A Beautiful Launch

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

A Beautiful Launch

Post by Boomerang »

I just came from the space camp cafeteria where i watched the launch of STS-118. Another beautiful launch and i was surrounded by enthusiastic cheering trainees who seemed to enjoy everything about it. I ca'nt think of a better way to see a launch without actually being there.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

From what I saw it looked great my NASA TV connection was going in and out.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

It WAS beautiful. I'll host my pics tomorrow and link it for ya. They never get old!
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

I didn't have that great of a connection either - kinda choppy and shaky - but from what I could see it was an absolutely beautiful launch. And, although I think all astronauts are incredible people for their knowledge, depth, and courage, I think Barbara Morgan is especially incredible. She caught "The Dream," and in many ways after her post-Challenger "obligation" was over, she could have easily left the space program. But she didn't, and continued it with a professional vengence. And today she flies - not as a Teacher-in-Space, but as a full astronaut who is also an educator. I think she is pretty-darn awesome!
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
TheDotster
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TheDotster »

I was sitting with Boomerang and Jeramy in the Space Camp cafeteria when the shuttle launched. Everyone was really excited and Jeramy was announcing the entire time line just like it's done in the missions haha. When the ET seperated Elmo and one of the other counselors starting running and and dancing around the cafeteria...definantely the best shuttle launch I've ever seen!
CA Mach II - 00 Cinderella - Falcons(Busta)
CA Mach II - 01 Pancake - Intruders(Sock Em Boppers)
Mach III - 02 Rugrat - Eagles(Hoops)
Mach III - 03 Thunder/Pyro - Pukin Dogs(Woody)
Mach III - 04 Swoop/Pipes - Pukin' Dogs(Woody/Toto)
Alumni Camp 07
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

It was beautiful!!

I took a few photos. I was in so much awe I nearly forgot about my cameras. No worries, I got some good ones and I will post them once I have them developed and scanned in.

Viewing a launch in person is very different from watching it on TV. You can actually FEEL the launch and it rumbles through your whole body. The only drawback is the crowd noise drowning out the NASA TV announcements they have broadcast over the speakers. However, I can live with that considering all else.

I hope everyone got to see the launch, whether in person or on TV. The weather was perfect, the skies were clear, and the launch was flawless. Go Endeavour! Go STS-118, Dr. Williams, and Mrs. Morgan! (And the other crew members too...)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I saw the launch while I was at the gym. Unfortunately, my Ipod doesn't have an FM tuner and I had neglected to bring my little radio, so I had to watch it without sound. Although I did get subtitles for about two minutes on either side of the launch when whichever broadcast network was on the left TV was following the launch. It was pretty cool that three out of the four TVs in the cardio area were showing the launch (ESPN didn't cover it. No suprise there.) But, not having sound wasn't a big deal. I'm familiar enough with the launch timeline to know what happens and when (as I'm sure all of us are).
I know I was the only one on the treadmills at the time who had a big, goofy grin on her face. It's been a while since I've seen a launch broadcast live and it certainly was beautiful.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

They uploaded in reverse order. Sorry!

My STS-118 Photos

password: columbia

case sensitive. Enjoy!
-Sarah

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

SpaceCanada wrote:It was beautiful!!

I took a few photos.
One of the recommendations I make to first time launch watchers is to NOT take pictures, or at least just take one or two and then get your eye out of the viewfinder. A launch really should be experienced "full screen".

Interestingly, when I went to see the total solar eclipse last year, they made the same recommendation, and were just as correct. I spent a couple of minutes taking pictures, and a couple of minutes just looking.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper

rkolker wrote:
SpaceCanada wrote:It was beautiful!!

I took a few photos.
One of the recommendations I make to first time launch watchers is to NOT take pictures, or at least just take one or two and then get your eye out of the viewfinder. A launch really should be experienced "full screen".

Interestingly, when I went to see the total solar eclipse last year, they made the same recommendation, and were just as correct. I spent a couple of minutes taking pictures, and a couple of minutes just looking.
This was my fourth, so I had no problem snapping away. Of course, I fired off a few shots....watched....fired a few more.....watched. It never gets old.

The couple standing next to me, it was their first, and she didn't bring a camera for that reason. I gave her my photobucket hosting so she would have pics of the launch. Her daughter was complaining that she was going and wasn't taking the camera. Told her this would help! as I was standing right next to her...so she got the best of both LOL
-Sarah

rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

TheDotster wrote:Jeramy was announcing the entire time line just like it's done in the missions
So I'm not the only one! :) From T-9:00 to orbit I find myself making all the left seat procedure calls.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

i was at my dads house having dinner and we watched it on Fox News. My step mom was confused when my father and I ran out of the kitchen holding our plates so we can stand and watch the launch and eat all at the same time. :) Gorgeous launch! :)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

The haze was think up here in Jacksonville, but I was able to spot the smoke trail going up. AWESOME!!!!! :D
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

With no cable TV and a 56K modem, I only got to see the 90 seconds that they aired on CBS. I switched channels to NBC, who showed about another 60 seconds. At least I got to see the launch though. It was great! I hope to get to see a launch in person one day!
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Not quite so beautiful (117 really was though)...as noted here, Endeavor's starboard wing did get hit by a piece of something during ascent...
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

They showed it in HDTV at work. It was almost as good as being there. Not quite though. I should be at the causeway in December though. Already planning that trip with a few friends.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I got some nice photographs using a cable release and a tripod so I just clicked away whilst watching the launch with my own eyes, not through the viewfinder. (The cable release was the best $10 I spent before I left.) I was in so much awe I forgot about my camera for a while and then picked up the digital and took a few photos quickly before the shuttle was out of sight. You can actually see the ET sandwiched between the SRBs and Endeavour riding beside them! Wow... I will post photos later this week.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017