Orion EFT-1

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Orion EFT-1

Post by Hotdog »

Yesterday I returned from my trip to Florida to see the Orion EFT-1 launch and boy, was it an experience.

It was my first time covering a launch as a member of the press. I got to watch the launch from the NASA Causeway, so I had a great view, as you can tell by the above photo. I also got to hang out at the NASA Press Site. There were several astronauts in attendance, as well as many Space Camp Alumni, including AAB board members John Ramsey, Ben Chandler and Whitney Zatzkin. John and Ben gave a nice half-hour presentation about Space Camp at the pre-launch dinner to about 100 space tweeps and NASA social media enthusiasts. I got to see Atlantis (again) and also picked up a TON of free Orion swag :D The best part might have been all of the wonderful people I met who share the same passion about spaceflight.

Here is the news article I wrote for Sprocketeers.

http://www.sprocketeers.org/2014/12/08/ ... rth-orbit/
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Orion EFT-1

Post by p51 »

Lucky guy. Steve, PK and myself got to see the stack being assembled from where you saw it liftoff, in October...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Orion EFT-1

Post by majtom7 »

We had a similar view but without the socialization and free swag. It closed the circle for us as we saw the first two cores come in on the Mariner when we toured CCAFS.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino