Skylab trainer moved into Davidson Center

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Skylab trainer moved into Davidson Center

Post by p51 »

The Skylab trainer is now inside with the Saturn V at Huntsville. I had no idea this still existed (and this isn't the full sixed mockup out back near the Space Shot ride). It's great to know that a big (but often overlooked) part of NASA history has been preserved. More on it here (follow it to the end for the recent photos: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41 ... 00089.html
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Skylab trainer moved into Davidson Center

Post by Hotdog »

Yes. This is the mockup that sat in the main museum for decades before they moved it out to make room for the traveling exhibits. It was allowed to sit outside in the boneyard for 8 or 10 years and deteriorated quite a bit. Glad to have this piece restored and back in its rightful place. I hope they open it up again so you can go inside it like before. I guess I'll find out next week when I go for the official ceremony. I'll take some pics and post them if anyone's interested.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hotdog wrote:I'll take some pics and post them if anyone's interested.
Do you even have to make this statement? Of course we want to hear about it and see photos. :)

I am happy that this has returned to life as well. It was sad to see it leave the museum and then watch it degrade outdoors. I think I'm going to have to add a few days to our trip in October just to explore the museum and see all the changes that have been made in the past 9 years.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Jennifer, has it been 9 years since you were last on the premises? There have been so many changes your head will spin. Let me know when you are coming to visit in October. Always nice to meet fellow Hab1-ers. And yes I will share my pictures of Skylab on here when I return next week.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hotdog wrote:Jennifer, has it been 9 years since you were last on the premises?
It has been nine years since I was *officially* at camp. I was there for one day of an alumni weekend in August 2007, when the Davidson Centre was under construction, some ISS modules were in the building and a few more were under Pathfinder waiting to be moved in. It will be exciting to see everything, especially since it will be my husband's first time there.

And now we return you to things relating to the original topic... ;)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Hotdog wrote:Yes. This is the mockup that sat in the main museum for decades before they moved it out to make room for the traveling exhibits.
Actually, this mockup was out in the 'bone yard' longer than that. I've been here nine years and all that was on the main museum floor (that is currently used for traveling exhibits) was the Mir mock up. Skylab was already outside in January 2004. Fundraising to refurb and bring it back inside started as soon as the Saturn V was moved into the Davidson Center. It's good to see it where it belongs.
Living the dream