My trip to Avation Challenge

A place for ACers to come and hang out after a hard day of escape-and-evade or survival training.

Moderator: Vincent

Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

My trip to Avation Challenge

Post by Space Nerd »

Well the very first thing i have to say about AC is that it shares no comparisons to Space camp! I wasnt sure i liked it for a while but looking back on it now i realize how much fun it actually was!! The first day was fun and i admit being a little scared when they showed us how to make our racks, I remember thinking oh man i am never going to be able to do this. Even the most active sleeper learns to sleep real still so they dont have to do much to thier beds in the morning lol. Luckily i have the ability to get ready really fast and i have really short hair so it dosnt take me long to get ready in the morning at all which made our counselors Beebo and Papa Smurf real happy because it was one less person that was keeping us from getting to breakfast early. The next few days all kindof mash togther but i do remember my first time in the sims we were waiting on a few of our people so i didnt have a RIO so i didnt do to well. When the guy finally did get there i decided to let him be pilot and i would be RIO im still thinking that this might have been a bad idea.
Either way i really enjoyed the survival training as i was already really big into that (my friends tease me because they say i could live off of my back pack for at least a week). The water training was also very enjoyable. Twoards the end of the week when we had our first patroling session we talked Beebo into getting us some water balloons and we had a mission. We filled up about 30 water balloons and hid them in the pockets of our BDUs. we then patrolled out toward the obstacle course to which we hid in the woods till the other team finished. When they started to walk by we threw everything we had at them and ran. It was great and it made us feel good lol.
On the last night of camp we left our comfortable barracks for the woods at about 5:00 we then headed out back to which we were handed MREs (meal ready to eat) it was a treat if that what you want to call it lol. Then we started our navy seal ops. we finally found the bridge and blew it up at about 9:00. From here we went straight back to the obstacle course to start Escape and Evasion. We were given some last minute directions and sent on our way. Me and my partner Sunny finally made it out of the woods at about 11:00 shortly after our teammates everybody from my team made it out. Beebo had promised us something special when we finished so we were greated with donoughts and coke. The next day we found out that two girls from my team had one top gun and that we had won the red flag competition. GO JOLLY ROGERS.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well it sounds like you had a great time when you were there. I noticed some obvious changes since i went just from what you described. When i went in 96 their was no obstacle course and we didnt so seal ops. also we wore old flight suits for escape and evasion not BDU's which in my opinion makes it a little more realistic since your supose to be pilots. Also instead of Dohnuts we got Pizza after out Eand E. If you have pictures id love to see them especially ones of the sims since ive heard they changed since i was there. What was your callsign?
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Well i dont really have pics of anything at ac really and im not sure why. As for the pizza thing none of the groups got anything except us just because our counselor loved us lol. And my callsign was Sherlock. Rather apropriate for a RIO wouldnt u say? Anyways sorry it took me so long to reply to that.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well its good to have another RIO on the board. I did some of both pilot and Rio but for the mission and the Top Gun competition i was Rio.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

dude, i loved being a RIO, my pilot definitly left much to be desired in the way of taking notes or knowing where to go, so i actually did alot, everyone at camp was fighting to be pilots , i was just like sure ill be a rio and it was so fun during top gun , you get to like totally anticipate where the other plane will go, its tons of fun i would definitly recommend being a rio
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I did A LOT of navigating, unfortunately my pilot had a problem seeing numbers to land so we had a heck of a time getting back onto the run way in our ending mission.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

my pilot one time forgot to put down her landing gear after the two of us agreed she would do it, so we were all set up for this perfect landing and we thought we were all that, but instead of hearing the wheels on the runway, our screen zoomed out to show our plane blowing up. it was actually REALLY, REALLY funny. the counselers were all military like and tried to tell us we were dead, but it didnt really help that me and my pilot were laughing so hard we probobaly had a mild case of hypoxia(yahhhh... the only flight phyisiology term i remember!!) :D
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I remember trhe first night whjen we were practicing carrier landings at ac i had just made my first successful carier landing when next thing i know i was looking at the engines of another plane. They never told us anything about taxying our plane out ofthe way so i was waiting for the sime to be reset so i could go again when someone landed on top of me.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

my pilot seemed to have problems with numbers, especially ones in the place that indicated your elevation, adn so one mission we were flying doing really good and then she just flew us straight into the ground, and we didnt know how to eject so we got to watch ourselves crash, yet again
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

lol we ejected, during top gun i believe.
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

yeah, we had 2 flights on my team and one the first flight no one on my flight made it back, the first plane got lost looking for our plane since we were the flight leaders and got shot done while flying in big beautiful circles.... the second one to get shot down, had some, lets call them dicrectional/alttitud issues... and then my pilot was looking at the other planes screen and wasnt paying attention and she crashed us straight into the ground...
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
fish_ac
Camper
Camper

Post by fish_ac »

when me & Lizard were@ AC.....the two most ummmm...."aeronautically challenged" guys on our team "accidentally bombed a building that wasn't even near the target & promptly started celebrating.....

when they got outa the plane....this conselour gave them court marshall papers.....they were so darn proud to be the first people ever court marshalled @ AC!!!.........
Last edited by fish_ac on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC Mach III Dec. 28 2003-Jan. 02 2004--- callsign "Fish"
AC Mach III April 4-9 2004--- callsign "Joker"
AC Mach III Dec. 27 2004-Jan. 01 2005
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

OMG, yeah, they said they wanted to get a plaque made that had their names on it to hang in the sims room, we all just laughed at them, they had issues
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Only funny moment i remember in the sims when i was at Ac was one day when they let us have basicly a dogfight free for all when we finished early one day. I we really hadnt had any combat training yet as it was early in the wek. So i got on someones tail. Perverts to be exact although i didnt know it at the time i fired a missile at him. Next thing i know i hear him Yell "WHO THE H### FIRED A MISSILE AT ME?" everyone got a good laugh out of it unfortunately i missed.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
fish_ac
Camper
Camper

Post by fish_ac »

i shot down pyro while we were "training" on the 2nd day.....lurch promptly booted me & my pilot [squirt] out of the sims for the next half an hour.........it was worth it though!
AC Mach III Dec. 28 2003-Jan. 02 2004--- callsign "Fish"
AC Mach III April 4-9 2004--- callsign "Joker"
AC Mach III Dec. 27 2004-Jan. 01 2005