Places In The Movie

What Space Camp forum would be complete without a place to talk about one of the best/worst movies of all time, SpaceCamp, as well as all Space Camp references in pop culture.

Moderator: Vincent

Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Places In The Movie

Post by Mdanner423 »

Hey,

Watching the movie is like wow, where are they? I can see some famillar sights. The apollo rocket with the white supports is now the same rocket with blue supports. I see the exit of the musuem that goes down to rocket park. Where is that fountain???

The hab that they are in? I never went to space camp, but by the yellow air pipes its obvious that is huntsville, or once was. Is that still there? I am thinking that that was before the Habs as we know them were there. That big space camp sign, is that where the security booth is now? Making a page with screen shots comparing the two would be awesome.

I also love how they get to roam around in the movie, like through rocket park and stuff, I wonder if it used to be more freedom, like, you can do what you want when your team isnt doing stuff... Anyone from the early 90s/late 80s campers around?
-Matthew
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Your questions about the hab can probably be answered here.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd ask, where is the parking lot scene exactly, where the whole, "You're parking in my spot" conversation takes place? That's the one place that really sticks out in my mind and when I'm there in September, I want to be sure to say I've been there. I assume it looks for the most part now like it did then? Would I immediately recognize it when i saw it?
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

P51, take a look at a scan of a US lobby card that shows a little bit of that scene:

http://www.richasi.com/SpaceLink/Movie/ ... obby05.jpg

Notice the white dish in the upper right?

Now take a look at an older post card I scanned showing an overview of the site in question:

http://www.richasi.com/SpaceLink/USSRC/ ... an0011.jpg

Same dish (or appears to be). The area in question appears to be the bus loading/offloading area, perhaps before it was covered and perhaps before the lobby was built/enclosed (as seen in the PC), but I don't know.
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I agree, it sure looks like the same set of stairs. So that's a bus loading zone now, and not a parking lot anymore? Darn, I was going to be sure to park there... :wink:
Beats me why I am so fixated on this spot, but it was the scene I remembered the most when I first saw the movie when it first came out (yes, I'm old enough to have seen the movie in its first release in the theaters).
Skidmark

Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Well, it USED to be the loading/unloading zone for the Marshall tours, now it's nothing more than a roped off lot displaying the SR-71/A-12. There appear to be more trees there now and the configuration of the area appears different. This might have ocurred when the lobby was built out, but that's before my time. =)

So, while you can't park out there you most certainly can walk out there. But it won't look anything like it did in the movie, sadly.
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re:

Post by p51 »

Richasi wrote:So, while you can't park out there you most certainly can walk out there.
The devil, you say, you can't park there! :wink: I waited until the night before I went to camp when it was dark, and drove my rental van right up to that very parking space, using screen prints from my DVD of the movie. It's still there and the lines can be seen but badly faded. There's just enough room to get a car there but not much. No way you could do that in the daytime, though. I should have gotten a photo of me doing that, but the flash would have probably brought security my way...
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Places In The Movie

Post by street »

Security wouldn't have bugged you too much, as long as you told them what you were doing. I've been known to pull into that spot for a mad dash in to the lobby area for work related stuff. I'd warn security and was in and out in less than 2 minutes. I don't recommend it during business hours though! Now that Marshall tours have been resumed, it would be awkward to back into a bus!
Living the dream