STS-118

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

STS-118

Post by SpaceCanada »

A little birdie (AKA the Canadian Space Agency) e-mailed me today with an uptaded STS-118 launch date of 07 August 2007.

NASA doesn't even have it on their website yet...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I wonder why canada knows but not the US...? :wink:
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

It appears they just revised it. From NASA.gov:

Launch Target:
Aug. 9, 2007

Orbiter:
Endeavour

Mission Number:
STS-118
(119th space shuttle flight)

Launch Window:
10 minutes

Launch Pad:
39A

Mission Duration:
11 days

Landing Site:
KSC

Inclination/Altitude:
51.6 degrees/122 nautical miles

Primary Payload:
22nd station flight (13A.1), S5 Truss
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

That still has the old date of 09 August. The Canadian Space Agency's STS-118 Mission Information Line says they have moved the launch up to 07 August, and they sent notices out to all the invited guests, even if the CSA hasn't updated their website either.

The mystery continues... wait for the next shuttle status report, they should have it updated then.
- Jennifer -
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Sounds like a plan to me! :)
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

A new Space Shuttle Status Report was issued this weekend. It still has 09 August for the launch date. I am very perplexed... either way, I will be there.
- Jennifer -
Laura
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Laura »

NASA finally released the new date of August 7 to the public. Nice going with the insider information from Canada!
Space Academy, Boeing - 1997
Space Academy, Coca Cola - 1998
Advanced Space Academy, Von Braun - 1999
Advanced Space Academy, Shepard - 2000
Adult Space Camp - 2005
Adult Space Camp - 2006
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Laura wrote:NASA finally released the new date of August 7 to the public. Nice going with the insider information from Canada!
I finally heard the news on the weekend. They said it's to give them more opportunities during the work week.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Took them long enough! ;-)

Nice to know I am not going crazy...
- Jennifer -
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Launch time 7:05:00 pm EST with a 10 minute window.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

So... NASA sent me something by FedEx yesterday but I wasn't home to receive it, so they are re-sending it to my work today. I wonder what it is. It is likely related to STS-118. But what? Something that couldn't be sent by conventional post? Hmm... Hurry up FedEx guy!
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The FedEx guy arrived a few moments ago with my envelope. Inside was a launch activity schedule and a letter for me to confirm my attendance to the launch.

I am a bit google-eyed that they expect me to wear LONG PANTS (no skirts, shorts, dresses, or capris allowed) in FLORIDA!! You have got to be kidding me... but I will comply, even if I die of heat stroke. I still don't believe it... PANTS! I don't even wear long pants at home in summer, ever! Shoes I can handle (sandals prohibited) but wow... 8O I guess I need to buy some 'summer' pants before I go.

Otherwise, on the 6th we have a tour of KSC (OPF, VAB, Launch Pad 39A!!!, and SSPF) and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (a bunch of launch pads and the museum). Later there is a night viewing of the shuttle. On the 7th we go to the Saturn V Center and then to the Banana Creek Viewing Site to see the launch.
- Jennifer -
Laura
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Laura »

Hi Jennifer,

The pants are reasonable for the tours you will be given. Shorts are a little too casual (although I'm surprised they aren't allowing capris), wearing a skirt or dress would be an issue since you're climbing open stairs (such as the launch pad and in the OPF if they allow you), and open-toes shoes are forbidden in high bays. You didn't mention it, but high-heals are also forbidden in the OPF (I didn't know this rule and had to wear booties).

If you were simply viewing a launch, casual summer-wear would be fine. However, the tours are driving your dress code up.

I'll be down there for the launch, although I'm not yet sure where I'm seeing it from. Banana Creek is a good viewing area. You should have a great time.

Have fun!
Adult Space Camp - 2005
Adult Space Camp - 2006
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

One thing to remember about KSC, it is a game preserve and there's lots of game - from gators to wild hogs to lots of snakes and lizards. I'd guess that's why the long pants and close toed shoes mandate.

The Banana Creek viewing site is a nice place to watch from. One thing to watch for - the shock wave rippling toward you on the water before the sound arrives.

Most of the restaurants I really liked have closed - but the Tiki Bar (I forget it's name) at the end of Port Canaveral has good fish, a view overlooking the water, and live music.

There's a dive on Route 3 just south of KSC called "Shuttles" with good burgers, and it's next to the best T-Shirt store around. Further south on Route 3 is Policiccio's Citrus. Get some fresh squeezed orange or grapefruit juice there. There's nothing like it.

Here's where I point out where I'm standing in the photo I use. That was a special day.:D

If I think of anything else, I'll add it on.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Laura
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Laura »

rkolker wrote:One thing to remember about KSC, it is a game preserve and there's lots of game - from gators to wild hogs to lots of snakes and lizards. I'd guess that's why the long pants and close toed shoes mandate.
Nope. The wildlife stays away from people (other than gators on the side of the road). You have to remember that part of KSC is open to the public, which means anything goes as far as dress. I've been to KSC loads of times wearing shorts and open-toes shoes. Even in the non-public areas, it's not a requirement. I've even seen employees in more casual wear than they're requiring for Jennifer.

Those are some good food suggestions. You're making me hungry. ;)
Adult Space Camp - 2005
Adult Space Camp - 2006
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

Laura wrote: Those are some good food suggestions. You're making me hungry. ;)
Well, I used to love Schoolies for shrimp when it was above the bait shop in Port Canaveral, and I understand the Moon Hut is closed, which was worth it for the atmosphere if nothing else. There's a good place for breakfast and Gyros down AIA from the Port (or at least there used to be). I also liked a sandwich place in Titusville whose name escapes me right now.

But for memories (it's long gone) there was the A&W Root Beer place we ate at when I was there for Apollo 17. I was on a very tight (college) budget, and they had very cheap food, good root beer and a friendly staff who didn't mind if we hung out in the AC.
++rich
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Thank you for the information. I understood the necessity for formality, but didn't realise why skirts wouldn't be included. I did not know there would be open stairs on the tour, and open stairs and skirts don't mix. Got it.

Oh, and they did mention low heel, closed shoes, but you would never catch me in 'high' shoes anywhere outside a gala dinner, so that is not an issue for me.

Thanks for the heads up about the water shock wave ripple. I will try to keep an eye out for it if I can. That is, if my eyeballs and camera lenses aren't all focussed to the shuttle.

And, while I do not eat fish or burgers, I will bring your list of restaurants with me. The fresh orange juice sounds most delicious! We will not have a car, so I am guessing our food choices will be limited to what is at the hotel, at KSC, and within walking distance.
- Jennifer -
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

My favorite KSC tour photo...

++rich
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow!

I highly doubt we will get that close.
- Jennifer -
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Post by rkolker »

SpaceCanada wrote:Wow!

I highly doubt we will get that close.
It's like my answer when people ask what the best viewing site is for shuttle launches and I say about 150 feet above the pad, lying on your back.

The story behind that picture (and the other one, which is in front of the rescue baskets) is that I managed a team on the shuttle program at KSC for a couple of years in an Apollo era temporary building behind the press site, but didn't have a pad pass because of some internal politics. After I left they fired the old project manager, and the one which replaced her gave my team the passes. So I went back down (between flights, obviously) for a visit and got my pad tour.

You'll probably go out to the pad and take pictures from just outside the pad complex itself, which is pretty damned close. The night photos in particular should be spectacular.

If you have a sense of history, visiting the old pads on the Air Force Station is also very special. The gantries are rotting away. They've removed the old Gemini Erector on Pad 19 that stood there for many years. If you can get them to stop there, go to Pad 34 (Apollo 1) and climb on top of the blockhouse for a great view of the Cape.
++rich