Finding Joy in Sorrow

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Finding Joy in Sorrow

Post by stargazer0105 »

Yesterday, one of the kindergarten students at the school where my mom teaches kindergarten (though the student is not in her class) passed away. While this is sad, my mom told me some information today that slightly cheered me up. Apparently he wanted to be an astronaut, and one of the little girls in my mom's class came up to her today and said, "One of the astronauts that died last year was a Christian, and I think Tommy is in heaven talking to him now." (OK, so that was a rough paraphrase, but from the mouths of babes). How sad yet fitting that he should share the same death date as his heroes of Columbia. However, during almost all times of sorrow there is some joy, and mine comes from the fact that the parents of the boy have asked that all memorial contributions be made to space camp. As a result, I am giving a set of my wings to the family, to either bury them with their son once the cause of death has been determined, or to keep in memory of their son. I feel so much love and sympathy for this family right now, and urge all of you to keep this family in mind and those of you who pray to keep them in your prayers, they have lost their only child.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lindsey, that is so incredibly cool! its nice when people don't always want for themselves. and to think: a few someones will be extremely happy to go to camp and he will forever live in each trainee's memory. thanks for sharing!
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I went to the calling last week, which was incredibly sad but incredibly sweet at the same time. His parents had a whole display set up of all his space stuff, and his collection included an autographed photo of Dave Wolfe. He was well ahead of my collection and he was only 6. Anyway, just wanted to try and wrap everything up.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Obituary can be found here for anyone interested: http://www.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituar ... w&id=17733