Skylab Exhibit in the Davidson Center

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Skylab Exhibit in the Davidson Center

Post by Hotdog »

I have returned from my overnight trip to Sprocket and as promised I am sharing my photos of the "new" Skylab exhibit. I did not attend the black tie gala last night with the astronauts (I love Skylab, but $150 + tux rental was NOT going to happen). So the pics I have are just what I took today strolling around the premises during normal public operation.

Here is a link to view the photo album: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/ ... ab%202013/

Overall, I was happy with the restoration of the exhibit. My only disappointment was not having the stairs that take you up into the top portion of the lab. This was a cool feature of the original exhibit. Instead, you have to settle for peering up through the "floor".

It was a beautiful day in Huntsville today and I got some great shots in the rocket park. I included those at the end of the album.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/ ... ab%202013/

This has been Hotdog reporting for Hab1.com. Over and out. 8)
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Skylab Exhibit in the Davidson Center

Post by Steve »

Great pictures Hotdog. I always enjoyed Sky Lab, thinking back when it went up & crews there. I bet it was a cold day outside there, again thanks for the pictures!! Looking forward to go down & see it!! :lol:
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Thank you for the photos. They did a pretty good job with the restoration - a big difference from when I last saw it.

The Skylab was a pretty big achievement in space exploration history, and one often overlooked and forgotten. I have read astronauts' stories about Skylab and how they could get 'stuck' in the middle of the module because it was so big. If they were caught motionless in the centre of the module they were too far from anything to touch it. Anyway, it's a great monument to have at the USSRC and I'm happy to see it on display again.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Thank you Steve. It was a cold day by Huntsville standards, but so beautiful that I almost didn't notice the cold. The perfect blue sky made me not care one bit. I can remember many hot summer days running around the rocket park while at Space Camp where I wished for cooler temps. And I wouldn't trade those hot days for a [darn] thing.

Come on down and visit Skylab when you can. It is worth the trip. Go on a weekday when there are less people around so you can have the exhibit to yourself like I did. You can't climb upstairs like before, but you can at least peer through the floor.

It is a facinating piece of equipment, a great Huntsville artifact, that we are glad to have back in its rightful place. Thank you, Vincent for featuring it on the home page and looking forward to seeing how they finish the exhibit.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner