bad counselors

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

31337Psyche_AKA_Relena
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Tha coolest counselors

Post by 31337Psyche_AKA_Relena »

Lenny, Laura & Dr. Phil rule!! They are so funny (escpecially Lenny), he let us play dodgeball in a room way too tiny (so we'd kill eachother that way :lol: ) It was so funny, we threw the dodgeballs at him and stuff.
To catch me, you gotta be fast... To find me, you gotta be smart... But to
be me...!! [darn]! You must be kidding!
Goddard Kicks Ass!!
Pluto101
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Pluto101 »

Carlos was our counselor on the 8-day... He's the MAN! Don't dis Carlos, anybody.

First of all, he let us play hide and go seek at night in the Rocket Park, which was sweet.

And once we were done w/ that, he taught us to salsa. No, seriously.

True, he can be a little testy. But who would wanna piss him off when he's so much fun happy?
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

I would have to agree Carlos is the man if youre not on his bad side....we talked about European adventures and spanish music the whole time i was around him
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

I've been twice once to SA and once to ASA, SA i had 2 awesome counsilors, Lindsay and Pat, though pat was only okay. In asa i had one awesome counsilor, Julie, and one horrible, mean counsilor Robby. It was cool though. I sitll had a good time, though it would have been better if i hadn't had robby, he was mean to everyone.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

My AC counselors have always been fabulous!

My ASA counselors were good too, but my team was a tad unruly, so they spent most of the week disciplining bad behavior.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
demonicus
Camper
Camper

Post by demonicus »

random: i love carlos. i was wicked sad when i heard he left.

when i went to ac last year, there was this counselor named rg. he was a complete a**hole. excuse my profanity. he used to yell at practically everyone for no reason. espically the girls. everybody hated him. even kids who werent even on his team. when it came time to do the serveys, kids on teams who didnt even have him wrote bad stuff about him. one of the 12 day counselors even made sure that he didnt come back he was such a problem.

and just a little trip down memory lane, when i did academy back in 01, my day leader went on a personal mission to try to convert me to christianty. take in mind that i am an atheist (person who doesnt believe in god). he used to pick on me so bad. his name was i believe jason. and he had blonde hair. i think i have a pic of him some where in my endless box of photos.

will mcrea.he killed my teams mascot back in 05. also he should dye his hair back to blonde. he doesnt have the face for jet black hair. he is really mean.i could say more things but it includes profanities and their are young children who go on this site. so yea.
m2-(7/15-7/20/01)
as-(7/22-7/27/01)
m3-(6/28-7/4/03)
asa-(7/19-7/25/03)ps
asa-(6/26-7/4/04)pilot
asa-8 day(8/7-8/14/04)ms
m3-(6/25/05-7/1/05)
asa-12 day-(7/17-7/29/05)ms
asa-12 day-(7/2-7/14/06)ms
asa-12 day-(6/10-6/22/07)ms
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

demonicus wrote:random: i love carlos. i was wicked sad when i heard he left.

when i went to ac last year, there was this counselor named rg. he was a complete a**hole. excuse my profanity. he used to yell at practically everyone for no reason. espically the girls. everybody hated him. even kids who werent even on his team. when it came time to do the serveys, kids on teams who didnt even have him wrote bad stuff about him. one of the 12 day counselors even made sure that he didnt come back he was such a problem.

and just a little trip down memory lane, when i did academy back in 01, my day leader went on a personal mission to try to convert me to christianty. take in mind that i am an atheist (person who doesnt believe in god). he used to pick on me so bad. his name was i believe jason. and he had blonde hair. i think i have a pic of him some where in my endless box of photos.

will mcrea.he killed my teams mascot back in 05. also he should dye his hair back to blonde. he doesnt have the face for jet black hair. he is really mean.i could say more things but it includes profanities and their are young children who go on this site. so yea.
That's the same with my counsilor Robby, he hated girls and was so mean to all of us. We all wrote bad things about him. Luckily, he left, but he just had to leave 1 month after i went there, urh, he couldn't have left a month sooner lol. He especially singled me out because of my pain and stuff, which i can't even control, it's not my fault when i get in so much pain i can't walk. The first night he was even more mean to me. He made a couple mean cracks about my ankles. Anyways, yeah, but he's the only one i've had that was bad.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
HighSpeed03
Counselor
Counselor

Thank Goodness!

Post by HighSpeed03 »

Glad to see my name isn't on the Bad Counselor list. I had a blast working at Space Camp / AC. Greatest birth control ever! Haha. No offense to my former trainees!
AC Callsign - High Speed
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

I hated my Space Academy counselors... so much I don't remember their names. Maybe its cuz it was my first time in Huntsville and had always done Space Camp in Florida (2 1/2 hours from my home). Whatever... I became an AC junkee after so it all worked out.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I couldn't remember her and probably wouldn't say her name if I did. But I had what I would consider not such a good counselor, or maybe she just found working with adults too difficult or not her cup of tea.

I read here that people find being a counselor for adults a little hard. As the campers are way older. Funny thing though that the counselors at AC were MUCH better with us and very easy going. OTOH, I never found any adult ignore the safety instructions or anything like that, but they didn't relax and enjoy us. Some of us knew more about space as well.
(We actually had 3 NASA engineers at SA the same time I was-- they were in a different team than I was.) However, I think most adults doing this sort of thing are open and are interested in a new experience. What I saw was a person that found it a little hard to relate, and just be a person.

Anyway, I love to take pictures. I am so happy I have all those pictures too. But this counselor made quite a nasty comment about "all you want is the pictures" or some such. I don't know why I recall it after all those years. But it does show a certain disregard for more adult sensibilities.
I doubt a kid would want to photo journal their whole SC experience. But I have pictures of everything except the inside of the bathroom. LOL!
(The outside I have). BTW, the AC staff were not upset by this and I have a gorgeous picture of one of them in full regalia, smiling for the camera.

Maybe we don't live quite as much in the present but remember the past and imagine a future. It might make adults a little less fun to work with.

Maybe some current or future counselor might be able to take a little something from that.

--des
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I can relate to being an instructor for adults. It can be intimidating at first, but if you fall back to the golden rule of 'teaching WITH your students' (not AT your students) things get a lot easier.

As for pictures... you should post them on the Hab1 Photo Portal! We all want to see them. (Or, at least, I do...)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

That's the thing. You just have to relax and be yourself. Most adults who go are total space geeks so you should have that in common if you would work there practically free and with no benefits. :-)
One advantage with adults is that you shouldn't have to worry about anybody running off or acting up. (Unless you go to parties at the Marriot.)

I have lots of pix. Trouble is none of them are digital. (Digital wasn't invented then, if you believe that.) So I am going to have to scan them. I'm guessing spring break will give me the time to do such a thing.

--des
SpaceCanada wrote:I can relate to being an instructor for adults. It can be intimidating at first, but if you fall back to the golden rule of 'teaching WITH your students' (not AT your students) things get a lot easier.

As for pictures... you should post them on the Hab1 Photo Portal! We all want to see them. (Or, at least, I do...)