,
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

Don't go to MCV man, everyone knows to go to St Marry's.. MCV have you waiting like 20mins to an hour at times 8O I have asthma and longest I've waited at St Marry's was 15 minutes and that was because it was loads of people in there
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well brlieve ,e if i could avoid mcv i would but one of my doctors is there and the case i'm being treated for is an unusual one. For anything else i just go to the hospital in hampton.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008