"Someone named Al Bean on the phone for you...?"

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

"Someone named Al Bean on the phone for you...?"

Post by p51 »

No kidding, I got a call today from the fourth man to walk on the Moon! You can imagine the look on my face when my wife held the phone asking if I wanted to talk to Al Bean... 8O
I'd had an idea for a fake history book, where one astronaut was accidently picked for astronaut training in the second selection for the scientist-astronauts, and he was personally responsible for every goofup in the program (after the Apollo 1 fire, of course as that'd just be morbid). But mulling it over, it dawned on me that it might not be well received by those thinking it was disrespectful. So, I posed this question on the Collect Space forum: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004646.html
Someone e-mailed me Al Bean's (Apollo 12) address, saying he was better than many of the moonwalkers at giving opinions on some things and had a great sense of humor. So, I wrote him with a few paragraphs on what I had in mind. I also sent some scans of some of my artwork, just for the heck of it, as he's an accomplished artist and I thought he might like to see some of my own aviation-related work. I expected I'd get a short e-mail, at best. Getting a call from him, well, that came as quite the shock.
It was a short but amazing call. he liked the logo design I used on the letterhead: http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/Patch1.jpg as well as the drawings I sent, the MIG 29 one especially: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/ ... IGscan.jpg He also said that he didn't see any problem with my book concept at all, didn't consider it disrespectful and thought it'd actually make for a fine movie or TV project. I told him I doubted I'd be that ambitious with it but would keep that in the back of my mind.
I really don't impress easily, but I wasn't expecting this call and was blown away by it. He asked me how old I was, citing that he was in his 80s and that whatever ideas I have now, to run with them and not just sit on them because you start forgottening details on stuff when you get older. He said his own artwork was now getting tough to recall details on the Moon walks, much more so than when he started painting space scenes.
Anyway, that was the most amazing call I think I've ever gotten...
Attachments
1117132102-1.jpg
1117132102-1.jpg (203.92 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: "Someone named Al Bean on the phone for you...?"

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, that's pretty impressive! I love the phone photo. Ha! That's really a treasured moment for a space fan, to have an astronaut contact you to discuss one of your ideas. So, what's going to happen to those book plans now? Reach for the stars, surely!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:So, what's going to happen to those book plans now?
I'm currently working on drawings/cartoons for another book project right now until next month. I'm also working on several hobby-related projects and working mandatory overtime at my day job every week, so I'm not exactly a man with a lot of free time.
Frankly, this was something I was just mulling over, I wanted a real astronaut's input to see if it was even worth my while to go any further than thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."
But after this phone call, I feel compelled to make this happen! I actually wrote a (non-psace-related) novel a couple of years ago and I've been putting off editing that for submission to publishers. Now, it's going to get pushed back even further until I at least have a rough draft. My goal now is to have a rough version I mail to the man to look over. I'd like him to know I did something with this idea, as much as he seemed to like it.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Your fake history book idea seems like a pretty cool idea to me. I think it would work pretty well as a novel, too, if you wanted to go that route. Can't wait to see what becomes of it either way!
Ad astra per aspera.