Hawai'i

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Hawai'i

Post by SpaceCanada »

Good Day All:

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I will be getting married this autumn. With that comes a honeymoon - to Hawai'i! We are trying to find some activities to do while we are there, as to not miss any spectacular attractions.

Has anyone here been to Hawai'i before? What are some 'not to be missed' activities there?

We will be visiting:
Kona, Hawai'i (big island) = 2 days
Hilo, Hawai'i (big island) = 1 day
Lahaina, Maui = 2 days
Honolulu, Oahu = 2 days

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
shenandoah04
Counselor
Counselor

Post by shenandoah04 »

I have never been... but... scuba? :P And maybe a volcano *I have been to Costa Rica, and volcanos are totally awesome* and... um... more later if I can think of any:)
Lisα
---
2000/Week 41/Team Atlas
2001/Week 41/ Team Shepard
2002/Week 39/Team Gagarin
SC/Robotics Counselor 2009 :mrgreen:
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Kona, Hawai'i (big island) = 2 days
-- Do the Volcano National Park and see the lava pour into the ocean, http://www.nps.gov/havo/
-- Lounge on the black sand beach, Kona also has great deep sea fishing if your into that. This side of the Big Island is mostly arrid with a desert type of climate. There is also a neat walk to some ancient Hawaiian rock carvings in Volcanos Park. You could also take a helicopter tour of the volcano, they are fun and you get a first hand view into the mouth of Kilaeua.

Hilo, Hawai'i (big island) = 1 day
-- Hilo has some of the most lush rainforests in the world, so bring a rain coat because it is almost always raining of some sort. There aren't many beaches here to goto, so I would recommend a walking tour to Rainbow or Akaka Falls.

Lahaina, Maui = 2 days
-- The west coast of Maui is a great place to lounge on the beach, there are many not so crowded white sand beaches all up the shoreline. Lahaina itself is a great place to shop during the day, eat in the evening and many fine art shops open at night to show off their wares. Lahaina was a whaling town at the return of the century and many of the sites have to do with that hertitage. If you went at Christmas you could take a sight seeing tour to view the whales that come of breed and give birth from Alaska.

Honolulu, Oahu = 2 days
On Oahu, I would recommend staying away from Waikiki during the day, it is way over crowded. The same with Hanama Bay, Japanese tourist trap. It might have looked good when Elvis was there, but its not good swimming anymore.

Waikiki really shines at night with a romantic dinner on/near the beach -- I recommend the lemon pepper Mahi Mahi.

Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial is a every interesting and humbling expirence.

If you have time, take the Dole Pineapple plant tour or head to the northshore to take in some of the local sites. Matsumotos shaved ice shack is a super cool place to visit on a hot afternoon. :)
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Wow... Who's got you fairly covered there.

Anyways, while you're there, make sure you try some chocolate-coverd macadamia nuts... those are wonderful.

I would also recommend a drive through the countryside of the Big island and touring some Kona farm-place-things and stuff... it's pretty fun. My family did that leg of the trip in a convertible... oh, that was so much fun!

That's all I can think of at the moment... congratulations and have a great time!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

I knew I forgot somthing -- Mac nuts in Hilo if you have enough time. Good call.

I went to high school in Hawaii, my parents were stationed there for 5 years. Travelled around the state a few times..
AC Callsign - Who?
Counselor 2002-04
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Wow, lucky you... it really is an awesome place. I've been once.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, thanks heaps Who!

Those are some amazing ideas. While helicopter tours may be out of our budget, all your other ideas sound like things we may plan.

Reading about food makes me hungry... the lemon pepper mahi mahi sounds great. Can you get it at most places? Also, where is the Matsumoto's shaved ice shack you speak of? I like going to places people recommend - hidden wonders and such.

Chocolate covered macadamia nuts are a must indeed. We get them here from various people who visit Hawai'i. Yum!

Once again, thank you! I will let you know if I have any more questions.
- Jennifer -
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/ Da site...! (Local hawaiians speak piegon english -- learn it, live it, love it.) The map of how to get there is at the bottom of the page.

Mahi Mahi is almost everywhere -- just get it fresh, that is the best.

DON'T EAT TILAPIA FISH, they are the worst, nasty bottom eaters. For some reason, people in Alabama love this fish. If you ever catch one and gut it, you will find all kind of grossness in it, rocks, dirt, poo, small children. blah.
AC Callsign - Who?
Counselor 2002-04
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I've heard very good things about the lemon pepper Mahi Mahi now from multiple sources so thats def. a good bet if you like fish. I've had Mahi Mahi before (though i dont remember what we seasoned it with) and its very good. More of a light flakey fish than most fish we eat in America.

Correction: I guess rather than saying America I should say on the mainland or else i just end up sounding kinda redundant. :lol:
Last edited by Space Nerd on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

Jen, you may want to check out the following thread on the collectspace bulletin board for spaced themed things to do in Hawaii:

http://collectspace.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002658.html

Hope one or more work out for you!
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

congrats on the sweet honeymoon! I've been to Maui and would def. recommend taking a snorkling trip. there are some boats that will take you to reefs to snorkel. and also while i was there it was humpback whale season, so if your trip is during whale season you might want to go on a whale watching trip. in any case im sure you'll have fun no matter what you decide to do!
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, great ideas everyone!

Snorkelling will definitely be a must. That is, if we can teach ourselves how to snorkel at the pool before we go! (I can SCUBA, but snorkelling is beyond me!)

We also want to take a surfing lesson in Maui. I hear it is a lot of fun, albeit challenging.

I also heard that along Waikiki beach in the day there are sailboats for hire to take you on a short trip out to sea and back. Anyone heard of these - do they exist? Are they worth it?
- Jennifer -