bad counselors

A forum for discussion about, questions to, and general musings about the people that really make the Space Camp programs possible.

Moderator: Vincent

LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

bad counselors

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

did any of you have a counselor that you just didnt like? and made your time there really bad?
my night counselor, erik was augh awful in my opinion. he often came late, making our day counselor, scooby, stay with us longer when she had to go to school shortly after leaving us. he really just didnt seem like he cared about us or what we did, and talked down to us a lot. ah i had so many problems with him that i wanted to go home and my mother wrote a quite lengthy letter to the administration when i came home. ahh if hes there when i go back im going to scream

hehehe i just realized we can change the color of the font
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bad counselors

Post by Vincent »

LaRsOnAtRiXkIx wrote:hehehe i just realized we can change the color of the font
Yeah...maybe I should disable that! :wink:

Seriously though...I did once, many years ago, have a counselor that, while not horrible, qualifies as the worst one I've had at camp (someone had to, I guess)...in fact, she was the only counselor I've had that I *might* call a bad counselor...

...she wasn't completely horrible, but she was a little self-centered and treated us more so like just little children than any other counselor I've had...

But it didn't ruin my time at camp or anything...I still had a blast!

...And I find that most of the people there like their jobs and enjoy the campers...you're bound to find a bad apple anywhere you go, but I do believe Space Camp has fewer than their share, so your chances of getting a bad counselor are pretty slim...

LaRsOnAtRiXkIx: You *should* be able to ask for a specific counselor if you give them a call...if you need some suggestions, I'm sure everyone here would be able to provide you with the names of some great counselors...and if not, I'd be happy to.
Last edited by Vincent on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

My day councellor was late one morning. We were told to be down at the bottom of the Hab by 7 and he came at 7:30. We bugged him but he said he was suppose to be their for 7:30. Our night councelor let us do whatever we wanted. We didn't want todo the Space Debate so she let us play tag under the shuttle !! :D
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I cant say i had a bad counselor but i did have one that just tried too hard. We were her first group and she was a little too by the book compared to our night counselor that year.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I can;t imagine any bad space camp coundelors. They all seem to love their job so much.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ASAScubaDude
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Being an ASA counselor was awesome!

Post by ASAScubaDude »

That job was truely one of the best things I ever did. I never went to Space Camp as a kid, so my first time there was as a counselor. Talk about having the best job in the world! During the year I was there I met people from all over the world, had lunch with astronauts, got my Master SCUBA Diver certification. There are a lot of diver's out there that like to brag about diving here and diving there and all the gear they have. I always win when I show them that I got certified in an Underwater Astronaut Trainer.....now that's sweet!

The truth is I wished that job would have never ended. Even though the things I did as a counselor were pretty much the same week after week it was all of you kids that made it worth it. Some who had never been there and some who had and were finding something new. It was your excitement that fueled ours. So if any of you are thinking about being a counselor I say go for it. If you want to know why you should do it (one of the questions on the application), the answer is simple...aside from being honest and being yourself the thing that will help you suceed the most is a genuine interest in space sciences, education and the desire to inspire others to discover the wonders of Space Camp as you have.
Emazon
Camper
Camper

Post by Emazon »

I had one bad counciler-Tara. She was M E A N mean! She was also a priss, and unless you pull it off just right, so it's amusing and not hellishly annoying, it doesn't help. She yelled and fussed and was too uptight and anal rententive to work with ASA'ers.

Then there was Collin. He wasn't bad... He just put too much faith in 4 square... Oh, yeah, and he abandoned us on Swim-Day. We sat at the bottom of the hab in towels and gym shorts and swim suits, waiting to go to breakfast, saying "Will you be our counciler? Will you be our counciler? We need a counciler."
"I ride the Short Orbiter to Space!"
"HEY! HO! LETS GO!"
"Stipper! STIPPER!"

One time SA Spacebowl Champ 1999
One time ASA MS Award Champ 2001
One time Mach 3 Admiral's Cup Champ 2002
One time ASA Area 51 Champ 2003
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

Phillip left a girl by the restrooms once. We got all the way to the pool, through the rules, and were swimming when the bus driver came down to the community center with the girl and brought her back.
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
AstroGirl
Camper
Camper

Post by AstroGirl »

The first year I went to regular academy my day counselor was kind of evil. Her name was Taiwan I think, I dont think she's there anymore. She didn't know what she was talking about, she wasn't even interested in space. Last year I had Carlos and a lot of people didnt like him but I didnt have a problem with him ...
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I think it was the first time I went to Huntsville or Advanced Academy, but I had a week that wasn't so great. My team thought I was a moron and I got two crappy positions in the sims, neither of the ones I asked for, even though one girl got both of the ones she asked for (that's why I like ASA, you choose your track and know you'll like what you do). The counselor's explination: "We try to give everyone one good and one not-so-good position." I could see I wasn't going to get anywhere, so I didn't say anymore, but I thought: "Yeah, except I got two [bad] ones."

I've still never been CDR.
Ad astra per aspera.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Dude Carlos is so the man. Too bad he doesnt work there. Just don't make him mad and you are good to go. Though the last time I saw him he was all calm and stuff..
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

He wasnt any too calm when he was in the orbiter for EDM two years ago lol. In fact he was more like the opposite of calm.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
AstroGirl
Camper
Camper

Post by AstroGirl »

This one guy called him a drug lord. Big mistake. They were at odds the whole week. It was quite funny to watch, actually...
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Yeah don't talk about Columbia or anything negative about it for that matter around Carlos....bad idea. I think the first thing he ever said to me was the f word actually...
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Carlos was pretty cool. He ran one of our little missions and Brent was always talking to him, so we saw him quite a bit.
Ad astra per aspera.
KHu
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by KHu »

Carlos is awesome. :)
He lives across the street from me! How cool is that? I live near a Columbian drug lord. ;) *wink wink nudge nudge*
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

I would have to agree that carlos is the man even though he said i look like thomas, which i dont btw. isnt he training his child to kill brent?
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Maverick Shades
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

CARLOS!!!!!

Post by Maverick Shades »

carlos was a good counselour...
surprising actually
because...at first glance he looks harmless...
kind of like ernie from sesame street....but man...after a week with him I wouldn't mess with the guy

he broke up a nerd fight on the last nite we were there.
somebody yelled fight...and Carlos just went running into the room...fearless
I was like "uh oh...somebody's getting messed up."

One of the older counselours was telling our team and two others about how he (the older counselour) had just retired from a career in undercover narcotics surveillance. He said his job had taken him to Colombia, at which point half the people in the room said..."Did you bust Carlos?!?!?!"

Carlos :arrow: :evil:
Mach II, June 2000
Space Academy, June 2001
Mach III, June 2002
Mach III, June 2003
Advanced Space Academy, June 2004
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

haha carlos is cool man....i wouldnt mess with him either though. so i fyoure on his good side youre good to go!
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00