Space Camp analyzing decline in attendance

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Space Camp analyzing decline in attendance

Post by Benji »

I read the whole article that was posted about on the Hab1 homepage. It was very interesting. There were a lot of facts and figures that read like a piece of cardboard. I think that, along with an appropriate marketing plan, attendance may increase as travel fears decrease.

Towrds the end of an article, there was a section about international licences that said: Two "big U.S. companies" are trying to put a deal together that would create a Space Camp in the Far East, Capps said. And potential backers continue to talk about camps in Australia and Korea.

I think an Australia camp would do pretty well, there seem to be a lot of Aussies attending Space Camp.
Ad astra per aspera.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Just so long as they put the Australian Space Camp near the Parkes Observatory!

...The Parkes Observatory relayed the Apollo 11 broadcast from the Moon. Everyone should go see the movie "The Dish" for more info and a great movie!
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I actually just put The Dish on hold. There was a Space.com poll and one of the answers was The Dish, but I'd never heard of it, so I looked it up and placed a hold on it at the library.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I read the article too and i'm glad to hear that camp is atleast still operating in the black thats a good sign. Hopefully this conference they are holding can figure something out. And i hope space camp california will do better this time around.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Less counselors = doubles = crankiness = less fun for trainees

We are the last Space Camp in the US - No SC Ca or Fl ...
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
HighSpeed03
Counselor
Counselor

Post by HighSpeed03 »

Who wrote:Less counselors = doubles = crankiness = less fun for trainees
Less fun for trainess = parent calls = upset managers / supervisors= taking it out on over worked counselors
AC Callsign - High Speed
THE_MIGHTY_AQUA
Counselor
Counselor

Post by THE_MIGHTY_AQUA »

*raises hand* me me me me!
AC Callsign - Aqua
Who
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Who »

Aqua, the Base Commanders' punching bag...
AC Callsign - Who?
USSRC Assistant Graphic/Web Designer 2004-06
Counselor 2002-04
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Nerdess

Post by ApolloXI »

I think one of the problems that people have with going to space Camp is that most people who go to camp are nerds. I kind of agree but it is more fun than people think. Plus in today's pop culture being a nerd or a geek is a thing that will hurt your soical life and other things. Another problem is people think that you have to be a good student and in honors type classes. Plus people are afraid of terroist attack or a highjacked plane so they are afraid to send the children. I admit that I am a geek and I know that what ever I do is consierd geeky but going to Space Camp also look good on a resume.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

Who wrote:Less counselors = doubles = crankiness = less fun for trainees
Lol, one mexican wednesday, a counselor threw chips at me because they were really tired.
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nerdess

Post by Vincent »

ApolloXI wrote:I think one of the problems that people have with going to space Camp is that most people who go to camp are nerds.
Hey! That may be true, but we're <spacecamp reference>clean-cut, well motivated, All American nerds!</spacecamp reference> :D

and I don't think that's the problem...not quite, at least.

Though I think that there is a perception by many who have only sorta, kinda heard about Space Camp that it's only for the absolute, brightest geniuses on the planet and that you must have to apply or I could never go or........

So I think there's not really a stigma that it's a bunch of nerds, and that has not been my experience going there all of those years, but I definitely think that SC has failed to get the message out for both kids and parents how accessible it is for anyone with an open mind and the desire to have fun while learning.

Of course, this is only my opinion...
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

it could be publicity, or lack there of too. i remember when i was little seeing commercials for space camp on tv channels like nickelodeon all the time. and i remember commercials for aviation challenge "from the people who brought you spacecamp"
but now, there arent any commercials i know it costs money to advertise a lot and stuff. but i dont know. the only reason why i knew space camp existed was because i remembered seeing the commercials of the kids on the mat and stuff having fun and wanting to go when i was little, so years later i found the website and that led to my two trips.
maybe just more people need to know it exists. and using the media to target young children by placing commercials during breaks of shows that the targeted age watches is probably the best way. other companies do it.
as for the geek/nerd thing..people kinda made fun of me after they found out i went because in almost every class my teachers made me talk about it since i had missed a week of their class like in spanish i had to do a thingy about myh trip with a poster and stuff and some assheads started calling me space cadet to be mean. so i bit them. :twisted:
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Lol, I so totally saw the MAT on tv when I was 9 and told my mom I just had to go there. We ordered a brochure and then I registered. I miss being a little camper. That was fun. Of course it is all fun and games until someone pops the Mars bubble. No joke, some kid was stupid and opened the emergency door thingy and deflated the thing. ooO
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Nerdess

Post by Benji »

ApolloXI wrote:I think one of the problems that people have with going to space Camp is that most people who go to camp are nerds.
I agree, Space Cmap has dorky connotations. Of course, we know that anybody could have fun there if we wanted, but those people don't. We need to get the word out.
Ad astra per aspera.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Okay I am not as dorky as you, Benji. Actually I am not a dork. So, some non dorks go to Space Camp.
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

i am not a dork either. im a ... um.. i dont know. im just unique.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

A lot of people tend to make fun of me for going to camp, but there are some people who went when they were little (aka: red tag kids) who don't make fun of me. They recognize that anyone can have fun at space camp and that it's not just for nerds or dorks. To get back on topic, I think a big part of the reason that camp attendance is down is a combination of both lack of publicity and the price. I realize why the price is so high, but I think it scares a lot of people away.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

yeah good point about the price. it is worth it and yeah i see why it needs to be so high too but not to many parents would be willing to pay that much for five or six days.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

spacecampaddict28 wrote:Okay I am not as dorky as you, Benji. Actually I am not a dork.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Don't get me started, Sara. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wait, who's the one with The Laynyard again? And over 2,000 posts? I thought so.
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the price is definately a big part of the decline i'm sure. But i still run into the whole all people who go to space camp are geeks or super smart. Alot of people see the movie and it portrays the people as super smart kids adnd alot of people think thats the way everyone at camp is. And thats the way Buckbee tried to make camp when he ran it but it has gotten away from that over the years. Now its pretty much anyone who can afford it can go.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador