Help Shakedown the "Sorta New" Site!

Have something to say about Hab1.com? Or perhaps you'd like to make a suggestion. You can post such things relating to Hab1.com here. This forum will also be used for announcements related to the site/forum/etc.

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help Shakedown the "Sorta New" Site!

Post by Vincent »

Over the last week+ I have been rewriting Hab1.com...not to update it's look and make it any more shiny or pretty...no, of course not (but perhaps that will come someday)!

What I have done though is to make it much easier to update! This should hopefully mean more content in the future!

Often times, things I've had to put on the site have to wait for some time to get up there, because with the current site it is such a pain to update! That should (for the most part) change with this new site.

But to make sure I've worked out all of the bugs, I need you to visit it and look around...Then go here and let me know if you run into any troubling errors or bugs!

The new site's temporary home is at hab1.vazzo.com

Please note that the site is in beta and certain things are not yet completed (HabPhotos, etc.)...Currently I am most concerned that some random errors could pop up!

Also, that site's copy of the HabForum is slightly out of date. Go ahead and post there if you want (actually, please do as it will help with the testing), but keep in mind that anything you post there will eventually be deleted as it's meant for testing only.

Thank you for your help!

-Vincent
Last edited by Vincent on Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I clicked post reply and it took me back to the hab forum index. :?
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I couldn't even log into the HabForum on the new site, it took me back to this site actually...

I will keep fiddling around with the new site, visiting the archives and stuff to see if I can find any random errors or omissions.

Thanks Vincent for keeping Hab1 as the best Space Camp website around.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I havnt noticed any bugs yet but things do seem to be running a little faster. I think it also looks a little more elegant. :)
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

WHERE:
http://hab1.vazzo.com/about.php

WHAT:

typo: east -> ease

OTHER COMMENTS:
- Yay for updated links!
- The HabForum on the 'new' site still brings me to the 'original' HabForum when I log in.
- Is there a way to put a 'home' link on the HabForum pages? When we are in the forum there is no link to return you to the Hab1.com homepage. Just a quirk I have known for a while and never mentioned. Unless, of course, there is such a link that I do not know of...
- Can we make it so in the 'programs' section you can click on the logos and it brings up a programme summary? It might be nice for first-timers to get a summary or another perspective of the different programmes. Just a thought...

Other than that, all minor details, everything looks good. Keep up the excellent work Vincent! Let me know if there is anything (non-code/programming) stuff I can do to help.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Space Nerd wrote:I havnt noticed any bugs yet but things do seem to be running a little faster. I think it also looks a little more elegant. :)
I'm glad you think things are running a little faster. All of the common elements are now using PHP includes which are technically a bit faster than Server Side Includes...so some speedup *might* be noticeable there. Of course, more of the site is generated on-the-fly, so that might technically slow things down (but probably not noticeably). At the same time, it's hosted on a different server from a different company. I am quite sure I am leaving my current host when I launch the new site, but I won't if it's noticeably slower...
SpaceCanada wrote:- Yay for updated links!
Yeah...not only does it look better, I think (only having one screen shot takes up less space while making the featured link stand out), but it's now incredibly simple to update! I can actually add links to all of the people's sites who've emailed me! :D
SpaceCanada wrote:- The HabForum on the 'new' site still brings me to the 'original' HabForum when I log in.
Regarding the HabForum issues, those were just due to the fact that it isn't currently located at hab1.com. I've "fixed" that glitch in the forum.
SpaceCanada wrote:- Is there a way to put a 'home' link on the HabForum pages? When we are in the forum there is no link to return you to the Hab1.com homepage. Just a quirk I have known for a while and never mentioned. Unless, of course, there is such a link that I do not know of...
I'll dig around...it shouldn't be hard...and you are correct that their certainly should be one. I suppose I could add a menu like the one in the HabPhotos section to the top if nothing else. Because, right now, the only link back to the main page is my "WWW" link!

And the way it sort of got overlooked is that, a long time ago, the HabForum would open in a new window when you clicked on it in the menu. As such, no link back would be needed. Some time ago, I decided I hated web sites that did that, so I removed it.
SpaceCanada wrote:- Can we make it so in the 'programs' section you can click on the logos and it brings up a programme summary? It might be nice for first-timers to get a summary or another perspective of the different programmes. Just a thought...
This has been my original intention for (this is so embarrassing) five years now. I've started to write summaries of all of them, photos and all. But every time I start I just get the feeling I'm not doing the descriptions justice and delete everything. Though I feel I'm a reasonably competent writer, I just haven't been able to do it! :(
SpaceCanada wrote:Other than that, all minor details, everything looks good. Keep up the excellent work Vincent! Let me know if there is anything (non-code/programming) stuff I can do to help.

Thanks! Hey, if you want to work on some summaries... :wink:
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

When I'm on the index, I see the orange tags so I know there's a new post in a specific area, but when I go into the forum, I don't see any orange tags telling me that there's a new post in that thread since my last visit. :?
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I'm pretty sure any/all of the forum issues are because hab1.com is not always resolving to the new server just yet.

Once this happens, I think everything will be okay...but until that happens, I can't be sure of what else could be wrong, nor can I test it...

...hopefully within another 12-24 hours the domain change will propagate through all of the DNS servers...