Columbia

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That part to was also disturbing and disgusting to me at the same time. They were given so many opurtunities and backed down from every one of them. Again eary similarities to challenger and Apollo 1. When you ignore the dangers and dont take advantage of every resource available then things will happen and unfortunately lives are lost. Hopefully starting tommorow i'm going to start reading the return to flight panels initial report but its nearly another 150 pages so it will take some time to read as well.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

In a note to the press released yesturday afternoon, the NASA PAO asked editors to verify that photos of flag-draped caskets being used are in fact those of American casualties and not those of the NASA astronauts who were killed Feb.1, 2003, in the Columbia tragedy.

It seems that the the website The Memory Hole supposedly obtained, through the Freedom of Information Act, 361 photographs showing soldiers' remains arriving home which the Pentagon prevented the public from seeing.

Initial review shows that these images from Dover Air Force Base in Delaware are actually photographs of honors rendered to Columbia's seven astronauts.

These photos were posted on The Memory Hole on April 22 and the site has become subseqently unreachable, supposedly due to the high amount of traffic. I attempted to contact Russ Kick, publisher of The Memory Hole, however he could not be reached. (Also, his voice mail was either disabled or full. Har!)

Links:
Google Cache of The Memory Hole home page
A mirror page of The Memory Hole's story
CNN International Story
New York Times story on IndyStar.com reporting on the release of photos
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

After i read the same story last night i got on the website and the article is correct. Many of the photos are of the columbia remains coming into Dover AFB. The big giveaway is NASA deputy administrator and former astronaut Fred Greggory who is seen in several of the pgotos where the coffins are being carried off the plane. also the one thing i noticed is that in the columbia photos the men carrying the coffins are in Class A uniforms where in the iraq cassualty ones they seem tobe wearing BDU's.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador