new book

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

new book

Post by Boomerang »

I was at my schools library today looking therought their small but decent space and aviation section when i found an intresting book. Its called "Space Shuttle The History of the National Space Transportation System The first Hundred missions" by Dennis R jenkins. Now granted ive only read the firsat 2.5 chapters so far but it seems like an excellant book. It traces the space shuttle design work back to the 40s and 50's with some of the early concepts for winged space planes. Some you probably have heard of like the X-15, Dynasoar, and Vonbrauns Ferry Rocket system but then you probably havent head od project silverbird, BoMi, RoBo, and Brass bell. all were designs for winged space planes none of which ever flew but the research on their design all contributed to the space shuttle we know and love. The book also has info on all the designs that were considered for the space shuttle, how the final design was selected, tested, and finnaly flown as well as info on upgrades to the shuttle following the challenger accident and beyond. It covers the first 100 flights. It also has some fantastic pictures even some of the shuttle all of us space campers have grown to love over the years Pathfinder. It shows it during the testing in the 70s all prior to it being painted to look like the shuttle and made to look more realistic. It also has a somewhat more recent pictutre but obviouslty still old from the late 80s early 90s of it at the space and rocket center. Only reason i know its from that era is the F-4 phantom thats now at aviation challenge is still sitting nearby. And some of the best photos in the book show SLC-6 at Vanderberg AFB. For those of you unfamiliar with SLC-6 uop until the challenger accident it was going to serve as a second launch sight for the shuttle for DOD missions starting on STS-62A in mid 1986. However after the challenger accident the idea was scrapped, But the book includes photos of Enterprise at SLC-6 for testing and verrifying the equipment as well as the launch complex itself. Its quite a bit diffrent from KSC. And ive rarely seen pictures of it during its shuttle days. Just thoyught some of you might be intrested in the book if nothing else to see the old pictures of pathfinder. I'll write more when im done with it.[/u]
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
AC_Shrek
Counselor
Counselor

Post by AC_Shrek »

i own that one. Alot of counselors use it.
Former and maybe future AC/SA Counselor
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I have an ancient one thats just called Space Shuttle Its unbeliveably old and most of the pictures and such are still from when they painted the ETs. Its cool though cause it has a lot of information from when it was originally built.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Ah thats nothing have one old NASA publication from 1978 or 79 called aboard the space shuttle. It still talks about how the shuttle will be making 50 flights a year only real pictures in there are from Skylab and one picture of John Young on the mid deck of Columbia during training. Its seriously outdated but is still an intresting read.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

This is a truly wonderful book; worth the read! It is full of stories from astronauts' experiences, some of which are highly humourous. It really gives a sense of how fun being an astronaut really is!

Another wonderful book I recently obtained is "High Calling" by Evelyn Husband, wife of astronaut Rick Husband. The book takes you through their life together and Rick's struggles and triumphs to become a member of the astronaut corps. It is a very inspiring story, and Ms. Husband did a great job writing it. She deserves a lot of credit for being so strong after such a huge loss. This book is definitely worth the read.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I got High Calling from my parents for Valentine's Day and took it with me Sunday & yesterday when we went to visit GA Tech. I finished it last night on the way home. It's excellent. Another book I got for Christmas that I would recommend is Almost Heaven, it's about the early women in the space program and their struggle to gain recognition and permission to participate.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005