Shuttle's Name Misspelled On NASA Launch Pad Sign

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Shuttle's Name Misspelled On NASA Launch Pad Sign

Post by JennieM »

Gotta love NASA some days. :wink: Check out how they originally had spelled the shuttle's name. They have since corrected it.

http://www.local6.com/technology/13675075/detail.html
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

i work for a printing & sign company, and every now and then a misspelling will get by our proofing and the job will reach the customer with the mistake un-noticed. it can be embarrassing for both the customer and us!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Princess
Camper
Camper

Post by Princess »

I can't talk my spelling is so bad that I type words I am not sure of in Microsoft Word to check my spelling before i post
ASA Level I 1988
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 Challenger-Cato, Challumbia-Station Commander "Natasha"
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

I guess I just started at the side of that simulator for so long it's ingrained in my head.
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

I also work in publishing, and several years ago I came across the EXACT SAME ERROR, although in a soon-to-be-published book. When I told the publisher that the orbiter Endeavour used the Brittish spelling, they said they didn't want to send the page back for correction at that point and that Americans wouldn't know that it was spelled wrong. Unfortunately, except for those of us who are really into space, they were probably correct in that assumption.

Judy Resnik's name initially was misspelled on a plaque on a memorial in Titusville. I think that it was corrected later. But it really shows the need for two sets of eyes for things in a public forum.
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

You see, if the United States used proper English like the rest of the world (colour, flavour, honour, neighbour...) this wouldn't be a problem. ;)

Spelling/grammar mistakes happen. Spell check cannot catch them all. I am glad they corrected the sign.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

SpaceCanada wrote:You see, if the United States used proper English like the rest of the world (colour, flavour, honour, neighbour...) this wouldn't be a problem. ;)

Spelling/grammar mistakes happen. Spell check cannot catch them all. I am glad they corrected the sign.
I think Americans would go metric before changing their spellings. LOL :wink:
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

Agghhhhh! As a science person, please don't even get me started on Americans and their refusal to embrace the metric system...!

(Athough - Canadians and Brittons - Just what IS that extra "u" doing in there, anyway??? ) 8)
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hey you'd be proud of me! This summer we did everything metric. That's pretty good for me being really a lay person and not a science type-- even though I am really interested in science.

I don't think you need the "u". Canadians, get tough! Do away with your "u" in color, flavor, etc!!!

Right now I am working on "thru". I see no need to spell this "through". It's just nuts.

--des
empress wrote:Agghhhhh! As a science person, please don't even get me started on Americans and their refusal to embrace the metric system...!

(Athough - Canadians and Brittons - Just what IS that extra "u" doing in there, anyway??? ) 8)
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

empress wrote:Agghhhhh! As a science person, please don't even get me started on Americans and their refusal to embrace the metric system...!

I'm right there with you. I use metric everyday in the lab. It's so much easier!
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993