Differences counselors in AC and Space Camp

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Differences counselors in AC and Space Camp

Post by ApolloXI »

I am still thinking where should I work as a counselor at the USSRC should it be AC or Space camp. I am asking for help from the counselors and campers what the differences in jobs between the two? Plus not going to AC hurt me.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

AC counselors have more freedom to do what they want with their team. Up top, counselors have the big wigs breathing down their back.

But really, part of it depends on whether you want to spend most of your day inside or outside. Also, AC counselors never get a real break when we have a team, whereas up top counselors get a break anytime they give their team off to a briefer.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

When you first start as a counselor (if you come in the winter), you will be Space side. If you like it, then stay there. If you want to see some of AC, cross train in the spring.

However, most counselors that start space, stay space, because there is a huge need for them and supervisors won't let you go. Even if you like AC.

If you start in the spring there is an AC only training, and you learn only Aviation. This makes you totally worthless to space side and you stay at the lake til it closes. Bad thing is, your out of a job too. hehe.

<Disclaimer: I am AC bias>

I find that AC has lots of breaks, hanging out in the woods, Centrifuge, SIMs, 150 times a day you change your clothes, lake time. However, you dont really need breaks if you are a good counselor that is willing to get down and be in the mud with your kids, that will earn their respect.

If you give that inch the first day, kids always take a mile. They will do anything you ask! Walk in a straight line, no prob, be quiet and listen to your briefings, no prob.

Then once they start learning the basics from their really cool counselor, they all want to push it to the next level --> Your time with them will fly, you'll teach them everything they need to know for competitions, they win all the medals, this makes you look good at grad, supers are happy and stay off your back, parents are happy and send their children to Mach 3, which makes everyone happy. Then you get to go home after grad happy, sleep good with the $900 bucks in your pocket from working doubles. All that, because you went the extra inch to get all muddy.

If you goof around, not really interested, seem bored and easily irritated -- Kids take the mile.

Ramblings over...
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I think what Who said serves as good advice for any leadership position. The more the 'leaders' (counsellors, teachers, etc.) get involved with what they are teaching, the more the kids will respect them.

I notice this HUGE everywhere I go. The best teachers are always the ones who get more involved and honestly have fun with what they are doing. Besides, sitting on the sidelines watching kids do things is horrendously boring!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

<Sorry below is a wee bit off topic, but I think it give you a good idea what things you will deal with at AC>

Somthing else about AC that are important -- things I learned the hard way.

Callsigns -- Every kid gets a code name or callsign, its tradition. Keep it simple, keep it COOL for the kids. Don't give your boys cutesy names, like Fluffy or somthing retarded. Even if they still carry around their teddy bear call them Mauler, or they crashed on their skateboard DONT call them Crash, Trip, Klutz; Try T.Hawk or Thrasher. Somthing that instills confidence in them and makes them want to get up and try again.

We have alot of ghey callsigns this year and it needs to change.

And don't change a callsign once it is given, because most of the time someone wants to change it because they did somthing silly. No. Things happen and move on.

Briefings -- Keep them interactive. If you teaching food procurement at AC, go out and look for berries and other fun thing to eat. They grow everywhere! Let them try out Jerrys taste test method.

Fly thru the book work, give them the fundementals, then reinforce with hands on. It shows that you know your stuff and makes your kids more eager to learn, pay attention and controllable.
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
Bubbles7
Camper
Camper

Post by Bubbles7 »

I dunno if I am biased or not. I went to Space Camp in FL twice, Space Academy once and then did Aviation Challenge 7 or 8 times. Um, AC counselors are more fun and laid back. My Space Camp counselors were nice, but rather dull. You definitely need a personality to be an AC counselor, from a camper perspective, I can remember almost all my AC counselors, but don't remember any of my Space Camp ones. AC rules :). I miss it!!!
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Hmmm. I thought the exact opposite of my adventures to ASA and Mach 3.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over