"Stupid Space Camp"

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Do you think that TV Programs such as "The Simpson" "Eight Simple Rules" & "Grounded for Life" make Space Camp Alumni look like geeks?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 23
WesL
Camper
Camper

"Stupid Space Camp"

Post by WesL »

Tonight I was working on my college homework and my wife was flipping through the channels and she landed on the WB. The show "Grounded for Life" was on and it was the season finale.

Now this actually does have something to do with Space Camp I promise. From what I understand the redheaded daughter of the main character is dating a guy. This guy has always commented on the fact that he has gone to Space Camp for the past 5 years. The girlfriend orders him not to go again and so on. The whole concept including the last part where she chases him to the bus going to Space Camp makes anyone has ever been to Space Camp look like a total geek

This isn't the first time. From the Simpsons to Eight Simple Rules to Dating My Teenage Daughter, the camp programs are made out to be a geek paradise.

But, yet nothing is done to defend the honor of the programs that have hosted over 400,000 graduates from movie stars, CEO's of multi-million dollar companies, children of rock stars and Presidents and ME.

It just seems that the branding strategy simply does not include anything to make the camp programs look remotely un-geekish. I honestly believe that as long as this goes on there will not be any major growth in the attendance of the camp programs.

I like the camp programs. They inspired me to take harder classes in school and I believe the same is true for lots of other campers. I just wish people would quit making it look like a geek-land.
Last edited by WesL on Sat May 08, 2004 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

PS... The subject line...

The phrase "Stupid Space Camp" was used over 4 times during the "Grounded for Life" show that I watched. The writers must have thought it was a catchy phrase.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

And Space Camp wonders why attendance is down..... :roll:
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

on the brothers garcia, a nickeloen (sp?) show, the youngest boy really likes space and wentto space camp one. they didnt show the actual camp or anything, but he was all excited about it and everything and it made it look good for younger kids.
and one time on golden girls a girl went to space camp.
i havent seen any of the shows where they make it look bad though.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I look at it this way.

It's like anything else that was popular. It'll get knocked on. Especially by the Simpsons =)

I wouldn't worry to much. Though, I dunno if I would go around boasting I've been so much. Not that it wouldn't make me proud, but boasting about it probably is leaning toward the geeky side =)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
MAYTAG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by MAYTAG »

my opinion, let them think what they want to, we know how great it is who really cares what other people think about camp
ΣX IΓ 229

Mach II-July 6-12, 2002
ASA-July 5-11, 2003
Mach III- July 12-18, 2003
Mach III- July 3-9, 2004 Gunslingers (Callsign:Tiny)
ASA- July 10-16 Oberth
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

There's no such thing as bad publicity. So they say. I would disagree, though 'bad' is certainly a matter of opinion. But this kind of publicity isn't bad.
Ad astra per aspera.
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

friends

Post by CampGirlKelly »

there was an epesode of friends about a little girl who wanted to go to space camp and ross did something (i cannot remember what.. i will have to go back and watch the dvd) to prevent her from being able to. in the end, she was completely bummed and ross and joey made a mock space camp in joey's apartment for her.
i thought the fact that they were showing a popular girl wanting to go to space camp was pretty cool, considering the way it is portrayed in other popculture venues.

kelly
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

Geeks are cool! 8)
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

lol I have to watch Author with my sister.. and Buster (the rabbit) always thinks about space.. Some day they will appreciate us geeks.
shenandoah04
Counselor
Counselor

space campers and our awesomeness

Post by shenandoah04 »

No matter what they do, they CANNOT make us look like geeks, 'cause we're just that awesome!
Lisα
---
2000/Week 41/Team Atlas
2001/Week 41/ Team Shepard
2002/Week 39/Team Gagarin
SC/Robotics Counselor 2009 :mrgreen:
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Re: friends

Post by Deimos »

CampGirlKelly wrote:there was an epesode of friends about a little girl who wanted to go to space camp and ross did something (i cannot remember what.. i will have to go back and watch the dvd) to prevent her from being able to. in the end, she was completely bummed and ross and joey made a mock space camp in joey's apartment for her.
i thought the fact that they were showing a popular girl wanting to go to space camp was pretty cool, considering the way it is portrayed in other popculture venues.

kelly
I believe she was selling cookies, and he accidently knocked her down or something and broke her leg, so she didn't sell all the cookies enough to go (i believe it was girl scouts thing that she was in for, and wanted to win the prize) I liked that episode and stuff, I hate that show grounded for life though, i watched that show about the space camp one and i got soo mad when they showed it in that way...urh. Lol.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

aww... I've never seen that friend's episode, but that's sad!
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award