And then there were 2 Wally Schirra dead at 84

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

And then there were 2 Wally Schirra dead at 84

Post by Boomerang »

Today the Mercury 7 are now 2. NASA has confirmed astronaut Wally Schirra has died at age 84. This now only leaves John Glenn and Scott Carpenterof the original 7. Schirra flew on Mercury Atlas 8 also known as Sigma 7, Gemini Titan 6, on the first rendevous in space, and Apollo 7 outting the american program back in space after the Apollo 1 fire. He was the only astronaut to fly in all three programs. He will be missed.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

This sure was some sad news to come home to. I'm glad I had the chance to meet Wally at an astronaut autograph convention a few years ago. When the convention was over, I had some time to kill at the hotel before going to the airport, so started reading flight controller Sy Liebergot's autobiography. I realized someone had walked over to me, and looked up to see Wally peering at the page I was on, which has a pic of Sy's daughter riding a horse. He said jokingly, "You're reading about horses at a space convention"? I showed him what I was reading and he said "Oh! Well, that's okay then"!

Always getting a laugh, he was...I'll treasure the memory!
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004