Spacecraft Films - awesome HD space DVDs!

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Spacecraft Films - awesome HD space DVDs!

Post by Hotdog »

I just stumbled across this website:

http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/

Looks like there's some pretty good stuff on there! The problem I have with most space documentaries is they're usually pretty general and dumbed-down. These look more encompassing and better suited for the true space buff. Anyone here happen to own any of these? I'm thinking of ordering either the X-15 or Air Force X-20 Dynasoar vids.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Spacecraft Films - awesome HD space DVDs!

Post by Boomerang »

I have the Apollo 1 and X-20/Dynasoar DVDS from them. I will say these are not your history channel narrated documentaries. I have only seen these 2 and one other and for the most part they are pretty raw but rarely seen footage. they have been cleaned up so they are high quality video but they are really for the hasrd core type whjo likes watching the footasge without all the commentary. The Apollo 1 DVD has one section that is just the audio from the test for example it also included video of some other previous tests, the funerals, and crew photos in training. The X-20 video has footage of training for the MOL and Dynasoar programs, including some fascinating vommit comet practice runs with transfering from the gemini b into the MOL as well as some public videos released about the program etc. I know many of the mission videos include all the video footage taken on the lunar surface on a specific mission. I have not seen any except the two i have and one on the Saturn Rockets which again was mainly alot of launch footage from every imaginable camera angle. If you like to see the original footage with some info provided as to what your looking at but not constant documentary commentary these are excellant DVD's.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I was hoping there would be at least some NASA PAO type commentary going along with them. Something more technical than the generic History Channel stuff like you said. But just having the high quality complete footage is still cool.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

As i said i have obnly seen a couple of them. Some like with the Dynasoar were your typical government videos you know your tax money at work with a narrator talking about some of the stuff but there is a lot of raw footage as well. I don't know if the mission ones have news coverage included or how they are i can only speak for the ones i have seen. I find the footage on the couple i have fascinating. Remember a great deal of the X-20 and MOL were classified at one point so there would only be so much footage oyut there. Apollo 1 has no known film of the accident but listening to the audio which does have some pop up information noting certain events as well you realize that it would have taken a miracel to get that capsule safely off the ground any time soon. The Saturn Video i saw was mainly various camera angles including some on the vehicles themselves. Maybe someone else has seen some of the mission ones and can talk about them more.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

There are a lot of posts and threads about the products by these folks here, just search under "spacecraft films" and you'll read plenty: http://www.collectspace.com/cgi-bin/for ... LastLogin=
I got a DVD a while back of shuttle takeoffs and one thing I noticed was after a while, it starts to blur together. I've had more enjoyment watching launches on you tube because after some time I think I wouldn't watch a DVD of launches, no matter how well done...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!