So long as we're on the topic of space simulations....

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

So long as we're on the topic of space simulations....

Post by Hotdog »

Before there was Orbiter, there was Shuttle.

http://www.abandonia.com/games/547/download/Shuttle

Along with BARIS, I still have this game as well! This was a challenging sim that included complete and 100% functional shuttle flight deck controls and multiple camera angles in and around the orbiter throughout the mission. You start out landing the Enterprise and go all the way to repairing the Hubble. Each mission begins with the rollout to the pad, which can make for some very very long sim times (thank goodness there is a Fast Forward feature for the dull parts of the missions).

More info & game download:

http://www.xjehl.com/nasa/shuttle_usa.htm
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: So long as we're on the topic of space simulations....

Post by Richasi »

Hotdog wrote:Before there was Orbiter, there was Shuttle.
http://www.xjehl.com/nasa/shuttle_usa.htm
Hey, that's cool! Thanks for sharing!

Okay, so who has a copy of that crapy Atari 2600 "Space Shuttle" cartridge? :)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

As long as we are on old simulations. I got Precision Approach to work on an aged Windows 95 box. But it doesn't have a game port, so no joystick. My nephew tried to put another audio card in with a port but it does wierd stuff. So I pulled it. Since I don't know enough DOS to fix it, I get tons of error messages before it starts up but it works fine, such as it is.)

I've heard that versions of DOS Box (and the PA works better with DOS box) will work with anything including Mac and Lynx. That way I could run it on my newer Mac and could get a USB joystick (might have one actually). Anyway, I downloaded DOS Box but can't make heads or tails of it. Anyone know of a good site for help with it. It is very obviously not just a plug play thing, particularly on the Mac.

BTW, PA is actually pretty cool. Can do auto pilot landings or you can control everything, pitch only, or roll only. You can also turn off on and on the auto pilot. I have not actually succeeded in landing the Shuttle though, except with auto pilot. I guess that answers the question "did I really land the shuttle (at SC)?" (The graphics are something like 8 colors or something! LOL But they are accurate in that they really do look like the HUD on the Shuttle.)

--des
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

if it has a serial port, you can buy a cheap little adapter to make that USB joystick plug into that port
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Oh really. I couldn't find such a thing. I called I don't know several places-- didn't know what I was even talking about. Even went online. Of course I didn't exactly know what to call it. I was sure that there was such a thing/ would be such a thing.

But yes, it has a serial port.

Even so, if anybody does know about DOS Box-- I am still interested.
It would run the sim smooth. It runs too fast, so the screen kind of jumps around. This computer is actually probably fast enough to Windows 2000, but just was never upgraded.

--des

Hotdog wrote:if it has a serial port, you can buy a cheap little adapter to make that USB joystick plug into that port
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Here's one on Amazon for $18.

I got mine at Radio Shack. I don't think I paid that much for it though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... B0000C120V
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Radio Shack!! I'll say this for them (I might not say much else), but if you want to connect something with something else... I have an older tv and a satelllite tv. So I wanted to connect my VCR/DVD drive to my tv so I wouldn't have to disconnect the satelllite box every time. Well they had the box.

Thanks for the suggestions.
And if anyone does know about DOS Box (maybe this just isn't the place...)

--des
Hotdog wrote:Here's one on Amazon for $18.

I got mine at Radio Shack. I don't think I paid that much for it though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... B0000C120V