How It All Started

A forum for the discussion of actual scientific events, phenomena, space-related news, etc.

Moderator: Vincent

How it all began...

Big Bang all the way!!
47%
Creation all the way!!
21%
I have my own wacko theory!!
21%
Who cares!!
11%

Total votes: 19
Traveler
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Traveler »

Benji wrote:And think about this: The Christain Bible was written by Jesus's friends. You know how your friends always mess up your stories? "And then he walked on water.""He didn't walk on water, you bonehead, you were drunk. It was a puddle."

I'm only kidding, don't take offense to what I just said. I'm sure the Apostles (is that who wrote it? I'm Jewish, I dunno) were very trustworthy.
LB206 is right. Sort of.. Most of the Bible was written before Jesus was born though, and what came after was mostly people like Paul, the converted Jew (If I remember correctly he is the author of Acts), who never meet Jesus in person. Quite a few books were written by his Disciples (the people closest to him), and its interesting if you read to discover who the Disciples were...one was a tax collector for the government, another was a doctor (or the ancient equivalent, whatever)! Paul was probably the most educated person who had part in writing the Bible, his Roman citizenship gave him access to what we would consider a university education. These were not stupid people (and they weren't drunk, lol)
Science is asking the question "Why" and trying to figure it out, where as some in the religious camp declare the question already answered. And that doesn't sit well with me.
Im glad you emphasized the 'some'. I happen to be of the opinion that science is proving creation on its own. I'd like to introduce you to a website run by Christians, who are scientists, who believe in a young earth, and (obviously) Special Creation. This is the Q/A part of their page, and it has an overload of information from a scientific viewpoint on creation.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp

Its kinda fun to look at the evidence evolutionists have come up with to try to prove evolution, and when you hear the truth behind the scientific methods of what they are saying you realize there's a major problem and major wholes in the science of evolution. Like carbon dating for example...its kinda been brushed under the rug, or at least i haven't head about anything really ancient being dated with it in recent news. When they first came out with it they did some fossil and said millions or billions or something to that effect...if you look into the science behind carbon dating you discover a few things...the half-life of the isotope of carbon they use in carbon dating is around 11,000 yrs (give or take i cant remember exacly) That means that in around 60,000 years using the most cutting edge technology to measure the carbon level, you cannot detect anything. It basically means carbon dating is useless after 60,000 yrs! okay I've railed long enough have fun chewing on all the great stuff at AIG's webpage (that is if you actually look...cause if you dont then...well you mouth will be empty and if you chew you'd be grinding your teeth and that would just be gross...so dont chew if you dont look...)
---Jerry---
I can die a happy man if I meet 3 other people who wear pocket protectors.
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

Have you ever been to any of the Answers in Genesis seminars? They're great. I used to go to a Christian school so anytime one was in town we got the middle school got to go to it. They are so cool and the guy that does them is hilarious.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Traveler
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Traveler »

stargazer0105 wrote:Have you ever been to any of the Answers in Genesis seminars? They're great. I used to go to a Christian school so anytime one was in town we got the middle school got to go to it. They are so cool and the guy that does them is hilarious.
lol yeah I went to a few. They're coming near me this weekend! I can't wait. Have you ever been to a WorldView Weekend? They usually invite the guy from AIG and lots of other people. It makes for a great weekend.
---Jerry---
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I can't say that I've ever been to a worldview weekend. I got on the site b/c I couldn't remember the name of the guy I've heard speak several times. It was Ken Hamm. Oh wow! Good times! I love to hear him speak b/c he can make me laugh.
AstroGirl
Camper
Camper

Post by AstroGirl »

I attended catholic school for a year and a half, and during that time I had a very talented religion teacher. She told us that the Genesis story was not necessarily true, and that the story of Creation and Adam and Eve were oral tradition handed down by the Jews, the same as the Ancient Greeks and Zeus and stuff. HOWEVER, the mythology ends and becomes reality with the story of Joseph (?) when they go to Egypt and become slaves and then escape and part the red sea and so on and so forth. I'm not saying that my religion teacher's word was gospel (so to speak), but she had some interesting points. Personally, I believe that God was sitting up in Heaven with nothing better to do and said "Hey, I think I'll make a really huge explosion and create the universe! Cool!" Sorry if I've offended anyone's beliefs, this is just my crazy theory :roll:
"Kiss my aft!"
"OMFG The bus is on fire!"
SA Allied Signal 1999
ASA Shepard 2001
ASA Tereshkova 2002
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I'm quite impressed that this is such a peaceful discussion. I commend all of you(us). I personally am a strong creationist and completely believe the Bible. However, my opinion said I would also like to say that I feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I won't force my opinion on anyone. I know what that feels like and don't ever want to do it to anyone. Anyway, good job everyone.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

You dont realize how much people who dont beleive precisely what you do appreciate that. Nothing annoys me more than when somebody just wont accept my ideas. Nobody said they had to like them lol, just let me enjoy them. Anyway i too am surprised by the calmness of this topic as it usual tends to get heated.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

I transferred to public school for the first time in my life b/c I felt like the private "Christian" school I was at was forcing stuff on me.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

One of my friends is a rather hard core activist in christianity. I dont mind if thats what she wants to believe but if i get told that im going to hell one more time im gonna blow a gasket with her. I dont bother her about what she thinks but everytime i open my mouth i get told im going to hell because im a bad person. I guess i just think that fundamentially good people arnt condemned to hell. However, this is obviously just my belief.
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
Traveler
Counselor
Counselor

line

Post by Traveler »

AstroGirl wrote:She told us that the Genesis story was not necessarily true, and that the story of Creation and Adam and Eve were oral tradition handed down by the Jews, the same as the Ancient Greeks and Zeus and stuff. HOWEVER, the mythology ends and becomes reality with the story of Joseph (?) when they go to Egypt and become slaves and then escape and part the red sea and so on and so forth. word was gospel (so to speak), but she had some interesting points.
What made your teacher think that the myth ended and becomes reality when Moses led the Hebrew people out of Egypt?

If, she [your teacher] could easily dismiss the Genesis account of creation, what would stop her from discrediting the rest of the Bible?
If a person can discredit one part of the Bible, then the rest can also be discredited.
It (the Bible) has to be taken as a whole, the sum of its parts, and should not be fragmented to the things we accept and the things we do not. To accept part of the Bible should be to accept all of it, and to reject part of it should be to reject all of it, not to merely pick out the parts that make us feel good, or leave out the parts we dont understand, or that make us uncomfortable.
---Jerry---