Fun things to bring to camp?

Going to camp soon? Have questions about camp? Post them here for those that have gone to answer.

Moderator: Vincent

meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

cool! if we put them all on the same channel, could we use all four?
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Yeah, you could. I can bring my CB radios, but I don't have headsets for them. Could be cool if there are truckers nearby.
Ad astra per aspera.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

yeah benj, except we're on different sessions. :D (see check-in for week 36...lol) what, do you people not read other's posts?!?
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

Benji wrote:Could be cool if there are truckers nearby.
In Alabama, where aren't there truckers nearby?
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

"Happy New Year! OH WAIT, IT'S NOT THE NEW YEAR YET."
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

meg wrote:yeah benj, except we're on different sessions. :D (see check-in for week 36...lol) what, do you people not read other's posts?!?
I know that. The first part of my post was "yes, you can hook them up". The rest of the post was unrelated to your session.
Ad astra per aspera.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

Benji wrote:I can bring my CB radios...
uhhuh. :D
oh, come on, you know i love you! 8)
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

im really confused. this thread went from truckers to cb radios...whats goin on??
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol, they're connected...well, somehow. just read back a few.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
REDBeckyD
Counselor
Counselor

Post by REDBeckyD »

Hey y'all - just a friendly FYI from a counselor...

A group of kids on one of my ASA teams last summer brought walkie-talkies, and were caught by the security guards. The radios were confiscated, and the trainees were almost sent home from Camp. I wouldn't tempt fate.
Academy II, Spring 1996
ASA, Christmas Camp 1997-1998

ASA Counselor, 2001 and 2003
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

Yeah, Jason told us about that last summer. Isn't the rest of the story that they were:

A) using the walkie talkies to sneak up to the fourth floor or down from it during the middle of the night

and

B) They didn't even bother to listen for a few minutes, because they were using the exact same channel as the security guards?

Thats what I remember, at least.
If we're not using it to sneak out and have lots of PDA violations, and we're not disturbing anyone else, and we're not causing a ruckus, I don't really see what the harm is.
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

No harm huh? Well everyone needs to pay better attention during their welcome briefing. All electronic devices (walkie talkies, radios, Gameboys, cell phones, etc.) are prohibited. In other words, you can't have them. For the first time in forever, counselors and supes are cracking down on this. Don't tempt it, don't take it. Things have been confiscated lately.
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

All electronic devices? Wow.
Isn't that.....err...a little, well, anal?
Meh. I suppose I can always just hide my digital camera, music player, and my flashlight in my pillowcase. [/u]
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

you're not supposed to bring cell phones either? thats annoying. its a lot easier to call your mom from your cell phone then to buy a calling card and wait in line for ever at the pay phones to call while you still have a line of people behind you. and for the whole flying alone thing my parents definitely feel more comfortable with me having my cell phone. as long as you dont have it on all the time, with it ringing during breifings and stuff i dont see the issue with having a cell phone at camp.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I have to agree there. My parents are definitely more comfortable with me travelling alone if I have a cell phone. Not only that, but why would I buy a calling card to call home when I have nationwide coverage on my cell phone that I'm already paying for regardless of whether or not I'm using it. I can understand confiscating them from kids that leave them on during briefings and stuff, but I left mine locked in my locker during the day and used it at night when we're allowed to call home anyway. No one ever seemed to have a problem with it.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Hey, REDBeckyD, was that week 39? I think I was there... not one of them, but I definitely heard about it the next day or something.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... are you all sure that it's completely prohibited? I seem to remember that it's simply highly unrecommended.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

i know that bringing stuff like that invites people to steal it and thats your fault, but why are the rules so strict? i mean, ive always brought a cell, cd player, flashlight, etc. and never have had a problem.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

It not whether you like it or not, it's the rule.
Drumrollz
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Drumrollz »

Thats just avoiding the question. Its like saying that its the law that you can't jaywalk in New York City, but the cops aren't gonna cart you off just because you jaywalked. In fact, they'll probably ignore you.

The real question is, is that a rule from a while ago that counslers are lax about now, or is it a new rule that just was initiated?

Cause I know cellphones were being used constantly during the evening last year, and CD players, MP3 players, digital cameras were all being used constantly during the day.
SA July 2001

ASA July 2002

ASA July 2003

ASA 8-Day July 2004

ASA 8-Day X-Mas 2004

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I am not a councellor and I have not been to camp in way too long, but I thought I'd add my interpretation. This is how it stands at other places I have been to recently, and I am guessing they are similar at Space Camp.
Counsellors feel free to comment.

1. No non-essential electronics, such as computers, PDAs, personal radios, video games, etc. Most places I go don't even let you bring electronic toothbrushes, it's just one of the rules...

2. People travel with mobile phones, but when you arrive at camp they must be turned off and stowed. If you are going to use them, call your parents at night but keep it short. Then, promptly return the phone to your locker. Never bring it anywhere else; that's just rude.

3. Music devices should be stowed in your locker when you get to camp. They stay there until you go home. Vocal chords, a few good jokes, and some stories will be just as entertaining.

Realistically speaking, you don't need anything but the goo between your ears (and maybe a deck of playing cards) to keep you entertained at camp. Thus, I cannot see a reason why people would be so upset about the 'no electronics' rule. Sure some of those things could be fun, but they aren't necessary and they have a good chance of creating tension between people who didn't bring things and those who did.

Keep it simple... bring a book...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Books are nice, yes... although I'm still reading the book I brought last time! Haha... I never have free time to read... at camp or at home.

Hmm... what about digital cameras? I'm thinking I'll either keep it on me, sitting on a bench next to a teammate, or locked in my locker at all times... should be all right, right?
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.