IMAX

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

IMAX

Post by Benji »

February 18

Coming Soon to a Store Near You: IMAX's 'Space Station'

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- With only 310 shopping days left until Christmas '04 it's not too late to start assembling your gift list, which this year could include a DVD copy of the IMAX film "Space Station."

Warner Home Video has announced plans to release by the end of this year 2D and 3D versions of the popular movie that depicts the early assembly and operation of the International Space Station.

"Space Station has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of people worldwide and we now have the opportunity to add this great film to our impressive library of IMAX titles available on DVD," said Mike Saksa, Senior Vice President of Marketing for Warner Home Video.

Originally released in IMAX theatres in April of 2002 -- and still showing at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex -- "Space Station" is the fifth film produced by the partnership of IMAX Corporation, Lockheed Martin Corporation, NASA and The Smithsonian Institution. Others included "The Dream is Alive," "Blue Planet," "Destiny in Space," and "Mission to Mir." Although not filmed entirely in the IMAX format, the shuttle-related movie "Hail Columbia" also was popular.

-Space.com
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Might I ask how they will get the 3D version onto DVD? Wouldn't then you need dual projection or some sort of advanced technology television? I was not able to see this film in 3D due to the theatre only having single projection, and seeing as my TV only has single projection, the 3D option doesn't sound feasable. Any ideas?

Either way, I'll be out at the store procuring my copy of this DVD as soon as it comes out! It is a great film, worth seeing over and over again...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

3D is awesome. This reminds me (for the Nth time) that i was planning on trying 3D photography. Anyway, this Space.com article explains it: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/r ... 40210.html. It'll probably come with cheap 3D glasses or something.
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

3d IMAX

Post by SpaceCanada »

I am aware of how 3D movies are made, and shown. However, it will be interesting whether or not the 3D movie will need the blue/red lenses or the polarised ones, or neither... hmmm... could be intersting! I think I'll stick to buying myself the 2D version.
- Jennifer -
AC_Shrek
Counselor
Counselor

Post by AC_Shrek »

You dont need a special TV to watch 3d movies. They just make the color stuff show up like they do with any 3d movie. Sad i know this but you could go rent Spy Kids 3D and watch it and find out all about it cause it comes out today. lol

And i'm not sure i want a copy of "Space Station" even though it is my favorite IMAX. I already have the movie memorized. lol
Former and maybe future AC/SA Counselor
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well even though id seen space station before i recently saw it again this time for the first time in 3D. It was a great movie in 2D but it was awesome in 3D i mean it really jumps out at you. And if you havent seen it in 3D yet ill warn you now watch out for the Proton launch.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Will do. But speaking of 3D, my digital 3D photography experiments were a great success!! Check it out.
Ad astra per aspera.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

oh oh space station 3d is awesome...especially when the m and m flies at your face...so cool. I saw it at the US Air and Space Museum. The proton launch just freaked me out though i thought i was going to catch on fire
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I now fully understand how the 3D movies can be brought to TV (I never realised you can still get colour images with red-blue 3D anaglyphs), although I will sadly never be able to watch them. :( I have some weird condition with my eyes that makes watching red-blue 3D things nearly impossible. I only focus on objects with one eye at a time. Weird, I know... so I only ever get the full effect with LCD or polarized 3D movies. (An even weirder explaination...) I guess I'l just have to stick with 2D, which was amazing, and when I go to a theatre playing ISS in 3D I'll have to watch it there!

For any of those who may be interested, I was able to see "Ghosts of the Abyss" on 3D IMAX. It was an amazing film about the Titanic that far exceeded my expectations.

Another 3D IMAX I saw while I was at KSC in 1997 was L3 - about a futuristic space station where a city of people lived. If you can find that somewhere on DVD, it would also be worth the watch.

Enough movie reviews for today. IMAX technology is truly amazing. (and Canadian too!)
- Jennifer -
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

L3 was well done, but I've seen it so many times that I wanted to puke last time. :roll:
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

However, there are many movies one can watch inifinitely over again and never get tired of them or feel ill: APOLLO 13 is a good example. I never knew VHS tapes could acually wear out to the point where the tracking feature cannot fix the picture. Needless to say, I now own the DVD with all the bonus features! :D
- Jennifer -
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

SpaceCanada wrote:However, there are many movies one can watch inifinitely over again and never get tired of them or feel ill: APOLLO 13 is a good example. I never knew VHS tapes could acually wear out to the point where the tracking feature cannot fix the picture. Needless to say, I now own the DVD with all the bonus features! :D
I had the same problem. In the scene were Jim is talking to his son in the bedroom about the Apollo 1 fire my tape acually goes blank for a few seconds and then goes back to the movie. I also bought the DVD.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
AC_Shrek
Counselor
Counselor

Post by AC_Shrek »

benji you now know what it feels like to be a counselor watching the same movie for the 10th time in a month. lol
Former and maybe future AC/SA Counselor
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

i was pretty close to throwing up on straight up.
the counselors kept asking me if i needed to leave.
hehe, gotta love that feeling! :twisted:
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I think the coolest scene in any of the Imax movies is the proton rocket launch. Thats the reason i stay awake during space station. I usually just sleep through the rest, they get old, i do feel bad for the counselors!
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

AC_Shrek wrote:benji you now know what it feels like to be a counselor watching the same movie for the 10th time in a month. lol
im going to have to say that about destiny in space and now space station....i can recite the whole thing...
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I'llnever get sick of the Dream is Alive its still my alltime favorite. Although i have seen it what feekls like 100 times and can quote it. When i first started volunteering at the space center here it was the only movie they showed so i saw it lots.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

seen it...not 100 times though
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

The problem with The Dream is Alive is that there arnt any loud noises that wake you up, like rocket launches. It's all calm and quiet and your already in a warm dark place. But every time i see that movie i make myself stay awake for the part with the spinning umbrella thing where they test the sensory perception stuff. I know that was really descrptive any everything but i think ya'll get the idea. Every time i see that part i'm like ooh whose moving me or the umbrella?
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

The spinning umbrella is in Destiny in space. The Dream is Alive is the oldermovie filmed in 84 it shows the solar max repair, the ldef deployment, one of Sally Rides Missions, Stuff like that,
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008