KONRAD Dannenberg Von Braun Team member dies at age 96

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

KONRAD Dannenberg Von Braun Team member dies at age 96

Post by Boomerang »

Today is a sad day we have lost another original rocket team member. Konrad Dannenberg passed away yesterday morning at age 96. Konrad was a long time space camp lecturer and could be seen around the space and rocket center fairly regularly even in recent years. I also count he and his wife Jackie as friends and he will be greatly missed.

Konrad was one of the original members of the operation paper clip team who came to this country with VonBraun. I had the pleasure and the honor of havin f dinner with him this past July and had met him several times before. Even at age 96 he was still very energetic at times. I remember in the summer of 07 when they moved the first stage of the Saturn V it was like a monsoon that afternoon but Konrad was still out there to watch. He was always there for the International Space Camp weeks and lectured at the camp into the early 90's.

The hab 1 home page has more links to articles about this and about the memorial service. I'm still shocked and saddened and at the moment at a loss for words.
http://usatoday.com/tech/graphics/rocketeers/flash.htm
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Yes I can recall having a lecture or two from Mr. Dannenberg when I was at camp in the early '90s. It was a very big deal having a living member of Von Braun's team there sharing his knowledge and stories with us. It was as if the rockets themselves could talk, listening to him describe the work on the V-2s, Redstones and Saturns. We were really blessed to have him involved with the Space Camp program for so many years. Konrad did what VonBraun would have done had he lived to see his dream of Space Camp come into being.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

When he lectured my AC '90 class I immediately knew he was the 'go to guy" if you had questions about the early days.

Auf Wiedersein, Herr Dannenburg and Thank you.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
EVA_Bass_Guitar5
Counselor
Counselor

Post by EVA_Bass_Guitar5 »

Konrad gave me my first Propulsion and Orbital Mechanics Lecture when I was a camper in 1992. It was a very pivotal experience for me as it helped inspire me to pick my career path. When I moved to Huntsville a few years later to study Aerospace Engineering at UAH, I ended up running into him and his wife Jackie over and over again and became good friends with them. I feel quite lucky to have been able to get to know him better over the years and many other surviving Germans and their families and friends. The day after his memorial service, I found my 1992 Space Academy logbook and as I was looking through it, I found my lecture notes from that day I first got to soak in knowledge from Mr. Dannenberg.

Thabks to his influence as a space educator, I have gone on to talk to kids about space and propulsion on a regular basis. I want to pay it forward, just like it was done for me.

Konrad, you are now among the stars where you had always wanted to be. Thanks for being a good teacher and friend.
"Playing the low end from Low Earth Orbit for over a decade!"

SA Level I - Aug 1990 - UTC Team
SA Level II - 6/27 to 7/4/1992 - Johnson Team
Space Camp Action Tour/AstroTrek Counselor
1996-1997
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

It was great to see him last year at the Apollo Reunion and talking shop with Neil Degrasse Tyson. I know he will be missed this year at the reunion.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia