Orbital Mechanics

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Orbital Mechanics

Post by Benji »

Okay, we all probably know that if you're in orbit and you fire your rocket(s) in your direction of travel (slow down), you'll lower your orbit (or re-enter). If you fire it in the direction you just came from (speeding up), you'll go to a higher orbit.

But what if you fired your rocket straight up (that is, you're pointing away from Earth) or straight down (spacecraft pointing towards Earth)? Anybody know?
Ad astra per aspera.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

You could always ask it when you get to Space Camp if no one knows. There is a briefing on orbital mechanics.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I'm always the king of that briefing if they ask us how a spacecraft stays in orbit. Most people have no clue. Plus, it's a good 162 days before I go back. I'm not in any rush, but I'd probably forget before then.

I've been thinking, though, and I have an idea about what might happen. Since I don't know that much about orbital mechanics, though, it's probably way off.
Ad astra per aspera.
spacecampaddict28
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by spacecampaddict28 »

I just asked my counselor and he isnt quite sure. He says if you have enough power you could escape orbit without orbiting first. Something like that anyway....i tried
ASA Xmas Camp 05 (last one :()
ASA 12-day July 05
ASA 8-day Xmas Camp 04
ASA 8-day July 04
ASA June 04
ASA March 04
ASA Xmas Camp 03
ASA July 03
ASA March 03
ASA Xmas Camp 02
ASA Xmas Camp 01
SA 00
AC Mach II 99
SA 98
SC 97
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Yeah, see, I'm thinkin' that if you have enough power, you'd escape orbit, but gravity and your current velocity would alter your course a bit. I made a little diagram:

Ad astra per aspera.
Space Camp Brainiac
Camper
Camper

Post by Space Camp Brainiac »

You know, that's a pretty helpful and educated diagram......And plus, it looks nice. About your question, Benji, I have no idea what to answer to that........I have learned something from this topic though....... :mrgreen:
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Yeha, but now I need somebody to tell me if it makes any sense. Maybe Dr. Thirsk can help when he comes.
Ad astra per aspera.
Space Camp Brainiac
Camper
Camper

Post by Space Camp Brainiac »

Yeah, maybe. He'll probably know. He's an astronaut! And also, if you haven't seen my annoucement on the topic "How About a Live Interview With an Astronaut!", go see it! Yay! He's coming!!!!!! :D :D