Want to be an astronaut?

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Want to be an astronaut?

Post by JennieM »

Ok, who's with me?! With all our Space Camp experience, I think that should count for something!!! :lol:

The Hunt Begins
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

With 91 astronauts and a shuttle about to be retired, why are they hiring more? Orion seems too far away/not concrete enough to require a more astronauts in the next few years. I guess NASA knows what they need.
Ad astra per aspera.
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

Ha... I saw this article when it first came out too and thought the same thing! I say we're all qualified enough :)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Unfortunately, my health problems would keep me grounded anyway. I know that Space Camp is as close as I'll ever get.

That's why I'm so thankful that it's here! :D
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Benji wrote:With 91 astronauts and a shuttle about to be retired, why are they hiring more? Orion seems too far away/not concrete enough to require a more astronauts in the next few years. I guess NASA knows what they need.
You would think so but NASA has made astronaut selections before when programs were still years off. Remember the last few astronautr selections of the apollo program era provided many iof the early shuttle flight crew members. Many of these astronauts Bob Crippen for example didnt fly till the shuttle program. And these selectios were made when cutbacks were well in the works. And now an article on space.com is saying a congressman is proposing delaying the shuttle retirement till 2015 flying only 2 flights a year presumably servicing the ISS till Orion is online.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador