Al Bean art

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Al Bean art

Post by Mercergl »

I was at the Air and Space Museum in DC today and an exhibit of Al Bean's art opened to coincide with the Apollo 11 anniversary (I assume) and Bean was there signing books etc. I would have bought something to have signed but I didn't have time to wait in line for 90 minutes (but half of them will probably be on eBay tomorrow so if I really want to get my hands on something I can). I did however, get to see him and his amazing paintings. Many of his paintings are on aircraft plywood which looks very neat with the impressionistic style he uses. Some even had textured bootprints which looks really cool. I especially liked one that was a "mirror" of the famous photo of Buzz Aldren taken by Neil Armstrong. This one showed Neil with Buzz reflected in the helment visor. Anyway, the collection is nice and if anyone on here has the oppurtunity to see it I would recomend it. A great couple of images from the Apollo missions, some real, some fantasy.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Update type thing: he is featured in an article in the most recent Air & Space.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

I have a signed numbered print of Al Bean's "Heavenly Reflections" painting hanging in my office. I enjoy the little additions that he puts in his artwork. He covers his plywood with plaster and while the plaster is setting he uses things like his moon boot and rock hammer to make imprints in the soft plaster. Then after the plaster dries he paints on it.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08