Ashes into Space

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Ashes into Space

Post by Conan »

I have often thought it would be cool, when I die, to have my ashes shot into space. Recently some companies have begun to offer this service. They only use a small portion of a person's ashes and they don't really go into orbit. I read about the ashes of Wally Schirra and James Doohan, among others, being shot up on a rocket that did not even reach space and then crashed back to earth. My question to the forum is this: Do you think it would be worth it for such an abbreviated trip or would I be as well off letting my brother put my ashes into a model rocket to shoot off as he suggested!!
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

I'm going to view this as a serious question. I, too, was disappointed to find out the reality of getting your ashes shot into space, especially in the case described above.

This has to be totally your decision. If I had those two choices, I would have my sibling use the model rocket! However, I know that if she had to do it, it would really bother my sister to scoop my cremated ashes into a Estes payload, so I don't think I could ask her. You might, however, consider a third choice - have your ashes (or some of them) scattered in a place that means a lot to you space-wise. Or, leave it as your wishes that your surviving family check into spaceflight at the time - perhaps additional options will be available SO MANY YEARS into the future!

I have left it pretty-much up to the survivors as to what to do with me. I have told my sister that she CANNOT compress me in my old car (she says she's going to crush it and use it as a lawn ornament...) to save on a 2-for-1 deal! In reality, I have only 3 "last" wishes - have my favorite antique dish nearby to remind people of me, play "Take It to the Limit" by The Eagles, and wheel me in 10 minutes late so that I really CAN be 10 minutes late to my own funeral! Other than that, she's on her own.

Very interesting question!
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

To quote CDR Riker "I plan to live forever."

By the time any of us have to worry about this (I hope) there will be lots more choices as companies like SpaceX get their vehicles up and running.

In fact, you could probably send a small vial of ashes to orbit right now if Bigelow repeats its "send your stuff to space" for their next test module.

If you're not tied to rockets, you could put some ashes in a Pongsat (JP Aerospace) which would take it to 100,000 feet which is up in black sky country.

http://rkolker.com/gallery/main.php?g2_ ... alNumber=2
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985