The GREATEST book about space suits you will ever see!

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

The GREATEST book about space suits you will ever see!

Post by Hotdog »

Free NASA e-book about the evolution of the American space suit. This is a must-have!!!

Dress For Altitude
http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/dres ... etail.html
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

WOW, great find!! I have quite a bit of pressure suit and space suit information from the 8-day adult alumni camp but this is VERY detailed and comprehensive. Love it. Thanks for sharing the link.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: The GREATEST book about space suits you will ever see!

Post by p51 »

I had the chance to buy a copy of this the other day. I'm big into aviation equipment and have a pretty substantial collection of it (mostly WW2 era). I found this was mostly a book about the development of pressure suits, not space suits as such, and it goes back to the pre-WW2 era. If you're a general collector and like the entire history, it's a good book. But it doesn't get into the 'going into space' era quickly nor does it have a lot of technical info.
The PDF is free, though, but I'd really suggest "U. S. Spacesuits" by Kenneth S. Thomas and Harold J. McMann, ISBN-10: 144199565X. This really is the best 'field guide' out there on the subject and it covers any space or pressure suit the US ever made, into the tail end of the shuttle era...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: The GREATEST book about space suits you will ever see!

Post by Hotdog »

Yeah I think this e-book was more about telling the story of how the US space suit came into being, especially in the early days. I'm sure there are more definitive accounts of the modern suits out there for those who want to know more about the current and upcoming space suit technology. I find the early "evolutionary" stuff fascinating and I stumbled across this while researching the pressure suits used in the X-15 program.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner